The S.Q. on ipod classic is awful
Jul 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #31 of 39
MY 2 cents

The " Ipod Video" as it was referred to upon release was originaly 30gb and 60gb(5th gen) both with a Wolfson DAC. I've had them both and IMHO excelent except for the lack of user EQ interface. Them came the 80GB (5.5 gen) and of course I had to have one so I used it as an excuse to give the 60 to my son. Again Wofson Dac. excelent SQ.... Then while the "Classic" was in R&D Apple brought out the 160gb Video (5.5gen). My friend Mona bought one and I helped her load it up get used to it and Itunes. It's still synced to my computer and I listen to it often. They stopped using the Wolfson DAC in the new "Classic" and the SQ went downhill from there, but Apple was trying to get storage space for movies more than concentrating on audio SQ. I prefer the SQ of even the stock Windows Media Player over the Apple, but as you can see from my SIG, I still buy the iPods.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting... I was also under the impression that the 5.0 and 5.5 were the same circuitry, just different hardrive capacities. Maybe not? I wonder what's the difference exactly.

Yes but you're using the AKG's that you've have said you don't like

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/loo...7/#post5818275

Please don't put you cart before your Arse !!!.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #33 of 39
Yes, that is true but they sound different on my home stereo and car stereo with shure 420's with akg k240. Infact, even my gf(no audiophile) who can listen to music on monitor speakers commented on the difference without me ever mentioning anything to her. I have no doubts it's true.

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #35 of 39
Many people in this thread who like the Classic's SQ are using its line-out, passing the Ipod's amp. This is completely different from the OP's situation, where he uses the headphone out and therefor is hearing the Ipod's amp.

I once tried the Classic (using its headphone jack) and thought it was very shrill sounding, unlike my iPod photo's headphone out.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #36 of 39
I bought the classic when it first came out. In terms of SQ, it's leaps and bounds over my Samsung K3 and Creative Neeon2; but falls way below my Creative TX FM.

The classic's SQ to me is really clear, but it's a tad too bright; causing my ears to fatigue in a short period of time. I listen to Head-Direct RE-2 and audio-technica AD700s and the soundstage seems cramped. Deep bass is non-existent. Mid-centric sound all around.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #37 of 39
Yes, 5.5g ipod for the win! This is one of the best ipods for sure. The classic's sq is a bit too harsh and analytical as opposed to the 5g with its warmer sound. I miss my 5.5g
frown.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #38 of 39
5.5G was okay. I never remembered it to be anything too special, as I seem to enjoy my iPhones much more. I found the power on the headphone-out of the 5.5G lacking.

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the first thread I've seen where people are complaining about the SQ on the 6G Classic - for those who are asking if the SQ changed, this is the first model that uses the new Cirrus Logic audio chip. Apple previously bought their audio chips from Wolfson, so it follows that there the physical change would mean a change in SQ.

I'd still like to hear one, but I wont be ditching my Cowon or Sony players anytime soon.

I'd didn't realise the 6G was that poorly rated by the majority here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back