The S.Q. on ipod classic is awful
Jul 10, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 39
Different strokes for different folks
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there were any, this would be the first time anybody has mentioned such a thing.

Also, I personally would find it hilarious if it turns out the OP bought it from somebody who either had a defective iPod, or left the EQ to "Treble Booster," and he never thought of checking that as the culprit.
tongue.gif

LOL, Either EQ is crap.....
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 39
This is the first thread I've seen where people are complaining about the SQ on the 6G Classic - for those who are asking if the SQ changed, this is the first model that uses the new Cirrus Logic audio chip. Apple previously bought their audio chips from Wolfson, so it follows that there the physical change would mean a change in SQ.

I'd still like to hear one, but I wont be ditching my Cowon or Sony players anytime soon.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

thin, shrill, no soundstage to speak of whatsoever and worst of all very fatiguing to listen to.

Exactly how all ipods I owned/tried sounded to my ears, mini G1, ipod G2, G3, G4 then I gave up...all of them the opposite of pleasant full sounding, lacking bass and midbass warmth and piercing treble. I still do not understand how these things became so wildly popular, while there are so many much better sounding DAPs on the market.

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that the only difference between 5.0 and 5.5 was that the 5.5 was 80 GB vs. the 5G @ 30/60 GB ??? Am I an idiot?

No, you are not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarkovsky7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update: After listening to the 5.5 ipod for a bit i think i prefer the 5.0.
Pros 5.5
Cleaner sound(headphone jack routing)
Better highs
Tighter bass

Pros 5.0
Amazing mids

I call BS. What headphones are you listening on? What's the amp? Are you sure all EQ settings are the same/off? No way you can hear such a subtle difference, if there's even a difference at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly how all ipods I owned/tried sounded to my ears, mini G1, ipod G2, G3, G4 then I gave up...all of them the opposite of pleasant full sounding, lacking bass and midbass warmth and piercing treble. I still do not understand how these things became so wildly popular, while there are so many much better sounding DAPs on the market.

Same reason Rolex is the most popular watch
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #21 of 39
First off i'm using:
AKG k240
shure 420
all mp3's are encoded at 320kbs ACC
equalizer off

and there is a huge difference in sound between the ipod 5 and 5.5. The difference is as great as the difference between the 5.0 and ipod classic. The 5.0 has muted highs(rolled-off?) a chunkier bass(less exact) but amazing mids and a very rich, full soundstage.

The 5.5 has a much cleaner sound, probably because the routing is closer to the classic but the sound is thinner and the sound stage far less rich. I don't particularly like the highs as they sound tinny and the music doesn't seem rooted.

Overall, i prefer the 5.0 but I think it is atleast reasonable to prefer the 5.5.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tarkovsky7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off i'm using:
AKG k240
shure 420
all mp3's are encoded at 320kbs ACC
equalizer off

and there is a huge difference in sound between the ipod 5 and 5.5. The difference is as great as the difference between the 5.0 and ipod classic. The 5.0 has muted highs(rolled-off?) a chunkier bass(less exact) but amazing mids and a very rich, full soundstage.

The 5.5 has a much cleaner sound, probably because the routing is closer to the classic but the sound is thinner and the sound stage far less rich. I don't particularly like the highs as they sound tinny and the music doesn't seem rooted.

Overall, i prefer the 5.0 but I think it is atleast reasonable to prefer the 5.5.

Interesting... I was also under the impression that the 5.0 and 5.5 were the same circuitry, just different hardrive capacities. Maybe not? I wonder what's the difference exactly.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still do not understand how these things became so wildly popular, while there are so many much better sounding DAPs on the market.

It's most likely because of the way the iPod, iTunes software, and iTunes store all work together. iTunes and other online places that sell lossy music files are where most kids get their music from. It's certainly convenient, but it's not half as fun as tracking down old CDs that weren't mastered with compression, noise reduction, and other bad stuff.

That, and Apple's marketing. What would've happened to the iPod if they never made it PC compatible? Would the Walkman be #1 in portable audio again?

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #25 of 39
The iPod Classic has weaker sound quality compared to my old Sony NW-HD3, but I'm not going to notice the difference when I'm outdoors with all that background noise around....

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #26 of 39
I am thinking of getting a 5th gen ipod, I really want to try rockbox. I have a Sansa Clip v2 and I am not sure if Rockbox is available for it yet. The reason why I want a rockboxed ipod is because I found a good deal on the ipod but my music collection is all in FLAC and it would be nice to just transfer it over and use the lossless format.
ksc75smile.gif
I'm not sure if apple lets the new ipods to work with rockbox.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashkii21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking of getting a 5th gen ipod, I really want to try rockbox. I have a Sansa Clip v2 and I am not sure if Rockbox is available for it yet. The reason why I want a rockboxed ipod is because I found a good deal on the ipod but my music collection is all in FLAC and it would be nice to just transfer it over and use the lossless format.
ksc75smile.gif
I'm not sure if apple lets the new ipods to work with rockbox.

5.5 is the newest generation of iPods that are compatible with rockbox. Also, you can use dBpoweramp to convert almost any format to almost any other format.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #28 of 39
umm... 5.5 versus 5th gen... sq wise.. Ughh... you know what screw it my 5.5/5 hybrid beats whatever crap you got. The mixture of a super 5.5 gen battery with a 5 board + the LCD screen of a 5th gen with the super rare U2 Click wheel create ABSOLUTELY AMAZING SQ. ...

Oh in case it's not clear... I'm being sarcastic.

but in general my 5 and 5.5 (I can't tell them apart one's at work and the other at home... no difference) has a more pleasing sound than the 6th gen. I'm not gonna say SQ because quite frankly I read SQ at this point as Signal to noise, otherwise you're talking about subjective stuff that all depends on people's preferences.

Jul 11, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not gonna say SQ because quite frankly I read SQ at this point as Signal to noise, otherwise you're talking about subjective stuff that all depends on people's preferences.

Bravo!

It's all about sound signature, baby.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #30 of 39
Hmm! I don't own one, but that does not stop me from giving an opinion. LOL.

Try a portable headphone amp. Me thinks (and I could be wrong) that the classic just can't drive your ear buds or cans.

I like Ipods for convenience and ease of use, but for sound I have my other players. (Trekstor Vibez and Cowon D2).

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back