The right to bear arms
Feb 15, 2006 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Lavalamp

100+ Head-Fier
Do you own a firearm?

Have you ever fired a shot in anger?

I live in a society with very stringent gun controls, and I'm curious to hear about other people's experiences.

Feb 15, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 25
YEP -

Wife and I have concealed weapons permit, and we carry everywhere. The Wife and Daughter and I were just at the range yesterday, doing our twice monthly practice, keeping sharp - haven't even cleaned the weapons yet. We each typically shoot between 100 and 200 rounds each session.

Do a search on "gun, guns, and/or weapons" at this site, and I am sure you will find a lot of reading on my opinion and everyone with an opinion who felt like posting.

I reload my own ammo. I am a Range Safety Officer at the local gun range, I teach shooting and gun safety at the range, and have apprenticed with a Gunsmith for a period of time. I have taken several training courses, the first of which I took in about 1971, while I was in the United States Merchant Marine Academy. There I was on the Rifle and Pistol Team.

I buy them, have sold a few of them (Long ago), and have traded them. All my family's guns are locked up (except our carry pieces) in a large, heavy, bolted to the foundation, fire rated, armored safe. the only times that my weapon is out of my reach is when I enter places where it is prohibited by law, and then it is locked in a travel safe not too far away. My carry weapon is loaded at all times, except for cleaning (usually twice a week).

Neither my Wife nor I have ever fired a shot in anger. Have never even "cleared leather". Hope to never have to. Have always been able to reason/argue my way out of situations, or have been physically intimidating enough to avoid any violence - (I am 6'5", and have always been over 250#...now more). Have had my nose bloodied a couple of times, but didn't feel it was time to pull a weapon, or that I might have deserved the poke.

I agree with the bumper sticker: "An Armed Society is a Polite Society". The shootouts that are depicted in movies are almost all gross misrepresentations of real situations, if they have any basis in reality (which a vanishingly small proportion do).

Now, for more, go do that search.

Regards

Feb 15, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavalamp
Do you own a firearm?

No. I don't hunt and so rifles never appealed to me. A coachgun would be fine for home defense, but I always seem to find something else that needs the money more. And I don't own a C&C permit, because I'm really just too lazy to fill-out the 10+ pages of paperwork and wait for 16 months to get my license (whihc would also cost several hundred dollars).

Quote:

My brother is a collector and I've fired several hundred rounds with His firearms at the range, but never fired at anyone in anger, no.

Feb 15, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Do you own a firearm?

Yup, an air pistol. Wanted one of these since I was a little boy, and finally got one for myself a couple of months ago.

Quote:

I did - but I missed the bloody mosquito, anyway.
wink.gif

Quote:

I live in a society with very stringent gun controls, and I'm curious to hear about other people's experiences.

Me too, and I'm fairly happy with it. It seems to work well for Germany. However, I might feel different, if I lived in the US, Russia et cetera...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 15, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 25
I grew up in Alabama and practiced for a Marksmanship merit badge, but I've never owned a gun, and I hope I never feel compelled to.

I've known some exemplary gun-owners in the South, but I would be glad if gun distribution and safety laws became stricter in the US. If only all gun owners were as well-trained, cautious and responsible as KYTGuy above, I'd have no qualms about the right to bear arms.

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
...but I would be glad if gun distribution and safety laws became stricter in the US...

The tricky part would be getting those to obey the weapon laws who would use said weapons for a crime.

I own a small .22 magnum Rifle that I use for fun/target practice. It actually is still at my parents home locked in a safe. I grew up using guns and have a very well taught understanding of gun safety. My family was/is very strict about the proper way to handle a firearm.

I have never fired a shot out of anger, and hope I never have to. [edit]What I mean is I will never fire out of anger, and hope I never have to fire in defense.[/edit]

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Do you own a firearm?

Yes, I own a firearm and plan to own more. I have never fired a shot in anger.

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 25
i'm a city boy, so i admit i'm no gunman. but i used to shoot .22 rifles at summer camp, and it was certainly a rush for an 11 year old. i was a lousy shot, though.

i have no problem with small arms ownership, but i also have no problem with stringent training and licensing standards as well as bans on large guage and armor-piercing ammo.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 25
Living in the UK and not being able to own firearms I don't own one. My dad borrowed an air gun off of a mate once and I fired a blank from that in the backyard once.... that's the closest I've ever come to hearing a gun shot (outside of a movie/computer game)

Personally never felt any want to have a gun even if they were available (guess that might be different if I felt that everyone else walking the streets had one as I've met some rather unpleasent people walking round the streets from time to time - being able to run away from any kind of threat without fear of being fired on is a plus in my book! lol)

I do find it interesting reading about people who do own guns and are very responsible with them (keeping them locked up securely/making sure that children are properly taught about how to use them responsibly) At least if home ownership is such a big thing then it's people like that who should be allowed to have them in my view.... but overall I'm happy that here in the UK it's not that easy to get hold of them.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 25
There is a ban on armour piercing/steel jacketed bullets.
Not to be a debbie downer, but this topic sounds mighty political.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
"An Armed Society is a Polite Society"

I think the most civil and polite countries in the world do not allow their citizens to own firearms. Conversely, guns are prevalent in every violent, murderous, or war torn country.

I just wish every gun owner is as conscientious as you and your family. But that is not the reality unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back