The Review Tour of FiiO Q5 Flagship Bluetooth and DSD-Capable DAC & Amplifier Starts Right Now!
Feb 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #181 of 367
Please consider me for the tour:
•-Headphone(s) / earphone(s) you possess: CA Orion, CA Lyra II, Noble N4, Senn HD650, Senn PX200, Denon AH-D600, Grado SR80
•-Any DAP(s) / DAC(s) / amp(s) you may possess: Sony NWA-35, Ibasso DX80, JDS Labs C5D, ALO Amphora, RSA Raptor
•-Descriptions and links to review(s) you may have posted: Nothing yet.
•-Your geographical region (e.g. the city and country you live in): New Jersey USA
•-Your native language (and any other languages you may be able to write in) English

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #182 of 367
Feb 14, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #183 of 367
Headphone(s) / earphone(s) you possess:
Shozy Stardust earbud
Meze 99 Classic
Focal Utopia

Any DAP(s) / DAC(s) / amp(s) you may possess:
Fiio X7 II
Cavalli Liquid Carbon
Violectric V281

Descriptions and links to review(s) you may have posted:frowning2:of the top of my head + impressions of other gear across the site, got a list of my previous gears in my profile)
- Campfire Audio IEM lineup (Orion, Lyra, Lyra II, Jupiter, Andromeda)
- Noble Audio Savant
- Ifi Nano iDSD BL
- Sennheiser HD800s
- Sony MDR-Z1R
- Fiio X5 III
- Fiio X7
- Fiio X7 II
- Cayin I5

Your geographical region (e.g. the city and country you live in):
Melbourne Australia

Your native language (and any other languages you may be able to write in):
English

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #184 of 367
For those who are going to connect Android to Q5 via USB-C port: Please get this USB OTG cable to avoid your phone reverse-charging the Q5. This may drain your phone's battery really quickly. I recommend this cable because USB C is not standardized across all manufacturers and your device may or may not reverse-charge the Q5 if you connect with a random USB C to Micro OTG cable.

AFAIK, USB C to Micro OTG cable is not included in the factory package of Q5. @Ynot1 please confirm my statement tq.

eBay link:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292052970340

Hamster

HI everybody and Fiio

This is my first post !

My Q5 just arrive via DHL from Fiio Officials Aliexpress. It takes about 2 weeks, which is very fast regarding customs etc.

Just done unboxing, with the sheep doll and leather case.

My source is Flac from Xiaomi mi 5 with Neutron player.

Works fine, also DSD files.

But....

The phone battery got drained very fast.

Since Q5 have separate micro USB port for charging, this issue is IMHO overlooked by RnD team.

If hardware wise it is not possible to make the port stop receiving energy from the cable. I wish the next firmware able to do so.

Mean while, since Xiaomi mi 5 not yet Oreo, i won't used Bluetooth for connection.

Also it's not easy to find usb C to micro USB here in Indonesia. Please someone inform me the right cable from Aliexpress or GearBest.

@Hamster, the eBay link not working.

BTW, in short minute listening to Q5, the sound is good.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #186 of 367
HI everybody and Fiio

This is my first post !

My Q5 just arrive via DHL from Fiio Officials Aliexpress. It takes about 2 weeks, which is very fast regarding customs etc.

But....

Since Q5 have separate micro USB port for charging, this issue is IMHO overlooked by RnD team.

If hardware wise it is not possible to make the port stop receiving energy from the cable. I wish the next firmware able to do so.

Mean while, since Xiaomi mi 5 not yet Oreo, i won't used Bluetooth for connection.

Also it's not easy to find usb C to micro USB here in Indonesia. Please someone inform me the right cable from Aliexpress or GearBest.

Hi! welcome to head-fi!
What cable are you using? If it can't do proprer OTG it can drain your phone's battery. Does the LED on the front of Q5 pulsate during music listening?
Also if there is no audio signal and the DAC auto shuts off, it will start charging from your phone.
Using the USB-C to Micro cable provided by FiiO with the review unit, I had no drain problems with the Q5 when it was turned on and connected to my HTC 10.
More here bottom of page.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #188 of 367
Please tell me more! I've been curious about the Q5 with AM5 module. Have you used FiiO's A5 amp? If so, how does Q5+AM5 compare?

I don't / didn't have A5 actually, but Q5 + AM05 is really really love.

At thius point I can't point the differences between X7mkii and Q5 that well, if they're using the same AMP module, but man is Q5 sweet.

Especially with something like LCD-4MX, you can place your Q5 and cables in a pocket, then use an APT-X controller source to enjoy something like the might of LCD-4MX on-the-go...

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #189 of 367
I don't / didn't have A5 actually, but Q5 + AM05 is really really love.

At thius point I can't point the differences between X7mkii and Q5 that well, if they're using the same AMP module, but man is Q5 sweet.

Especially with something like LCD-4MX, you can place your Q5 and cables in a pocket, then use an APT-X controller source to enjoy something like the might of LCD-4MX on-the-go...
Thanks. I need this in my life! What are your thoughts on the AM3A vs AM5?

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #190 of 367
Thanks. I need this in my life! What are your thoughts on the AM3A vs AM5?

AM5 is much much better to my ears, better definition, better clarity, better control, louder, wider soundstage, more instrument separation, much much more dynamic.

(I only tested AM5 with really hard to drive headphones like Amiron or LCD-4 so far. Amiron swallows 80% of its volume , LCD-4 swallows less, but both reach the full AM03A maximum volume, so AMP5 is needed for them)

I will also test with IEMs soon, I did not do that

One thing I can tell you from the start is the top end... MAN that top end has all the extension and sparkle you need. I sold the E12A I bought a few years ago because the top end was too smooth for me, so it lacked sparkle and wasn't engaging enough. Welp, AMP5 for Q5 is sparkly and neutral, an amazing AMP

BTW, I wouldn't say AMP5 is too warm or has any inclination for the sound, just better overall clarity and especially dynamics than AM03A, AM03A already being quite excellent in my book. An excellent adition to an already excellent product :darthsmile:

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #191 of 367
AM5 is much much better to my ears, better definition, better clarity, better control, louder, wider soundstage, more instrument separation, much much more dynamic.

(I only tested AM5 with really hard to drive headphones like Amiron or LCD-4 so far. Amiron swallows 80% of its volume , LCD-4 swallows less, but both reach the full AM03A maximum volume, so AMP5 is needed for them)

One thing I can tell you from the start is the top end... MAN that top end has all the extension and sparkle you need. I sold the E12A I bought a few years ago because the top end was too smooth for me, so it lacked sparkle and wasn't engaging enough. Welp, AMP5 for Q5 is sparkly and neutral, an amazing AMP

BTW, I wouldn't say AMP5 is too warm or has any inclination for the sound, just better overall clarity and especially dynamics than AM03A, AM03A already being quite excellent in my book. An excellent adition to an already excellent product :darthsmile:
This is so exciting to hear! My body is ready! Thanks for the info.

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #192 of 367

This is so exciting to hear! My body is ready! Thanks for the info.
Just ordered thanks to George! Will be here Friday. Can't wait!!!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #195 of 367
HI everybody and Fiio

This is my first post !

But....

Android is obviously a jungle for peripheral support!

eBay link for those who needs a proper USB C to Micro OTG which does not draw current:
If the link does not work, key in keywords "Micro USB to Type C OTG Oppo HA2SE".

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292052970340

Hamster

Users who are viewing this thread

Back