The Return of the King!!!
Oct 6, 2003 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

zeplin

1000+ Head-Fier
before you read this...
there is a slight spoiler warning for those who do not know what will happen in the third movie installment!!!

has anyone seen the newest trailer for the LOTR: The Return of the King? my oh my does this one look to be the most unbelievable movie ever, IMO!!! i liked the first two books and movies equally, but there's something about the way the third book is told that is so exciting...and i can't wait to see how awesome the movie will be! i think it's all the people that are involved from around middle earth, and how the race of men come together to help conquer evil. plus the story line and what things Aragorn does to change the tides, for good or bad, of the war. as far as the special editions go, i think i'll like the special edition, The Two Towers the best...based on how the book is told and how many scenes they will include in the special edition from the book! for instance, in the book, there are a huge number of parts that involve Fangorn (sp?) or his name mentioned in the movie, Treebeard...like when Merry and Pippin go to Treebeard's home, where they sleep, eat, and more importantly talk about things such as Treebeards lost love interest, as well as many other things.

one thing that worries me though, is something that happens in the very end of the third book. the ordeal that takes place in the Shire as the hobbits arrive back at home. i'm wondering if the movie will even include that whole part??? i hope so?! but that would, i imagine, make an already long movie obviously even longer. because the third book is the second longest compared to the Fellowship...that's not including the appendix in the back of book three, which doesn't count.

my fellow LOTR freaks...
any thoughts, predictions?

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
one thing that worries me though, is something that happens in the very end of the third book. the ordeal that takes place in the Shire as the hobbits arrive back at home. i'm wondering if the movie will even include that whole part??? i hope so?! but that would, i imagine, make an already long movie obviously even longer. because the third book is the second longest compared to the Fellowship...that's not including the appendix in the back of book three, which doesn't count.

If it doesn't make the theatrical cut, I imagine it will be on the Extended Edition DVD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 18
I'm curious about how they're going to deal with Gollum's fall and the ring - we'll they through him in there, or he'll fall himself or something else. The pilot for the third installment does seem very ...for a lack of a better word "epic".

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 18
I'll bet he still has wood for her...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

...like when Merry and Pippin go to Treebeard's home, where they sleep, eat, and more importantly talk about things such as Treebeards lost love interest...

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 18
LOL archosman
biggrin.gif

zeplin, glad to know there're more "normal" LOTR nerds out there.
tongue.gif
(btw did you ever get your Rega?). I too can't wait to see more of the Treebeard scenes reinserted into the film...I was left quite unhappy with how the orig theatrical cut dealt with the Ents.

as for Gollum, I've been wondering about his demise myself, but somehow he'll end up nice and toasty. Saruman however...it will be interesting how they cover that portion.

only a few months to go....cant wait!

Oct 6, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 18
Man o man does that trailer look awesome. Looks like I'm going to be rereading all of the books just to get caught up again with the story.

Is it me or does this trailer seem *a lot* more epic than the ones for the first two movies?

Oct 6, 2003 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 18
Should be fun. All the interviews I've seen with folks involved in the project say that RotK is the best of the three films.

I wonder what they'll change relative to the book, since they've made significant changes elsewhere. Note that in one spot, Galadriel says that the quest will take Frodo's life--I wonder if that's foreshadowing a change from the book...

Oct 6, 2003 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 18
I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the entire "Scouring of the Shire" portion out, considering that the Tom Bombadil/Old Forest portion was completely excised. It is quite anti-climactic compared to the destruction of the Ring and the deliverance of Middle Earth, but I don't know how they will deal with the fate of Saruman and Grima Wormtongue otherwise...if I had to venture a guess, they might well deal with that portion in a voice over, like the origin of the Ring and how it came into Bilbo's possession. It might go something like this, after the Ringbearers return from Rivendell: "And so the Ringbearers journied home after hopeless struggle and valiant success, only to find the home they left in disarray, for Saruman and Grima Wormtongue were still yet able to do mischief, and longed to harm the hobbits that were their downfall." (scenes of the imprisonment of hobbits by other hobbits and Saruman and Grima giving orders to wicked hobbits, as well as hobbits tearing up gardens and causing general mischief. Sam and Frodo arrive home and their may be scenes of them assessing the problem and deciding to rally the hobbits, ending in the final overthrow of Saruman and Grima, I reckon no more than five additional minutes of scenes.)

Oct 6, 2003 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 18
Didn't they allude to the "Scouring of the Shire" in the predictions at Lothlorien? So I would at least expect them to address it in some form or another. I think Jeff makes a good point in that it's rather anti-climatic in light of events that happened just prior to it all. So for the sake of flow and the film it wouldn't surprise me if they just gloss over it.

Oct 6, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 18
zeplin: Oh, LotR, I see. I was exspecting you having seen Elvis, though...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 6, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 18
MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS

Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
Didn't they allude to the "Scouring of the Shire" in the predictions at Lothlorien?

I was watching the 1st movie recently and I used to think the same thing, except if I recall correctly, humans took over the Shire in the book, and in the prediction at Lothlorien, there were Orcs there. That would be a major change, as well as a strange idea that Hobbits killed Orcs in the end.

Oct 6, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

my fellow LOTR freaks...
any thoughts, predictions?

From what I can tell, New Line is being mum about this. Early interviews indicate that "Scouring" did make the cut, but with some tweaks. Sauruman apparently dies at Orthanac. Also, in the books, men were in control of the shire, I bet they'll put thier whiz-bang orcs in the movie. That could be the "tweaking" refered to. The real end of the books, with the ships leaving for the havens, is preserved. Supposedly...

I think cutting "scouring" would be a big loss. Tom Bombadil was cuttable, but "The scouring" has allways distinguised LOTR from the other "and they lived happily ever after" endings in my mind.

Other notes:

The extended versions of FOTR and TTT will be playing in theaters for about a week leading up to the release of ROTK.

I'm waiting for them to release the big extended version set. They got my money twice with FOTR and the extended version, I'm not gonna let that happen again.

Oct 6, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS

I was watching the 1st movie recently and I used to think the same thing, except if I recall correctly, humans took over the Shire in the book, and in the prediction at Lothlorien, there were Orcs there. That would be a major change, as well as a strange idea that Hobbits killed Orcs in the end.

I remember that it was humans that took it over, but couldn't remember who they showed as the oppressors in the vision. But you are right, I looked back at the dvd and they had Orcs.

Oct 6, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #14 of 18
That movie and Matrix Revolutions are on my "MUST-SEE" list! drool...

Oct 7, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 18
that's promising news about the ending regarding the shire portion. i'm about half way through the return of the king (for the second time, reading the series), and i can't remember if there was any part in the book about the kings sword that looks as if it is given to Aragorn in the trailer? anyone know anything about this? i don't think there was any significance to a sword in the books, but i could be wrong.

also, i have been noticing something that a lot of people have been telling me throughout these last two years of the movie releases. people say that the whole Arwen storyline, how she has a love relationship with Aragorn, was all made up for the movies. while it wasn't mentioned in the books main story, this whole love story did take place and can be read about in the appendix after the end of the thrid book. i'm kind of glad that they included the love story...it's something that happened, and has crucial meaning in explaining why Aragorn acts the way he does. and, fighting for love is always a good thing too.

also, Frodo better not be killed off in the movie. that would ruin the whole trilogy, movie wise
mad.gif
but i seriously doubt they'd change the story THAT much! i think that Gollum will die the same way he dies in the books...part of ground/cliff edge gives way to his demise...but not before he bites off frodos finger.

i'm just as excited about the TTT special edition as i am seeing the return of the king!!! the only thing missing from the fellowship special edition was the Tom Bombaldi/forest scene...other than that the special edition is nearly perfect, for me. so i can't wait to see all the new Ent scenes in TTT!!!
biggrin.gif

me, i'm so glad i was introduced to the books. they gave me an understanding of what a good epic story should be. they also introduced to me, nature and the endless amounts of beauty it contains. and most importantly, it showed me the benefits of having a great imagination and how fun it can be to just escape into a different world full of fantasy and epic story telling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back