The Reference Pentode and Beam Tetrode Thread EL34, KT66, KT77, KT88, EL11, EL12, EL3N, EL35, EL37, 6550, 6L6, EL51, EL39, 4654, 4699, KT63, KT61, 6V6, etc
Feb 25, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #1,441 of 1,528
Where do you put CV2179 in this bunch? I have twelve of these in measured quads with square getters, slightly used i think.
Wait a minute! You were the one who sent me down the CV4062 rabbited pentode hole! Now you want to tempt me with a "sensibly equivalent" alternate?! Nice try.

Got any suggested vendors? :joy:

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #1,443 of 1,528
I went with a pair of labeled and a gaggle of unlabeled. No sonic difference. Unless I listen while staring at the historically prestigious GEC logo. :sweat_smile:

They're very close. Expect any setting used with the N78 will work for the CV4062. While sounding better. YMMV.

However, I wouldn't put 350V into either. These are historically important thermionic artifacts made with great care by skilled artisans over 60 years ago. At least that's what the advert said. :ksc75smile:

Only started with a pair or so. Then some weeks/days later, spotted a ebay seller offering multiple quads in a number of auctions. Starting bid was very low <$8/quad. Thought someone would get a great deal. But no one was bidding. That's not right. So I put in a starting bid on all of the auctions hoping I'd snag at least a quad. Turns out I snagged all the quads! Now I have @bcowen-esque levels of backups! 🤣
Hah! I did the same thing with some vt60. Put in what I considered a low bid on two sets and ended up with another 8 tubes lol. I’m going to be cheap and get the unlabeled ones.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #1,444 of 1,528
I went with a pair of labeled and a gaggle of unlabeled. No sonic difference. Unless I listen while staring at the historically prestigious GEC logo. :sweat_smile:

They're very close. Expect any setting used with the N78 will work for the CV4062. While sounding better. YMMV.

However, I wouldn't put 350V into either. These are historically important thermionic artifacts made with great care by skilled artisans over 60 years ago. At least that's what the advert said. :ksc75smile:

Only started with a pair or so. Then some weeks/days later, spotted a ebay seller offering multiple quads in a number of auctions. Starting bid was very low <$8/quad. Thought someone would get a great deal. But no one was bidding. That's not right. So I put in a starting bid on all of the auctions hoping I'd snag at least a quad. Turns out I snagged all the quads! Now I have @bcowen-esque levels of backups! 🤣
I have it on good authority from people way smarter than me that there’s no such thing as ‘too many backups.’ Therefore I’ve adopted the same philosophy in an attempt to appear smart. :smile:

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #1,445 of 1,528

I know you were mostly kidding but according to the specs 350v is fine as long as the bias current is kept low. Gotta keep total dissipation below the max. They’re cheap enough I won’t be too upset if I blow up a few lol.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #1,446 of 1,528
I haven't seen too many of these tubes with black metal base.

20240301_183911.jpg

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #1,447 of 1,528
I haven't seen too many of these tubes with black metal base.

20240301_183911.jpg
I have these in 6F6GT and 6K6GT, black bases, but as you note relatively rarer in 6V6GT.

Mar 1, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #1,448 of 1,528
I have these in 6F6GT and 6K6GT, black bases, but as you note relatively rarer in 6V6GT.
Nice! I never realized these were black metal bases and not black plastic bases.

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #1,450 of 1,528
Nice! I never realized these were black metal bases and not black plastic bases.
Apologies if I misled, my Visseaux 6F6GT and 6K6GT bases are black as stated, but NOT metal.

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #1,452 of 1,528
The current production Tung Sol 7581a tube sounds amazing as a SE pentode. Back when I got these they were like $25 a pop. I think they’re closer to $50 now but still a good deal I think.

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #1,454 of 1,528
This is the equivalent of 6L6GC but with more power.
Yup. But of course on this site none of us is really taking advantage of that power lol. I’m running them SE and getting maybe 7 watts out. The good news is that they should last approximately forever at that power:) It’s another tube we should thank guitarists for. I bought these years ago before the war kicked off and I’m glad I did.

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #1,455 of 1,528
I have been recently reading about tubes that have been used in communications applications (primarily old under sea lines) and there are fascinating documents regarding the development of pentodes used as repeaters in these systems. I’m not sure if such tubes apply directly to the many discussed in this thread but has anyone tried these tubes in audio applications?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back