The Reference Pentode and Beam Tetrode Thread EL34, KT66, KT77, KT88, EL11, EL12, EL3N, EL35, EL37, 6550, 6L6, EL51, EL39, 4654, 4699, KT63, KT61, 6V6, etc
Oct 19, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #812 of 1,558
Seriously - what is there not to understand? Spend and live happily ever after...
But don't ever sell any tubes. You could need them in next amp or next life.
:relaxed:

Well I did sell off the Wa22 finally, together with Tung Sol 5998 (almost new), Bendix 6080wb, GEC 6080, Mullard 6080. All to part fund Telemachus. So I say goodbye to the 6as7/6080 family. I did retain a pair of Svetlana 6h13s :)

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #814 of 1,558
I’m a sick, sick man. My new Ultrasonic Studios amp hasn’t gotten here yet (soon though!) and I have been planning my next amp already. Basically I want a version of what I have right now, a single ended pentode amp. The Dennis Had Inspire KT88 Firebottle is a remarkable amp. Single ended pentode and by changing rectifier tubes you can use output tubes ranging from 6f6 up to kt88. Power output ranges from 3ish watts up to a whopping 10 or so. I want the same amp but designed around lower power tubes like the kt61, 6aq5, etc. that max out around 250v. To help get around the low power I would want it to be a parallel single ended with two or three(!) tubes per side. Of course I would want switchable, or even better variable, heater voltages. And if I’m greedy I would like to switch between ultra linear and pentode. What the hell, why have a cheap output transformer?:)

The thing is, single ended pentode amplifiers are tricker to design than triode. You need to have regulated screen supplies. And while feedback is optional with triode amps, it is essential with pentode ones. There are many different kinds of feedback; local, global, cathode, Schade, etc. Some of those require careful pairing with the output transformer. Dennis Had (he’s the one that founded Cary amps and is responsible for the popularity of single ended amps in the US IMO) has the formula nailed. Not only do his amps sound amazing, they sound amazing with a variety of tubes. The trouble is I don’t think I can convince him to build to my specs. And even if I could I’m not sure I could afford it lol.

Anyway, yeah, the thought has crossed my mind lol.

Dennis Hart's amps featured here with pictures. 3/4 of the page down on page 2.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...new-production-tube-comparisons.701287/page-2

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #815 of 1,558
Radiotron 807 on my Odyssey sounded glorious. Amazing that a tube that cost 1/10 of my GEC KT88, plays at a similar level of sonic goodness. Different presentation but good in their own ways. I need to buy another pair or 2 of 807. :)

IMG_5172.jpg

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #816 of 1,558
Dennis Hart's amps featured here with pictures. 3/4 of the page down on page 2.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...new-production-tube-comparisons.701287/page-2
I've had my eye on a parallel single ended 6v6 amp he's had in his "toy room" for a little while. 2 tubes per side and uses regulator tubes. I would like that but with just a little lower voltage. Analog Addict also posts in the Inspire forum on Audio aficionado and has shown off the speakers Dennis is selling too. Would love to get down there one of these days, maybe I'll pay @bcowen a visit as long as I'm in his state lol.

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #817 of 1,558
Radiotron 807 on my Odyssey sounded glorious. Amazing that a tube that cost 1/10 of my GEC KT88, plays at a similar level of sonic goodness. Different presentation but good in their own ways. I need to buy another pair or 2 of 807. :)

IMG_5172.jpg
I highly recommend the Cossor/GEC/MOV 807. One of my favorite tubes. RCA was the original maker, you already have some of those right? I also like the Fivre, Mullard, and French Mazda 807. All of them require different input tubes for best results of course.

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #818 of 1,558
I highly recommend the Cossor/GEC/MOV 807. One of my favorite tubes. RCA was the original maker, you already have some of those right? I also like the Fivre, Mullard, and French Mazda 807. All of them require different input tubes for best results of course.

Radiotron is RCA. https://worldradiohistory.com/RCA_Radiotron.htm

I wanted to get a pair of Cossor 807 with white ceramic base when Langrex was selling it but got caught up with buying other tubes.

I have one Sylvania 807. The other tube went up in flames and took out my Elekit 8200 :) With no warning whilst playing the tube went up in purplist red flame. It was a sight to behold.

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #819 of 1,558
Radiotron is RCA. https://worldradiohistory.com/RCA_Radiotron.htm

I wanted to get a pair of Cossor 807 with white ceramic base when Langrex was selling it but got caught up with buying other tubes.

I have one Sylvania 807. The other tube went up in flames and took out my Elekit 8200 :) With no warning whilst playing the tube went up in purplist red flame. It was a sight to behold.
There are places with good stock and better prices than Langrex. I found this place: https://www.vintage-electronics.co.uk/product/cossor-vt60a-807-ceramic-base-valve-tube-nos/

Edit: They have a lot fewer ion stock now. Interestingly they have both vt60a, which is the one I’ve been using, and CV124. Both are nominally 807 tubes but have different plate structures. Dunno what the cv124 sounds like.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #820 of 1,558
Oct 20, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #821 of 1,558
Oct 20, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #822 of 1,558
I've had my eye on a parallel single ended 6v6 amp he's had in his "toy room" for a little while. 2 tubes per side and uses regulator tubes. I would like that but with just a little lower voltage. Analog Addict also posts in the Inspire forum on Audio aficionado and has shown off the speakers Dennis is selling too. Would love to get down there one of these days, maybe I'll pay @bcowen a visit as long as I'm in his state lol.
That would be cool! Just visit soon as it looks like I'll be packing up the household here shortly for yet another move. I thought I was done with that, but no such luck.

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #823 of 1,558
That would be cool! Just visit soon as it looks like I'll be packing up the household here shortly for yet another move. I thought I was done with that, but no such luck.
Still in NC?😳

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #824 of 1,558
I was mostly kidding. I'm in no shape to be taking trips right now. Dealing with some health issues. My stereo has been keeping me sane these past three months.

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #825 of 1,558
Still in NC?😳
No, Atlanta. Found some nice areas that we're considering, but OMG the traffic. I've never lived anywhere before where it can take 2 hours to go 15 miles. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back