The Reference Pentode and Beam Tetrode Thread EL34, KT66, KT77, KT88, EL11, EL12, EL3N, EL35, EL37, 6550, 6L6, EL51, EL39, 4654, 4699, KT63, KT61, 6V6, etc
Mar 17, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #271 of 1,558
Mar 17, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #272 of 1,558
Tube sellers are telling me they've never seen anything like it, so if WE could make more tubes that would be great. Brent Jessee told me he's basically been cleaned out of EL34.

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #274 of 1,558
Guys can you please go to https://www.westernelectric.com/expand and fill out their survey, stating that you have interest in Western Electric KT88 tubes in the future.

Especially with the current russia Situation we need every western KT88 we can get and Western Electric has the Reputation to maybe give US the best there is!
Done!

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #276 of 1,558
Tube sellers are telling me they've never seen anything like it, so if WE could make more tubes that would be great. Brent Jessee told me he's basically been cleaned out of EL34.
What's the reason behind this? The current situation with russian and chinese products and the fact that the guitar amp users bought some spare parts?
I doubt the "enthusiast" Hi-Fi crew is using so much EL34...

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #277 of 1,558
Russia has banned their domestic tube manufacturers from exporting to most western countries, so what's currently on-hand at sellers is the only stock that will be available for the foreseeable future. Naturally the moment word got out there was a massive buying spree to hoard spares in case this situation continues for a long time, so now everybody is out of stock on everything.

This shouldn't really be affecting the Chinese tube brands because they are still operating normally, but when the New Sensor product ran dry I'm sure the buying spree simply moved over to NOS and Chinese tube stocks and continued.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #278 of 1,558
Russia has banned their domestic tube manufacturers from exporting to most western countries, so what's currently on-hand at sellers is the only stock that will be available for the foreseeable future. Naturally the moment word got out there was a massive buying spree to hoard spares in case this situation continues for a long time, so now everybody is out of stock on everything.

This shouldn't really be affecting the Chinese tube brands because they are still operating normally, but when the New Sensor product ran dry I'm sure the buying spree simply moved over to NOS and Chinese tube stocks and continued.
I also find it interesting that new listings on Ebay have slowed dramatically. I have probably a dozen alerts set up resulting in around 6 emails a day (sometimes twice that), and in the last week those have gone totally silent. Some of those alerts were for Russian-made (and Russian seller) tubes like Foton and Melz, but more than half aren't.

This is like toilet paper two years ago. Scarcity induces panic buying, and the panic buying further feeds the scarcity. I'm looking at it as a great excuse to not buy any tubes right now. :laughing:

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #280 of 1,558
Well, I have now an excuse for my boxes full of EL34 and 807. I can say "I foresaw this". LOL
Look, like most of us that have been involved with tubes for a while, I have many more tubes than what I could possibly use up. Maybe a time for re-discovering tubes sitting in storage...
As I see it, the biggest problem is for manufacturers that rely on new production Russian tubes, but I am sure that they will find other sources such as Chinese tubes.
Does anybody have experience with a new Chines manufacturer Linlai? From what i read people like their tubes, but personally I don't like when the same tube designation sells at several different price points.
Other Chinese manufacturers have even more different variants with fancier print and boxes to match.

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #281 of 1,558
Thanks guys!
Look, like most of us that have been involved with tubes for a while, I have many more tubes than what I could possibly use up. Maybe a time for re-discovering tubes sitting in storage...
As I see it, the biggest problem is for manufacturers that rely on new production Russian tubes, but I am sure that they will find other sources such as Chinese tubes.
Does anybody have experience with a new Chines manufacturer Linlai? From what i read people like their tubes, but personally I don't like when the same tube designation sells at several different price points.
Other Chinese manufacturers have even more different variants with fancier print and boxes to match.
From my knowledge Linlai produces the best tubes out of all Chinese manufacturers.
They have different series for casual or more audiophile clients

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #283 of 1,558
I also find it interesting that new listings on Ebay have slowed dramatically. I have probably a dozen alerts set up resulting in around 6 emails a day (sometimes twice that), and in the last week those have gone totally silent. Some of those alerts were for Russian-made (and Russian seller) tubes like Foton and Melz, but more than half aren't.

This is like toilet paper two years ago. Scarcity induces panic buying, and the panic buying further feeds the scarcity. I'm looking at it as a great excuse to not buy any tubes right now. :laughing:
Relatively easy to grow trees and produce more toilet paper :) My tube buying has already slowed down drastically, but I agree with you that now is not a great time to buy.

Mar 18, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #285 of 1,558
It's much better to buy tubes three years ago. That will be my strategy. But I won't tell anyone. I need no competition if I want to be successful.

Seriously - how many people on a forum like this need more tubes?
What does need have to do with anything? 😛😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back