The Reference Pentode and Beam Tetrode Thread EL34, KT66, KT77, KT88, EL11, EL12, EL3N, EL35, EL37, 6550, 6L6, EL51, EL39, 4654, 4699, KT63, KT61, 6V6, etc
Jan 3, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #241 of 1,558
My most "exotic" tube, and my only Mullard, the El38. I think it is one of the more beautiful tubes out there. When I pop it into my amp that has cathode bias set for a 6l6c it is open and super detailed. I'm hoping to have an amp one day where I can dial it in properly and see what it can do.
IMG_0293.jpeg

Once I heard what these can do I uh... went a bit crazy and bought a bunch while I could. These have been super cheap for a long time but supplies seem to be drying up. They were never common here in the US so I bought up the supply of this particular version that Langrex had.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #242 of 1,558
My most "exotic" tube, and my only Mullard, the El38. I think it is one of the more beautiful tubes out there. When I pop it into my amp that has cathode bias set for a 6l6c it is open and super detailed. I'm hoping to have an amp one day where I can dial it in properly and see what it can do.

Once I heard what these can do I uh... went a bit crazy and bought a bunch while I could. These have been super cheap for a long time but supplies seem to be drying up. They were never common here in the US so I bought up the supply of this particular version that Langrex had.
Great tube. Work well in my gear with an EL38 to EL34/6L6 adapter.

Did you know GEC also made a version? The E3375. Construction looks exactly the same as the famous KT77, but has a top cap. Same adapter for EL38 can be used.
https://6streetbridge.blogspot.com/2008/11/tube-detective-gec-e3375.html

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #243 of 1,558
Great tube. Work well in my gear with an EL38 to EL34/6L6 adapter.

Did you know GEC also made a version? The E3375. Construction looks exactly the same as the famous KT77, but has a top cap. Same adapter for EL38 can be used.
https://6streetbridge.blogspot.com/2008/11/tube-detective-gec-e3375.html
I have heard about those, and seen them pop up occasionally. Maybe I'll pop for a pair to see what the fuss is about. I'll leave the real deal kt77 to bidding wars lol.

Jan 4, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #244 of 1,558
Annnnnnd I just bought 4 of them, lol. This place is dangerous! Still, it's not like they're still making them right? I guess I'll see what the fuss is about now lol.

Jan 4, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #245 of 1,558
IMG_0293.jpeg

Very nice. Never meet a Mullard that I did not like.

Sounds like you can listen to them for a good long time with a stash :)

Jan 4, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #246 of 1,558
Annnnnnd I just bought 4 of them, lol. This place is dangerous! Still, it's not like they're still making them right? I guess I'll see what the fuss is about now lol.

Yeah man, this place can have your wallet gasping for air in no time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #247 of 1,558
Found a match for the KT63 tube on the right. They even have the same matching date codes. The one on the left was untested, but I took a risk and won the eBay auction for 99p. Wouldn’t ship to Canada… so had to ship it to the UK and then Canada. Shipping was 20x more than the tube.
A8136151-DB0A-46B7-BC9A-A4F9D242EE36.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #248 of 1,558
Wow! Congrats. Those are some killer looking KT63's, and also having matching date codes and the way you went about buying them just proves,
where there is a will there is a way :grinning:

I bet those are sounding pretty dang good in that amp!

I just love the KT63 tubes in my amp.

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #249 of 1,558
Been playing around with some US tubes today in my preamp and DAC. I’m impressed. The RCA and Sylvania seem to share traits with other tubes from the same manufacturers. RCA slightly warmer. Sylvania slight sparkle. Great together (ie one set in preamp other in DAC)
Sylvania 6L6GC top halo getter, STR387
RCA 6L6GC black plate double D bottom getter
Ken Rad 6L6 black metal

Will try in the headphone amp later.

264292B7-BD51-44C2-8E73-2D7F68B7FA20.jpeg
0CE67C04-7DA1-48B3-ABFE-D1AA9BC6F66B.jpeg
22B3CF87-D6E0-4602-9809-B4935C19363E.jpeg

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #250 of 1,558
I need the head-fi hive mind knowledge.
Recently I found a few "premium" manufacturers of current production tubes.
I'd like to know about your experience with them and if there are some trusted dealers to source them Internationally (preferably from europe)

I start with those that I know:
TAD KT88-STR Blackplates - those are new production tubes from a british classic design. Quite affordable and can be bought from tubeampdoctor.com (my most trusted source of tubes)
They also have a few 6550, EL34 and KT88 models but the STR Blackplates are those I read the most positive reviews of.

Sophia Electric KT88 and EL34 - can be sourced directly from https://sophiaelectric.com/collections/kt88-and-el34-tubes/products/pages-se-kt88
Does anyone know a trusted source in europe?

Northern electric KT88 - https://vinylsound.ca/products/northern-electric-kt88-graphite
Does anyone know a european source or manufacturer Homepage?

E.A.T KT88 Diamond - said to sound sublime but basically out of stock for over a year now and also doubled the price in the past 12 months to an insane 940€ per matched pair.

KR Audio KT88 and KT150 (the only KT150 besides the original Tung Sol that I know of)
Very outstanding reviews and can be sourced from tubeampdoctor.com

Other "premium" manufacturers that I know that don't offer pentodes (yet)

Linlai - can now be sourced from btb-elektronik.de in europe or from linlai global directly. They announced that they are working on KT88 and plan to follow up with KT150

EML - no pentodes and horrible warranty Service. However the tubes themselfes sound amazing.

Please share your experiences, trusted sourced or other manufacturers of that Kind.

I didn't hear any of them yet but plan to get some KR Audio or TAD tubes soon'ish
I tried to buy some E.A.T KT88 over a year ago, but they've been out of stock and doubled their price since then.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #251 of 1,558
I'd like to know about your experience with them and if there are some trusted dealers to source them Internationally (preferably from europe)

TAD KT88-STR Blackplates - those are new production tubes from a british classic design. Quite affordable and can be bought from tubeampdoctor.com (my most trusted source of tubes)
They also have a few 6550, EL34 and KT88 models but the STR Blackplates are those I read the most positive reviews of.

Sophia Electric KT88 and EL34 - can be sourced directly from https://sophiaelectric.com/collections/kt88-and-el34-tubes/products/pages-se-kt88

Northern electric KT88 - https://vinylsound.ca/products/northern-electric-kt88-graphite

E.A.T KT88 Diamond - said to sound sublime but basically out of stock for over a year now and also doubled the price in the past 12 months to an insane 940€ per matched pair.

KR Audio KT88 and KT150 (the only KT150 besides the original Tung Sol that I know of)

Linlai - can now be sourced from btb-elektronik.de in europe or from linlai global directly. They announced that they are working on KT88 and plan to follow up with KT150

EML - no pentodes and horrible warranty Service. However the tubes themselfes sound amazing.

Please share your experiences, trusted sourced or other manufacturers of that Kind.

I didn't hear any of them yet but plan to get some KR Audio or TAD tubes soon'ish
I tried to buy some E.A.T KT88 over a year ago, but they've been out of stock and doubled their price since then.
I see that you like cats - here is an amp for you:
1641928146454.png

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #252 of 1,558
I see that you like cats - here is an amp for you:
1641928146454.png
Nice, curious what the wife will say.
Usually she hates how tube amps look, this might be the exception

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #254 of 1,558

I can't speak to the pentodes, but I have a couple pairs of KR 300BXLS's (high current 300B). Love them. The first pair has been in my amp for close to 20 years and probably pushing 10k hours. I bought the 2nd pair only for backup, but haven't needed to use them yet. I pop them in every few months just to see if I can detect any decline in the older ones, and so far nothing audible. Very thick glass and built like the proverbial tank. I have few options for rolling the output tubes in this amp -- a high current 300B is required and (to my knowledge) only KR and EML make them. I had a pair of EML's for a bit and liked them, but much preferred the KR's so I sold them off (and got the backup pair of KR's). Seriously not cheap tubes at ~$1k/pair, but if I amortize that over 20 years it's not that bad. :sweat_smile:

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #255 of 1,558
I have heard in a few places that the KR tubes have harder vacuum and can last a very long time. I'm hoping that's true because when I get past my current living situation challenge I was planning to buy a pair of KR KT150 as a little pat on the back gift to myself. Given how much more expensive they are than the Tung-Sol they are based on I'm hoping they are worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back