The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #9,858 of 9,995
That would be tedious. And why my thermionic chessboard would employ CCS (Constant Chess Service). :sweat_smile:
And my ideal audio setup would provide Constant Cheese Service🤔😉

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #9,859 of 9,995
That would be tedious. And why my thermionic chessboard would employ CCS (Clock Cancellation Service). :sweat_smile:
FTFY...[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #9,860 of 9,995
Thanks - I have a whole box of dead tubes; cannot get myself to throw them away...

I see from the internet that there are uses for such tubes:

1709749541994.png
.... what happens if pawns are nonals .... if rooks, knights, bishops, queen, king are octals? .... 😳

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #9,862 of 9,995
If you want to make the chess game more challenging, you could use side contact sockets.
Or if you're looking for time-saving stalemates then... solder all the flying leads! 🤣

cv4069.jpg

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #9,864 of 9,995
Can anyone explain how to identify specifically a *1943* Sylvania VT-231? There seems to be no date codes whatsoever. :frowning2:
There might be a date code (letter/number) under the the octagonal sign on the side of the glass. Possible it could be on the base of the tube as well. I’m not familiar with their dating scheme though- sorry!

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #9,867 of 9,995
If I'm in the market for some Brimar CV1988 6sn7s, how do I distinguish what's good quality or a waste of money?
Prices here in the UK range from £300 for a single to £1000 for a pair.

Am I paying for military markings that technically makes them 'rare', or am I paying for better performance/higher quality of tube?

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #9,868 of 9,995
If I'm in the market for some Brimar CV1988 6sn7s, how do I distinguish what's good quality or a waste of money?

Am I paying for military markings that technically makes them 'rare', or am I paying for better performance/higher quality of tube?
Whoa...those are crazy prices. Cant comment on the difference between military or non- military marking but have you heard them before? I have always suggested people to hear tubes like Brimar before jumping into it. In general, Brimar tubes tend to be more muddy in the mid, though it has amazing soundstage, compared to other British tubes like Mullard or Marconi and people dont quite like it. IMO, if I must spend that kind of money, I will take ECC32 over that anytime if your amp can handle the higher heater current. BTW, I have a pair of that black glass selling at Langrex.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #9,869 of 9,995

Well... there's some controversy about to begin... so I'll start it! 🤣

I have many Brimar CV1988s... I enjoy them very much. But not for a thousand pounds a pair! Got mine back when they were a highly regarded $50 tube.

Now some will claim the fancy dark glass editions are better. IME, not really. Actually prefer my clear glass CV1988s from the 50s more than the dark glass of later decades.

My suggestion is to start with the far cheaper clear glass Brimars, like these from:
https://audiovalves.co.uk/#!/produc...988-grey-plate-valve-nos-boxed--0x28-w8-0x29-

£200 each... still not cheap... and as suggested above there's the Mullard ECC32s for the spendy spendy money.

Could also consider a pair of Brimar/GEC L63/6J5s. Less money and more open soundstage... but that's not 6SN7 cricket.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #9,870 of 9,995
Whoa...those are crazy prices. Cant comment on the difference between military or non- military marking but have you heard them before? I have always suggested people to hear tubes like Brimar before jumping into it. In general, Brimar tubes tend to be more muddy in the mid, though it has amazing soundstage, compared to other British tubes like Mullard or Marconi and people dont quite like it. IMO, if I must spend that kind of money, I will take ECC32 over that anytime if your amp can handle the higher heater current.
I'm trusting users on the Feliks Envy thread (I have one incoming) who have paired Brimar CV1988s with the same power tubes I've bought (WE 300b). Consensus is that it's a great sounding pairing, so I'm trying to ascertain differences between the models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back