The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Feb 26, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #9,796 of 10,006
Possibly.. whatever makes it confusing... I mean clear enough for anyone to understand that they will need to go learn the ways of the Windtalkers .. you know, its all part of the excitement and the hunt!
Don't forget limited edition base colors!

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #9,797 of 10,006
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #9,798 of 10,006
Actually, I am following the guide below to build 'Mordys' Vacuum tubes but with my EIA number - you know, so folks don't get confused.

For the dating system I am still debating between Microsoft Wingdings font, or Ancient Sumerian.

https://hackaday.com/2016/05/04/home-brew-vacuum-tubes-are-easier-than-you-think/
Wingdings 1 or 2 would be my vote. Definitely would increase the value of the tubes by 10x.

1709010377864.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #9,801 of 10,006
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #9,803 of 10,006
I have
Ever have one of those night when your system just doesn’t sound good? That happened to me last night so I decided to switch the input tube in my amp. Had been using the Tung Sol BGRP 12sn7. Decided to try one of my grey glass 14n7 instead. Hmm… something’s not right. Everything sounds slightly overdriven, the sound gets distorted at the peaks regardless of the volume. Let’s try another tube. Grabbed another grey glass 14n7 (I have more than a few) and had the same trouble. Not the tube then. I gave up for the night.

Today I put in one of my Marconi b36 tubes and everythings sounds good again. I have not had any luck with these grey glass 14n7 tubes whenever I‘ve tried them. From what I can see they have the same construction as the regular 14n7, copper support rod and all. I have a dim recollection of someone distinguishing between two different versions of the grey glass 14n7 with one sounding really good. I think the bottle shape is different? Here’s the two tubes, anyone able to tell me anything about them?

IMG_0707.jpeg
IMG_0706.jpeg

The other one I tried is shorter and the grey comes down far enough I can’t see what’s inside but these both sounded the same.

IMG_0708.jpeg

Each has a twin and I’ve got more but haven’t looked too hard at them. These are going to get tossed. I might open them up for science just to see what’s inside these grey glass tubes. Common wisdom has it that the *n7 tubes should be the same as the Sylvania *sn7 tubes but Sylvania never made a grey glass version as far as I know. Just as well considering how bad these sound…

Edit: After some more messing around it looks like something is up with my preamp. Switched to my backup and things are fine. Grr… This Supratek is proving to be like a thoroughbred or an F1 car. Amazing when it’s working but I’ve had some problems with it. I’ve already changed all the tubes and still have that over driven sound. I’ll revisit these grey glass tubes in a day or 2. Going to listen to music tonight and leave troubleshooting for another day.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #9,804 of 10,006

P.S. If you were to buy from AliExpress, I would suggest seller, GD-PARTS (Authorized PSVANE Reseller). I have no affiliations with them but have bought over 50 items including PSVANE tubes with great satisfaction. Good luck.
Good to know. Fwiw, GD-Parts is also on eBay. I just ordered a pair of Psvane 6SN7 UK Vacuum Tubes to try on my newly acquired Schiit Lyr+.

I only saw this thread today and am reading from page 1. A valuable resource in this in(s)ane hobby!

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #9,805 of 10,006
I have
Ever have one of those night when your system just doesn’t sound good? That happened to me last night so I decided to switch the input tube in my amp. Had been using the Tung Sol BGRP 12sn7. Decided to try one of my grey glass 14n7 instead. Hmm… something’s not right. Everything sounds slightly overdriven, the sound gets distorted at the peaks regardless of the volume. Let’s try another tube. Grabbed another grey glass 14n7 (I have more than a few) and had the same trouble. Not the tube then. I gave up for the night.

Today I put in one of my Marconi b36 tubes and everythings sounds good again. I have not had any luck with these grey glass 14n7 tubes whenever I‘ve tried them. From what I can see they have the same construction as the regular 14n7, copper support rod and all. I have a dim recollection of someone distinguishing between two different versions of the grey glass 14n7 with one sounding really good. I think the bottle shape is different? Here’s the two tubes, anyone able to tell me anything about them?

IMG_0707.jpegIMG_0706.jpeg

The other one I tried is shorter and the grey comes down far enough I can’t see what’s inside but these both sounded the same.

IMG_0708.jpeg

Each has a twin and I’ve got more but haven’t looked too hard at them. These are going to get tossed. I might open them up for science just to see what’s inside these grey glass tubes. Common wisdom has it that the *n7 tubes should be the same as the Sylvania *sn7 tubes but Sylvania never made a grey glass version as far as I know. Just as well considering how bad these sound…

Edit: After some more messing around it looks like something is up with my preamp. Switched to my backup and things are fine. Grr… This Supratek is proving to be like a thoroughbred or an F1 car. Amazing when it’s working but I’ve had some problems with it. I’ve already changed all the tubes and still have that over driven sound. I’ll revisit these grey glass tubes in a day or 2. Going to listen to music tonight and leave troubleshooting for another day.
You couldn't possibly mean this lovely tube, right?? How dare you talk down to my favorite of the 7N7/14N7 family tree!! :joy: :joy:

1709243126850.png

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #9,806 of 10,006
You couldn't possibly mean this lovely tube, right?? How dare you talk down to my favorite of the 7N7/14N7 family tree!! :joy: :joy:

1709243126850.png
Photogenic Mc-Mini!😃

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #9,807 of 10,006

1709243126850.png
Is that a 7n7? If so, does it have round plates?

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #9,808 of 10,006
Is that a 7n7? If so, does it have round plates?
Its the 14N7 version but from what I can tell, the internals (T plates and support rod) appear to be the same as 6SN7W, taller 14N7s, and even the shorter 14N7 that just has the chrome top without being blacked out.

The only difference I can tell between the examples below and the blacked out 14N7 is that black carbonized coating on the inside, and glass bottle height.

1709251625207.png

1709251666710.png

I do have a JAN-CHS-7N7 black carbonized version - I could dig that out to see if those plates are different

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #9,809 of 10,006
Its the 14N7 version but from what I can tell, the internals (T plates and support rod) appear to be the same as 6SN7W, taller 14N7s, and even the shorter 14N7 that just has the chrome top without being blacked out.

The only difference I can tell between the examples below and the blacked out 14N7 is that black carbonized coating on the inside, and glass bottle height.

1709251625207.png

1709251666710.png

I do have a JAN-CHS-7N7 black carbonized version - I could dig that out to see if those plates are different
I don't have any 14N7's, but all my 7N7's have T-plates. Different colors, but all the same shape. The 7F7's I have all have round plates, as do most all of their octal brethren 6SL7's that I have (I think there might be a couple of those with T-plates, but I'd have to look and they're all packed up for moving right now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back