The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Feb 8, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #9,736 of 10,028
The question is- are there any real differences between these tubes except for the packaging and prices?
Are the internals the same?
I have a few of the variants above and to my ears they sound different. Not huge differences perhaps, but noticeable. I particularly like the 'tennis ball' and the CV-181 versions.

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #9,737 of 10,028
The question is- are there any real differences between these tubes except for the packaging and prices?
Are the internals the same?
We are waiting for you to tell us... :sweat_smile: :laughing:
My guess is that one or two models are developed and produced mainly for the OEM sector at certain price point, retail is never their priority.

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #9,738 of 10,028
I have switched to my back up preamp, the Schitt Freya+. One of the reasons I got another preamp is because it is so difficult to do tube rolling. Plus, it uses 4 6sn7 at a time. I usually use it in the passive mode since my regular preamp, the Supratek Cabernet is noticeably better. Last night I fired up the tube mode and am pleasantly surprised. It has the Russian made Tung Sol branded 6sn7 in it. Compared to my usual, this is a bit harder sounding with a noticeable glare in the low treble. On the other hand, it is giving me a well rounded sound and a decent sense of space and depth. It's my understanding the the rightmost tubes are the gain tubes and the left pair are followers. I might try rolling some of my Sylvania 6sn7 tomorrow to see how they differ from the Tung Sols

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #9,739 of 10,028
Speaking of using four 6SN7’s at a time- here’s a pic of my Lampizator TRP3 loaded up with a quad of 1955 Raytheon 6SN7GTB’s. Sounding really awesome in the dac that was supposed to be meant for pentodes!

IMG_0780.jpeg

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #9,740 of 10,028
I think you have seen those Apos Ray "special" tubes in your very own tube collection :wink:.
As can be seen by the Apos tubes build (6SN7 and 12AU7) they seem to have the exact same internals as the other Psvane tubes from Psvane factory.
They are just sold at a premium price with a premium label on them. I'd expect a very similar soundsignature to the Psvane.
delete

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #9,741 of 10,028
Using a PSVane 6SN7GT at the moment in my DIY TDA1541 build. Pretty pleased with its sound. It is quiet and generally well behaved.

Works constantly, on 24/7 basis. Wonder how long it will last.

It replaced a Soviet made 6N8S (with the black base). Sound-wise i'd say it's a tad smoother than the Soviet ones, which were crisp and detailed. Think i prefer the PSVane slightly.

I also have a 6SN7 made by Linlai*, but haven't tested it yet. It is larger in size, coke bottle style and i'd need to modify the enclosure for it to fit properly. It is in the works so when i try it, i'll report back.

*apparently, Linlai is a smaller company that was established by people with previous expereience from PSVane. Which in turn, was also established by people that were ex-workers of Shuguang.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #9,742 of 10,028
For the same money of those Chinese new production tubes you can get pristine pairs of NOS tubes.

Here some examples of my latest aquirements. Especially the rare Australian AWVs sound amazing. Very happy to finally have a pair of the 50s with staggered plates. These might be more warm sounding than it's predecessor vt-231 variant with round plates.
PXL_20240209_073725752.MP~2.jpg

Sicte was the competitor of Marconi/Fivre in Italy. These have a very unique mica construction. Not the same resolution and staging like the Radiotrons but similar to American GTB tubes.
PXL_20240208_080106910.MP~2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #9,743 of 10,028
@Isaacc7
I have switched to my back up preamp, the Schitt Freya+. One of the reasons I got another preamp is because it is so difficult to do tube rolling. Plus, it uses 4 6sn7 at a time.

It's my understanding the the rightmost tubes are the gain tubes and the left pair are followers. I might try rolling some of my Sylvania 6sn7 tomorrow to see how they differ from the Tung Sols
With the gain tubes on the right and followers on the left are you splitting these R2L with different brands or other compatible tubes?

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #9,744 of 10,028
@Isaacc7

With the gain tubes on the right and followers on the left are you splitting these R2L with different brands or other compatible tubes?
Haven't done it yet but will probably leave the followers as is and just change the actual gain tubes.

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #9,745 of 10,028
For the same money of those Chinese new production tubes you can get pristine pairs of NOS tubes.

Here some examples of my latest aquirements. Especially the rare Australian AWVs sound amazing. Very happy to finally have a pair of the 50s with staggered plates. These might be more warm sounding than it's predecessor vt-231 variant with round plates.
PXL_20240209_073725752.MP~2.jpg

Sicte was the competitor of Marconi/Fivre in Italy. These have a very unique mica construction. Not the same resolution and staging like the Radiotrons but similar to American GTB tubes.
PXL_20240208_080106910.MP~2.jpg
I agree with you, those older AWV 6SN7’s are fantastic. Some of the quietest tubes I own in the 6SN7 family.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #9,746 of 10,028
My latest acquirements of the unwonted variety. Top row are a pair of rebased 7N7 loctals. These are internally equivalent to Sylvania 6SN7GTW "tall boys" fitted into new octal bases.

The bottom row are a pair of 6SN7GTB Hit-Rays (Hitachi-Raytheon).

It's gotten to be more fun finding obscure great sounding tubes rather than lusting after conventional greatness priced as such.

The tube is dead. Long live the tube!

Attachments

• tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #9,747 of 10,028
I have had to use my backup system due to the main preamp and amp spending some time at the tech. I'm back to using the Schitt Freya+ and Dennis Had Firebottle KT88. It sounds good, really good. Any sensible person would have just kept that system and not bought things 3x the price to get appreciably better. Never said I was smart lol.

Because the 6sn7 sockets are so recessed I've never done any tube rolling with it. I hat pulling tubes by the glass but the Freya+ forces you to. I could have gotten socket savers but I really just didn't want to deal with them. So I'm using the current production Tung Sol 6sn7 that it came with. Not a bad sound really. I have found it to have a bit of glare and lacking the rich timbres I'm used to with the Supratek.

But this has allowed me to finally take advantage of a highly lauded tube that I have not had much success with, the Tung Sol BGRP 12sn7. In comparison with other tubes in my system these have always come in 3d or 4th mixed in with a bunch of other also-rans. Not enough detail, thick, a bit veiled, dryer timbres, etc. Well, as the driver in the amp it seems to be a good antidote to the bad things that stick out to me from the preamp. Mind you, it is covering those things instead of fixing them but the system is more enjoyable now.

I will put the Supratek back in tomorrow probably. I anticipate more drive, bigger sound stage, more clarity, and better more accurate timbre. Probably go with my standard 14n7 tall bottles in the preamp and the Miniwatt branded b36 input tube in the amp.

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #9,748 of 10,028
Happy to report the future looks promising, as I just got a New Production 6SN7, that sounds as good or better than any NOS 6SN7 I have heard.

Say hello to the Apos Ray Reserve 6SN7.

1000004597.jpg

1000004610.jpg

I will share more once I have had more time with them, but for now I can tell you they are legit and have actually been blowing my mind.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #9,749 of 10,028
Happy to report the future looks promising, as I just got a New Production 6SN7, that sounds as good or better than any NOS 6SN7 I have heard.

Say hello to the Apos Ray Reserve 6SN7.

1000004597.jpg
1000004610.jpg

I will share more once I have had more time with them, but for now I can tell you they are legit and have actually been blowing my mind.
New review on this tube here (Passion for Sound). I am a little gutted to have watched it tho. The Lyr+ was mentioned as a kind of minimum standard for spending this amount on a tube vs amp quality and price. Although it wasn't used in Lyr+, the opinion was that this tube will really sing in it (and others more so up the scale).

Balls. I just happen to own the Lyr+. Looks like the wallet is coming out again.

(yes, it only takes a few good words from anyone that leaves me thinking... I need that tube in my life. haha!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back