The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #9,511 of 10,116
That was a commendable and meaningful event that you organized, although there can be nothing definitive about an effort to evaluate and rate various 6sn7s absolutely - too many interactions with the nature of the headphone (800s has treble issues, somewhat unnatural staging and frequency response), output impedance of the amp, tubes used with the amp, the big issue of the DAC itself etc. So the best tube would certainly fit together with all these different interactions but not necessarily be the best tube in another system. It’s certainly been work finding the right tubes for my set up. But I would love to see that list because I’m sure it does have validity in many respects in determining the best of the best. I’ve been surprised by the 6sn7s I’ve preferred vs not enjoyed at times (true 70s Melz 1578s) and I think it is predominantly synergy with my system (Envy + ER300Bs, WE300Bs + Susvara / Utopia, and my own preferences). In my system the 70s Melz doesn’t blend well with the strengths of the ER300Bs or WE300Bs as many other tubes, with my headphones, dac, my library etc. Your knowledge as a senior member of this forum and member of the trade is always appreciated.
My amp design was chosen as a definitive test compared to 10 others that were considered and over 50 people voted.🤪 It was certainly not the opinion of one person and one amp type. There were reasons why the engineers involved chose those headphones but I was less involved in that process. 10’s of thousands of dollars were spent on tubes, the price today could be double IF you could even locate the tubes in NOS condition. 🤪

Oh and I have the luxury of using the same amp design when I listen at home with various headphones and power tubes. I also get to hear most tube amps around as well as some of the top DACS and transports. My headphone of personal choice is the Utopia and we used four in our last DAC comparison.

If you come up with anything nearly as definitive get back to me. Lol. As far as music library, music was recorded for us by one of the top audio engineers in the country, 25 separate pieces recorded to show off the criteria we chose to use.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #9,512 of 10,116
I think my point remains that while the event would certainly narrow down the best, it would not necessarily be able to determine which tube would be best for you, out of those best.

I want to start by expressing my genuine admiration for your contributions and dedication to this forum. Your insights and expertise have undoubtedly enriched our community, and your commitment to upholding the values and standards here is highly commendable.

However, it's important to remember that one of the strengths of this forum lies in its diversity of perspectives and the open exchange of ideas. While your opinions and knowledge are undoubtedly valuable, it's essential to maintain a balance between being a respected contributor and a gatekeeper who may inadvertently stifle discussion.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #9,513 of 10,116
My amp design was chosen as a definitive test compared to 10 others that were considered and over 50 people voted.🤪 It was certainly not the opinion of one person and one amp type. There were reasons why the engineers involved chose those headphones but I was less involved in that process. 10’s of thousands of dollars were spent on tubes, the price today could be double IF you could even locate the tubes in NOS condition. 🤪

Oh and I have the luxury of using the same amp design when I listen at home with various headphones and power tubes. I also get to hear most tube amps around as well as some of the top DACS and transports. My headphone of personal choice is the Utopia and we used four in our last DAC comparison.

If you come up with anything nearly as definitive get back to me. Lol. As far as music library, music was recorded for us by one of the top audio engineers in the country, 25 separate pieces recorded to show off the criteria we chose to use.
Are the results of any of your comparison / testing available to read? If so I’d be grateful for a point in the right direction. Thanks.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #9,514 of 10,116
I think my point remains that while the event would certainly narrow down the best, it would not necessarily be able to determine which tube would be best for you, out of those best.

I want to start by expressing my genuine admiration for your contributions and dedication to this forum. Your insights and expertise have undoubtedly enriched our community, and your commitment to upholding the values and standards here is highly commendable.

However, it's important to remember that one of the strengths of this forum lies in its diversity of perspectives and the open exchange of ideas. While your opinions and knowledge are undoubtedly valuable, it's essential to maintain a balance between being a respected contributor and a gatekeeper who may inadvertently stifle discussion.
Gosh a 100+ head-fier speaking for the thread. Read back, I merely said the 70’s and 80’s Melz are less desirable compared to the early ones. Most anyone on here who has heard a variety of Melz would most likely concur. Don’t take my word for it. As far as true 1578’s, that is more of an American term and that number was stamped on many Melz by current sellers. If someone likes a specific tube I have never said I know better lol, you like what you like. As far as our blind testing we could have really skewed the outcome if we allowed all the Melz variations to be used. If a tube construction was radically different then we might use 5 Sylvania or 6 Tung Sol etc. I do believe in the accuracy of large numbers, I prefer to take results from a large sampling of tube types and people listening to said tubes.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #9,515 of 10,116
Are the results of any of your comparison / testing available to read? If so I’d be grateful for a point in the right direction. Thanks.
My group changes leadership every few years and I no longer run it. The current person in charge was striving to have the info published along with other comparisons we ran but Covid struck and hampered those plans. The short answer is, the info is not mine to give out. I have also been asked for the music we used and that will never happen because of the artists we used.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #9,516 of 10,116
My group changes leadership every few years and I no longer run it. The current person in charge was striving to have the info published along with other comparisons we ran but Covid struck and hampered those plans. The short answer is, the info is not mine to give out. I have also been asked for the music we used and that will never happen because of the artists we used.
Why would you go through such effort, spend the amount of money (forget about the time it must have took) you guys did only to keep things secret? lol

If you aren't going to share the info, then I think the point is moot when you speak about which tubes were the best and which were not.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #9,517 of 10,116
Why would you go through such effort, spend the amount of money (forget about the time it must have took) you guys did only to keep things secret? lol

If you aren't going to share the info, then I think the point is moot when you speak about which tubes were the best and which were not.
I said plans were made to publish, I am not in charge of that. For a while we could not meet, the engineering lab we used was off limits, I can only control what I can control. It is easy enough to put me on ignore if you think my opinions moot. My amps were designed to show off 6sn7 sound and there are those who feel I succeeded. I will end my portion of this discussion.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #9,518 of 10,116
Why would you go through such effort, spend the amount of money (forget about the time it must have took) you guys did only to keep things secret?***
“that’s for us to know and for you to find out” 🤣 …. ==> clandestine mass acquisition of best tubes 🤣

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #9,519 of 10,116
I just received an RCA VT231 / 6SN7GT Grey / Smoked Glass tube and I would appreciate any information you can provide about this tube. It is labeled RCA Radiotron, Made in the USA with a Y5 code. Do you know when the RCA Radiotron logo was used on the 6SN7GT tube and what the date of manufacture is based on the Y5 code?. Looking online (fairly exhaustively), I can’t find any examples of this exact tube with the RCA Radiotron logo.
I can confirm the following, which are characteristic of the RCA VT231 / RCA 6SN7GT version #1 tube:

Base: black with silver labels
Glass: grey extending right from base to near the top, usually opaque
Top mica: round
Other significant features: 2 stabilising rectangular mica ‘ears’ on either side of round top mica. Mica ears often ‘scratch’ out trails in the grey glass.
Not labeled ‘VT-231’ but having ‘RCA’ in a circular logo (with a lightning bolt) labeled in silver print on the base.

Note - I would post pictures, but I can't figure out how to do so. I tried posting the pictures to Pinterest, then using the links here, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
The pictures are at the following Pinterest page:
https://pin.it/2fuV3VG

Thank you!

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #9,520 of 10,116
I just received an RCA VT231 / 6SN7GT Grey / Smoked Glass tube and I would appreciate any information you can provide about this tube. It is labeled RCA Radiotron, Made in the USA with a Y5 code. Do you know when the RCA Radiotron logo was used on the 6SN7GT tube and what the date of manufacture is based on the Y5 code?. Looking online (fairly exhaustively), I can’t find any examples of this exact tube with the RCA Radiotron logo.
I can confirm the following, which are characteristic of the RCA VT231 / RCA 6SN7GT version #1 tube:

Other significant features: 2 stabilising rectangular mica ‘ears’ on either side of round top mica. Mica ears often ‘scratch’ out trails in the grey glass.
Not labeled ‘VT-231’ but having ‘RCA’ in a circular logo (with a lightning bolt) labeled in silver print on the base.

Note - I would post pictures, but I can't figure out how to do so. I tried posting the pictures to Pinterest, then using the links here, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Thank you!
Y - 1941
5 - Sep-Oct

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #9,523 of 10,116

Thank you!
I still own several, great tubes.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #9,524 of 10,116

Thank you!
Use the "Attach Files" just under the text box at the left. Click that and you can select the file(s) from your computer to upload directly.

1696554777255.png

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #9,525 of 10,116

Thank you!
There should be an "insert image" icon at the top of your message/reply window - ctrl + p is the hotkey for it.
But, seeing that you're a newb, you might not be able to post pics yet. I know at one time folks needed to have a certain number of posts before they could insert images/videos/etc. Not sure if that's still the case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back