The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #6,751 of 10,028
soo... just getting a feel for a few 6sn6gtb tubes on my antares stax amp.

i found the GE to be my least favorite, just doesnt sound that good to me... new production EH sound similar to the Sylvania... and the RCA and Sylvania chrome tops are my favorite beautifully warm and lush, especially the RCA (red label).

sooo.. to get a few more tube flavors in, i was consideromg getting some nos tung sol or the rca silver label (older)

has anyone heard both silver and red/orange label rca? any difference in sound? alternatively, other suggestions to round out my tube collection?

Apr 17, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #6,752 of 10,028
A while back I had asked if Sylvania ever made a round plate 6/12sn7 to match the round plate 6/12j5gt they made. Since the *gt5 is just half of a *sn7 I thought they should exist. I still haven't found any of those but I have found the 12ah7gt! It is a round plate tube that seems to be similar to the 6sn7 but with a different pin out. Apparently there was a 6ah7 but they are relatively rare. The 12ah7gt is super cheap, I might pick some of them up from various manufacturers and see what they have to offer.

Apr 17, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #6,753 of 10,028

i found the GE to be my least favorite, just doesnt sound that good to me... new production EH sound similar to the Sylvania... and the RCA and Sylvania chrome tops are my favorite beautifully warm and lush, especially the RCA (red label).

sooo.. to get a few more tube flavors in, i was consideromg getting some nos tung sol or the rca silver label (older)

has anyone heard both silver and red/orange label rca? any difference in sound? alternatively, other suggestions to round out my tube collection?
Rather than a different flavor in RCA, which I couldn't tell too much of a difference between, perhaps some Ken-rad, National Union, or tung-sol to get a different feel?

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #6,754 of 10,028

That's a shame. Bowen, a favorite tube Oligarch here at Head-Fi swears by GE tubes.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #6,757 of 10,028
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #6,758 of 10,028
A while back I had asked if Sylvania ever made a round plate 6/12sn7 to match the round plate 6/12j5gt they made. Since the *gt5 is just half of a *sn7 I thought they should exist. I still haven't found any of those but I have found the 12ah7gt! It is a round plate tube that seems to be similar to the 6sn7 but with a different pin out. Apparently there was a 6ah7 but they are relatively rare. The 12ah7gt is super cheap, I might pick some of them up from various manufacturers and see what they have to offer.
Nice find! I can't use a 12v tube myself, but I saw this 6-volter on Ebay. It doesn't test all that well so I'll pass on it, but I'll keep my eyes open for more. Let us know what you hear if you get some yourself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383781987983?hash=item595b30668f:g:OHUAAOSwrptfl1az

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #6,759 of 10,028
I found the GE to be my least favorite, just doesnt sound that good to me...
Of GE tubes, the most civil assessment that I have encountered…

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #6,760 of 10,028

If you're interested in finding round plate Sylvania tubes, check out 6SL7's, they are mostly round plate.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #6,762 of 10,028
If you're interested in finding round plate Sylvania tubes, check out 6SL7's, they are mostly round plate.
I do like the Sylvania 6sl7 tubes. I also have Tungsol 6c8g tubes for a round plate fix lol.

Apr 18, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #6,764 of 10,028
Have you had a round plate fix from GE, say, a GE 6SL7 round plate? :wink:
I actually own some but have never tried them. I know the running gag here is that GE tubes are irredeemably bad and certainly based on my experience with the 6sn7 I have from them I think it is well deserved. I do have a pair of GE 6ez5 tubes that I think sound great though. I'm also looking forward to hearing the GE 6b46ga tubes I have. They have an enormous plate structure quite unlike their 807 tubes. SO I'm not totally down on GE tubes although I haven't had any luck with the small signal tubes yet.

I've had s more difficult time getting 6sl7 tubes to work in my amp. I'm guessing that it's just too much gain but I don't really know. Anyway, that's the real reason I haven't tried the GE 6sl7 yet. I'll probably get around to it eventually.

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #6,765 of 10,028
I actually own some but have never tried them. I know the running gag here is that GE tubes are irredeemably bad and certainly based on my experience with the 6sn7 I have from them I think it is well deserved. I do have a pair of GE 6ez5 tubes that I think sound great though. I'm also looking forward to hearing the GE 6b46ga tubes I have. They have an enormous plate structure quite unlike their 807 tubes. SO I'm not totally down on GE tubes although I haven't had any luck with the small signal tubes yet.

I've had s more difficult time getting 6sl7 tubes to work in my amp. I'm guessing that it's just too much gain but I don't really know. Anyway, that's the real reason I haven't tried the GE 6sl7 yet. I'll probably get around to it eventually.

Yep, 6SL7 has a very high gain of 70 (vs. 20 from 6SN7).

I'm not so familiar with the pentodes that you mentioned as I'm not a pentode fan, but I wish you good luck there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back