The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Jan 13, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #5,326 of 10,123
I watch for those tubes pretty often looking for what I consider to be the holy grail.😁

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #5,327 of 10,123
Jan 13, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #5,329 of 10,123
1961's are the holy grail :relaxed:
They are extremely close. The best ones to me look identical to the 1578's but have a solid shiny plate instead of the perforated. They may have been a factory mistake or just built some when they ran out of perforated plates, they are my favorites and were chosen blind as one of the highest rated 6sn7's out of over 1500 equivalent tubes eight of us tried. The 1961 came in one point under as I recall.

Mind you I test in amps I designed, @bcowen and @sam6550a have one but I am trying to get away from amp building so they are not exactly available. I have a last loaner going out sometime in the next week just for a few friends to hear, who never got the opportunity before.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #5,330 of 10,123
Any seen this before? One side is brighter than other on the top. Left side brighter but only at the top. As far as I can tell it sounds normal but I have no comparison since I just got the amp / tube. I have already ordered a new tube for tube rolling but, am curious to know if this one is bad because if so I will email schiit for a replacement. I may just do that anyway and see what they say.

PXL_20220113_182702832.jpg

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #5,331 of 10,123
Any seen this before? One side is brighter than other on the top. Left side brighter but only at the top. As far as I can tell it sounds normal but I have no comparison since I just got the amp / tube. I have already ordered a new tube for tube rolling but, am curious to know if this one is bad because if so I will email schiit for a replacement. I may just do that anyway and see what they say.

I have many tubes that are like that. As far as I know, there's no harm in it

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #5,332 of 10,123
I have many tubes that are like that. As far as I know, there's no harm in it
You are right and here is a brief explanation I borrowed. :ksc75smile:

Flashed getters are prepared by arranging a reservoir of volatile and reactive material inside the vacuum system. After the system has been evacuated and sealed, the material is heated (usually by radio frequency induction heating). After evaporating, it deposits as a coating on the interior surfaces of the system. Flashed getters (typically made with barium) are commonly used in vacuum tubes. Most getters can be seen as a silvery metallic spot on the inside of the tube's glass envelope. Large transmission tubes and specialty systems often use more exotic getters, including aluminium, magnesium, calcium, sodium, strontium, caesium, and phosphorus.

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #5,333 of 10,123
Hello,
I have the same problem with the Feliks Euforia: the left side is a little brighter than the right.
I don't think it has any influence.
Possible explanation would be that the left runs a little hotter than the right.
At least that's what I told myself.
In the end, I see it as burnt residue from production residues, such as glue, coatings, grease, etc. that are produced during manufacturing.

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #5,334 of 10,123
Hello,
I have the same problem with the Feliks Euforia: the left side is a little brighter than the right.
I don't think it has any influence.
Possible explanation would be that the left runs a little hotter than the right.
At least that's what I told myself.
In the end, I see it as burnt residue from production residues, such as glue, coatings, grease, etc. that are produced during manufacturing.
When this happens it's likely that the filament is sticking a bit further out of one plate than the other. Nothing to worry about.

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #5,335 of 10,123

I came home from work and checked my Saga. Brightness on each side is equal. Do I need to do a blind test?

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #5,336 of 10,123
Jan 13, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #5,338 of 10,123
When this happens it's likely that the filament is sticking a bit further out of one plate than the other. Nothing to worry about.
I have one tube (don't remember the manf) where the top of the right heater filament was brighter by exactly the same amount as the bottom of the left heater filament. I don't suppose heaters can be installed upside down, can they:thinking:

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #5,339 of 10,123
They are extremely close. The best ones to me look identical to the 1578's but have a solid shiny plate instead of the perforated. They may have been a factory mistake or just built some when they ran out of perforated plates, they are my favorites and were chosen blind as one of the highest rated 6sn7's out of over 1500 equivalent tubes eight of us tried. The 1961 came in one point under as I recall.

Mind you I test in amps I designed, @bcowen and @sam6550a have one but I am trying to get away from amp building so they are not exactly available. I have a last loaner going out sometime in the next week just for a few friends to hear, who never got the opportunity before.

Is this what "solid shiny plate" should look like (not perforated) ?

s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back