The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Mar 10, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #3,827 of 10,005
Mar 11, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #3,828 of 10,005
My raytheon Vt-231 sound fabulous but has a slight hum on my Euforia. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #3,831 of 10,005
The RCA red base 5692’s have a reputation for being silent. Mine certainly are, and sound good too.
+1 on the 5692's. I have these from Upscale Audio and they are whisper quite (and sound great). I've also noticed a very slight hum if the volume knob is at zero but if turned up just a little (with no music) the hum disappears with these.

I just took delivery today of Sylvania 6SN7GTA chrome domes from Brent Jessie who's a great tube source BTW. They seem to have a very slight hum. Way to early to fully judge them but I have high hopes for them. They were also only $90 for the pair.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #3,832 of 10,005
Guys, my Brimar 6sn7 tube has a time that has noise, or even a channel fails, but when I tap it a little, it goes back to normal and plays normally without any noise. What can this be?

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #3,834 of 10,005
Guys, my Brimar 6sn7 tube has a time that has noise, or even a channel fails, but when I tap it a little, it goes back to normal and plays normally without any noise. What can this be?
What @JTbbb said.

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #3,835 of 10,005
I think the advice will be to re-solder the pins. To start with anyways.
How does one go about doing this? Sorry if its noob question as I have never soldered before.

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #3,836 of 10,005
I think the advice will be to re-solder the pins. To start with anyways.

Besides the pins, is there a possibility of some other problem?

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #3,837 of 10,005
+1 on reflowing solder or re-soldering.

I've also resolved intermittent noise issues by taking a tube and either thumping the top of the tube a few times or even taking the tube in my hand and tapping it on a desk surface while holding the tube upside down. Sometime these noise issues are the result of debris collecting on the plates and a reasonably vigorous yet cautious few taps will cause the debris to loosen and fall.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #3,838 of 10,005
The RCA red base 5692’s have a reputation for being silent. Mine certainly are, and sound good too.

I have got CBS HYTRON 5692 tube. It has yellowish-brown base.

5692.jpg

Is RCA red base tube better than this tube?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #3,839 of 10,005
I have got CBS HYTRON 5692 tube. It has yellowish-brown base.

Is RCA red base tube better than this tube?
We were just discussing these in another thread. It's unclear who the manufacturers of these tubes were, but according to Upscale Audio (which is by no means definitive, but usually has reliable information) they were made by RCA, GE, and CBS/Hytron. I just happen to have one of each here that are paying a visit from a fellow HeadFi'er, and as best I can tell these 3 tubes are totally identical inside. Same support rods, same plate design (and even color), same large rectangular getter, and although the coloration of the micas varies between them, they are all true mica material and all shaped exactly the same with identical support rod collars and cutout design. If these were not all made in the same factory, and if those 3 companies were truly the only ones involved, they were extremely adept at copying each other down to the finest detail.

So does the RCA sound better? I'd be surprised if it sounded much different at all, honestly. But I'll leave the sonic comparison to the owner of the tubes once I send them back. :sweat_smile: Fortunately they all test very close to each other in GM, so any differences (if there are any) won't be due to different output levels.

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/cbs-hytron-5692

5692 Trio.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back