The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Dec 26, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #3,196 of 10,123
I mostly listen to rock/metal so I had to sell those and go for the Audeze LCD 2 headphones. It was a great decision back then. Now I have the he1000SE headphones, and once again I see no reason to upgrade.

Hmmm I miss this completely. So HE1000se was ok for you with rock? Forget about metal. It’s too progressive for me.

In that case, I can’t wait for the HE1000se to arrive. Its supposed tobe between 31 Dec and 7 Jan.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #3,198 of 10,123
OMG. That dog has had way too much pork BBQ. 😯

Seems to be nurture as opposed to nature given the girth of the kitty at the bottom of the pic. 🙄

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #3,199 of 10,123
I am comparing them to the 63' Melz hole plates. I also have many, many 6n8s melz tubes with only 2 holes in the plates. I have years 1948-1956. I like the sound of the 48' one, year 52' comes very close. Fun fact : 6n8s melz from 1948-1949 do not have any holes in the plates. It does not affect the sound quality at all though, quite the contrary I enjoy very much the sound of the 48'. My favorite 6n8s melz tubes so far were made in 1948 and 1952. They sound almost identical to the real deal, the 1578 hole plates tubes. That's if you have a pair from 63' !! My matched pair from 80' doesn't sound as good, at least to my ears. If I had to pick between a pair of 1578 hole plates made in the 70's or 80's, or a pair of 6n8s melz made in 52', I'd pick the 6n8s melz 52'.

Now what you have not mentioned are 56-58 with all the attributes of the hole plates but without the holes. I even ended up with one from the 80's without Melz markings. Other than the 63's those are my favorite Melz tubes and towards the top of any tubes I own. My guess is the factory ran out of perforated plates and used left over plates. 58 Melz is on the left.

new melz.jpg

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #3,200 of 10,123
Hmmm I miss this completely. So HE1000se was ok for you with rock? Forget about metal. It’s too progressive for me.

In that case, I can’t wait for the HE1000se to arrive. Its supposed tobe between 31 Dec and 7 Jan.

Yes they are great on every genre of music for sure. Amazing bass and soundstage. They really rock ! :)
Now what you have not mentioned are 56-58 with all the attributes of the hole plates but without the holes. I even ended up with one from the 80's without Melz markings. Other than the 63's those are my favorite Melz tubes and towards the top of any tubes I own. My guess is the factory ran out of perforated plates and used left over plates. 58 Melz is on the left.

I said earlier I had year 1956 but I may have been wrong, if I am not then I barely used it since I can't remember how it sounded like. Maybe I should try to order some from year 56' - 58' if you have that sweet 58' in your favorites !

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #3,203 of 10,123
Guys He1000se is a NOS 6sn7gt in case you didn't know. So don't boot me out.

Hope it's not a GE, or it's back to Dog-Fi for you.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #3,204 of 10,123
Hope it's not a GE, or it's back to Dog-Fi for you.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

If you think about it - a GE is just one 'C' short of stardom. So why wouldn't you love a GE without the C ?

Btw did you know that I started my IT career in GE fourscore and seven years ago? That's General Electric for you - without the Company. It's American not the GEC British. :wink: :wink::wink: Now I'll start a war.

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #3,208 of 10,123
If you think about it - a GE is just one 'C' short of stardom. So why wouldn't you love a GE without the C ?

Btw did you know that I started my IT career in GE fourscore and seven years ago? That's General Electric for you - without the Company. It's American not the GEC British. :wink: :wink::wink: Now I'll start a war.

We've been through the 'C' thing already (probably while you were sleeping). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My bro' in law has been a career GE guy, first in aircraft engines then playing with trains. I still give him grief whenever one of my GE appliances dies, to which his usual reply is "which plane have you been in when a GE engine failed?" Oh crap, now we're back to stewardesses.....:grinning:

Dec 27, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #3,209 of 10,123
Yes they are great on every genre of music for sure. Amazing bass and soundstage. They really rock ! :)

I said earlier I had year 1956 but I may have been wrong, if I am not then I barely used it since I can't remember how it sounded like. Maybe I should try to order some from year 56' - 58' if you have that sweet 58' in your favorites !
Let me try one more time lol. The 56 and 58's I am talking about are identical to 1578's except without perforated plates. Same metal supports at the top, same bottom mica. Many of the older Melz have oval micas or mica supports at the top, those are not what I am describing here lol.58 Melz solid plate.jpg56 melz.jpg

The first photo is a 58 and you can see the solid plates better than on my photo of the 56. What I am not talking about are these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-MELZ-6...202481?hash=item2af83a6331:g:QNkAAOSwoS9fvnB1

I have them, I have heard them, not the same thing. I sent a sample of a 58 solid plate to five people on here including @bcowen,@Ripper2860,@JKDJedi, @FLTWS, and @sam6550a. All but Sam had one of my amps with which to check out the tube and I hope to get him a loaner amp in the next couple months. All reports on the tube were fairly positive and many of these guys have the 63 perforated plates and other 1578's. I do not call this a 1578 because of the plate difference but that is the only difference.

If you are able to find these, PM me and I will make it worth your while. There is one version on EBAY right now but they do not have shiny plates, and they do not even have a Melz logo, I bought one and it looks like someone has added or reattached the metal base so I do not recommend them.

Dec 27, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #3,210 of 10,123
Let me try one more time lol. The 56 and 58's I am talking about are identical to 1578's except without perforated plates. Same metal supports at the top, same bottom mica. Many of the older Melz have oval micas or mica supports at the top, those are not what I am describing here lol.58 Melz solid plate.jpg56 melz.jpg

The first photo is a 58 and you can see the solid plates better than on my photo of the 56. What I am not talking about are these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-MELZ-6...202481?hash=item2af83a6331:g:QNkAAOSwoS9fvnB1

I have them, I have heard them, not the same thing. I sent a sample of a 58 solid plate to five people on here including @bcowen,@Ripper2860,@JKDJedi, @FLTWS, and @sam6550a. All but Sam had one of my amps with which to check out the tube and I hope to get him a loaner amp in the next couple months. All reports on the tube were fairly positive and many of these guys have the 63 perforated plates and other 1578's. I do not call this a 1578 because of the plate difference but that is the only difference.

If you are able to find these, PM me and I will make it worth your while. There is one version on EBAY right now but they do not have shiny plates, and they do not even have a Melz logo, I bought one and it looks like someone has added or reattached the metal base so I do not recommend them.

Yes, the quasi-1578 (or should we call it the Mutant Melz :grin:) is a different animal. I actually preferred it to the '63 true 1578. Not a night and day kind of difference, but I thought overall it was more musically engaging than the '63. And I prefer that '63 (true) 1578 to the regular Melz 6N8S (and I have several early '50's dates of those).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back