The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Dec 21, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #3,106 of 10,123
Mo' power, mo' bigger. Less power, less bigger.

Is there more?

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

There is also a direct correlation to beauty and sonic quality. The prettier a cable is, the better it sounds. Cables are not unlike other things in this way, in that the more attractive something is, the better it sounds.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #3,108 of 10,123
Quick question

National Union black glass - $31.95 USD?

Worth the email to see if they're actually in stock

Not a bad tube, but not an exceptional one either. The older national union smoked gray glass tubes are better, imho. They are a very lush tube. Very...tubey, for lack of a better word. I always feel that unless you're just trying to fill a need to spend a bit more for the better tube, or you'll just end up spending even more when you upgrade/

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #3,109 of 10,123
There is also a direct correlation to beauty and sonic quality. The prettier a cable is, the better it sounds. Cables are not unlike other things in this way, in that the more attractive something is, the better it sounds.

Now the color purple sounds the best of all IMHO. :ksc75smile: I happen to build all cables for my home setups and this is my personal choice. This is a cotton based mesh and as with many natural materials it is less subject to static. It is often used in ESD clothing.

I was also going to comment on the black glass National Unions, decent tubes but kind of middle of the road. IMG_1449 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #3,110 of 10,123
Now the color purple sounds the best of all IMHO. :ksc75smile: I happen to build all cables for my home setups and this is my personal choice. This is a cotton based mesh and as with many natural materials it is less subject static. It is often used in ESD clothing.

I was also going to comment on the black glass National Unions, decent tubes but kind of middle of the road.IMG_1449 (1).jpg
Yep love the purple cotton, definitely sounds the best in purple.....:slight_smile:

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #3,111 of 10,123
Yep love the purple cotton, definitely sounds the best in purple.....:slight_smile:
You are a man of substance and great taste, unlike some I could name that adore a certain basketball team in North Carolina. :ksc75smile:

I am taking a break and listening more to a grey solid plate Melz, it is getting better and better. It might look bogus but the sound is there for a Melz tube. Not up to 63 standards but well above middle of the road.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,112 of 10,123
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #3,113 of 10,123
Especially if you are listening to Prince.
I swear my loaner amp may be Purple Heart and maple, maybe matching interconnects.DFC6FFCC-D54D-48B1-AF68-31F478F552B2.jpeg

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #3,114 of 10,123

In general I'm in complete agreement. But there's always exceptions...like my wife. Aesthetically pleasing, but sonically fatiguing. LOL!!

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #3,115 of 10,123
You are a man of substance and great taste, unlike some I could name that adore a certain basketball team in North Carolina. :ksc75smile:

I am taking a break and listening more to a grey solid plate Melz, it is getting better and better. It might look bogus but the sound is there for a Melz tube. Not up to 63 standards but well above middle of the road.

Yes, we all know purple sounds best, but you kind of 'appropriated' it without filling out the proper paperwork or even submitting an application. Out of due and proper respect for you none of us got our lawyers involved, but you shouldn't be bragging about it. :joy: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #3,116 of 10,123
Yes, we all know purple sounds best, but you kind of 'appropriated' it without filling out the proper paperwork or even submitting an application. Out of due and proper respect for you none of us got our lawyers involved, but you shouldn't be bragging about it. :joy: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I do believe your lawyers are busy right now Bill. :ksc75smile: Sqitis gets purple cables tomorrow, I will just go with his opinion. I am not sure my loaner amp will get past more than a couple people before someone offers me some serious cash, being purple and all with tiger maple.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #3,117 of 10,123
I do believe your lawyers are busy right now Bill. :ksc75smile: Sqitis gets purple cables tomorrow, I will just go with his opinion. I am not sure my loaner amp will get past more than a couple people before someone offers me some serious cash, being purple and all with tiger maple.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

Fine.

Then Merry Christmas Happy Holidays Seasons Greetings have a somewhat reasonable weekend to you.

:laughing: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #3,118 of 10,123
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

Fine.

Then Merry Christmas Happy Holidays Seasons Greetings have a somewhat reasonable weekend to you.

:laughing: :grin: :grin: :grin:
And a happy Festivus to you sir. may your presents not contain bar-b-cue dry rub.

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #3,119 of 10,123
I'd like to publicly thank @Mr Trev for asking a question pertaining to 6SN7 tubes on this thread. Well done, sir, it's always hard to forge your own path.

:)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #3,120 of 10,123
I'd like to publicly thank @Mr Trev for asking a question pertaining to 6SN7 tubes on this thread. Well done, sir, it's always hard to forge your own path.

:)
LOL ok here is a 6sn7 question. What currently produced 6sn7 is a favorite? I do like Psvane but there are others being made by the Chinese and Russians. Anything new that folks have tried recently? Oh yeah there is JJ out of the Slovak republic, I believe Jason at Schiit still uses those and prefers the sound to the Russian Tung Sols.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back