The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Dec 19, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #3,091 of 10,113
No, all else are scared by its presence. They fear ties to the Russian mob, and the possibility of having baseball bats taken to their pins. :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:
What about nerve gas?

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #3,092 of 10,113
What about nerve gas?
I am doing a final listen to a couple 63 Melz for @sqitis this morn, listening to an old Steppenwolf song, Snowblind Friend. Also for a wider range of sound, 3 on E by Vulfpeck.

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #3,094 of 10,113
Keep'em warmed up for me!! Can't wait to hear them!
I usually have a lot of things going at one time, I am trying to fashion a Y splitter out of rosewood for headphone cables. This is in its earliest stages, I need to round the corners more and get rid of excess material. Right now it is also a bit wonky. I did the braid but it is still loose till I get ready to permanently mount the splitter. This is litz wire
inside mesh. Towards the end I will properly twist the wires going to the headphone cups.

. y splitter.jpg

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #3,095 of 10,113
I usually have a lot of things going at one time, I am trying to fashion a Y splitter out of rosewood for headphone cables. This is in its earliest stages, I need to round the corners more and get rid of excess material. Right now it is also a bit wonky. I did the braid but it is still loose till I get ready to permanently mount the splitter. This is litz wire
inside mesh. Towards the end I will properly twist the wires going to the headphone cups.

.y splitter.jpg

That looks like about 12 gauge wire. Hope it's stranded? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #3,096 of 10,113
That looks like about 12 gauge wire. Hope it's stranded? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Of course it is, high strand count litz. Without the mesh sleeve it is pretty tiny and easily damaged. I started to do 8 strand count with a clear jacket but remembering which wire is which when you braid was more work than I wanted to do.

I was a little afraid a Melz 1578 took out my tube tester but luckily a tube inside the tester failed. Getter holder fell off causing a short so I will repair that soon.

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #3,097 of 10,113
I was a little afraid a Melz 1578 took out my tube tester but luckily a tube inside the tester failed. Getter holder fell off causing a short so I will repair that soon.

What's the tube number that failed? I might have one (or 20). :laughing::laughing:

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #3,098 of 10,113
What's the tube number that failed? I might have one (or 20). :laughing::laughing:
6BN8 but they are not expensive, I have some on the way. I thought of asking you but figured I would buy some extras.

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #3,099 of 10,113
6BN8 but they are not expensive, I have some on the way. I thought of asking you but figured I would buy some extras.

Ahhh...the good old diode and two triodes all shoehorned into one little bottle. Glad you found some, 'cause all I have is GE's (which would make your 707 sound terrible). :grin: Pretty sure I put one of those GE's in @Ripper2860 's 700, but that was intentional. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

GE 6BN8.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #3,100 of 10,113

.y splitter.jpg
Damn those look like something I could use for speaker cables........LOL

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #3,101 of 10,113
Damn those look like something I could use for speaker cables........LOL

Or feeding your main electrical panel from the substation. :laughing: :laughing:

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #3,102 of 10,113
Or feeding your main electrical panel from the substation. :laughing: :laughing:
It is late, maybe tomorrow I can explain wires. You guys are making my head hurt.:ksc75smile:

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #3,103 of 10,113
Ahhh...the good old diode and two triodes all shoehorned into one little bottle. Glad you found some, 'cause all I have is GE's (which would make your 707 sound terrible). :grin: Pretty sure I put one of those GE's in @Ripper2860 's 700, but that was intentional. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

GE 6BN8.jpg
I believe I ordered some RCA's and the way USPS is handling packages now, maybe they will arrive one day. I also ordered the appropriate resistor in a 1% version.
Now I just have to repair a Chinese amp, finish a few things for @FLTWS then on to other projects including assembling the Cowen amp and re-capping my Cary.

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #3,104 of 10,113
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #3,105 of 10,113
Mo' power, mo' bigger. Less power, less bigger.

Is there more?

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:
Well there is skin effect, that would be your body telling you to hold the other end of the soldering iron, many learn that quickly but... And twisted pair, that would be you and a partner dancing to old Chubby Checker records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back