The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Sep 28, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #331 of 10,006

The myth of Sylvania 6SN7GT 1952 (Bad Boy) is sorely built by this guy: Robert H.

I bought and tried a pair of well functional ones for about $70. I can confirm to you they worth at best $10 for the sound.

The bass is lacking, the sound is squeezed and the treble is harsh and grainy that it is really fatiguing. If someone really wants it, I can send to you for $10 to test (shipping excluded), maybe it shines on you system? Hope.
IMO, They are not even close to Sylvania 6SN7WGTA in any way.

My lesson, be really careful in the vintage tube industry which is very watered and full of scam.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #332 of 10,006
Hi qwers... and "Heads".

The Sylvania -52 "Bad Boys" already shines on my Wyetech Labs Opal No.040 pre here in Norway :)

But I need spares and will gladly buy from you -If you still have them. Do you? 

General info:
The "Bad Boys" Sylvania 6SN7-GT was made from late 1951, week 39 ("1/39") to early 1953, week 13 ("3/13").
They have black T-plates -3 holes, Copper grids, Bottom getter, "polished" rectangular mica, green labels on black base.

I've seen many "Bad Boys" on eBay that's really not the ones:
6SN7GT; 2 hole T-plates, sometimes "VT-231". Also 3 hole versions of "cromes" or flat plates. Even WGTA's..
Some of these are good, other less good but NONE of them are "Bad Boys" :wink:

Otherwise, have a nice day!

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #333 of 10,006
Hi Koper,
Very Thanks for your interest.

I still have them. You can check in the link below. I can give you more clear pictures if you need.
https://2.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2007.1000338.6.4.cP8WUm&id=522705090906

The right one with date code 231 is not working very well but still functional normally, but I may not recommend you buying that. I am currently using Ken-rad VT231 which IMO is more catering to my preference.

Anyway, I can give you each for $5. But you have to deal with shipping fees, which may be very high.  

You too:)

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #334 of 10,006
  Hi qwers... and "Heads".

The Sylvania -52 "Bad Boys" already shines on my Wyetech Labs Opal No.040 pre here in Norway :)

But I need spares and will gladly buy from you -If you still have them. Do you? 

General info:
The "Bad Boys" Sylvania 6SN7-GT was made from late 1951, week 39 ("1/39") to early 1953, week 13 ("3/13").
They have black T-plates -3 holes, Copper grids, Bottom getter, "polished" rectangular mica, green labels on black base.

I've seen many "Bad Boys" on eBay that's really not the ones:
6SN7GT; 2 hole T-plates, sometimes "VT-231". Also 3 hole versions of "cromes" or flat plates. Even WGTA's..
Some of these are good, other less good but NONE of them are "Bad Boys" :wink:

Otherwise, have a nice day!

I have a new pair, immaculate condition and only taken out fr testing, if you PM me I will send you photos and details, also have 2 x pairs of NOS Syl Metal bases

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #335 of 10,006
Can someone upload the pictures for the Kenrad VT-231with staggered plates?
The pics in the first post are broken.
I'd like to know what they look like & get the right ones & not the inferior GE produced ones.

May 6, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #338 of 10,006
One of the rarest 6SN7 variants is now on ebay in NIB condition: the 33S30B
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-NOS-NIB-33S30B-5692-6SN7GT-ECC33-Standard-Radio-/252379523567?

It'll be fun to see how crazy expensive this pair fetches.

May 6, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #339 of 10,006

The myth of Sylvania 6SN7GT 1952 (Bad Boy) is sorely built by this guy: Robert H.

I bought and tried a pair of well functional ones for about $70. I can confirm to you they worth at best $10 for the sound.

The bass is lacking, the sound is squeezed and the treble is harsh and grainy that it is really fatiguing. If someone really wants it, I can send to you for $10 to test (shipping excluded), maybe it shines on you system? Hope.
IMO, They are not even close to Sylvania 6SN7WGTA in any way.

My lesson, be really careful in the vintage tube industry which is very watered and full of scam.

You may have gotten a tired pair because I can confirm (having listened to hundreds of true Bad Boys vs VT-231) that the Bad Boy bass is FAR superior.  And neither the VT-231 nor the Bad Boys should have harsh, grainy, fatiguing treble.  They're actually known for outstanding treble, which is my experience as well.

The construction between the two Sylvanias are very different.  I've even take photos of an exposed Bad Boy vs a VT-231 that shows VERY significant differences in design:
http://reefscapes.net/temp/headfi/52v6sn7gt.jpg

Yes, Robert Hutton was a questionable dude (we spoke at length in private, and he's even scammed me of a thousand dollars worth of tubes).  But that doesn't mean everything he said was false.

May 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #342 of 10,006

Hi there fellow 6SN7 owners. Got this in the mail today, a pair of Sylvania 6SN7GTB. Do anyone know which year these are from by looking at the picture? It also says H6B on the top of both.

May 17, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #343 of 10,006
Hey Guys, just received a pair NOS Tubes, sold as Sylvania 6SN7GTA/ECC32 Tubes Chrome Domes 1953, but the are labeled Motorola. First is this a Sylvania Tube? They are indeed "chrome dome", just curious. Probably won't be able to listen to them until my move is completed next week. Has anyone ever heard this tube, it's not included in the original post?

May 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #344 of 10,006
  Hey Guys, just received a pair NOS Tubes, sold as Sylvania 6SN7GTA/ECC32 Tubes Chrome Domes 1953, but the are labeled Motorola. First is this a Sylvania Tube? They are indeed "chrome dome", just curious. Probably won't be able to listen to them until my move is completed next week. Has anyone ever heard this tube, it's not included in the original post?

Tubes were rebranded all the time and Sylvania supplied, along with RCA, a lot of the tubes to be rebranded. It started back in the 1920's. The ones to watch out for are the real off brand as those were normally rejects they could buy, that tested low or high and then they would buy them and rebrand them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back