The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #7,996 of 10,123
Liquid (not the gel) super glue.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #7,997 of 10,123
Hey, it is probably in this thread or on this forum somewhere, but don't have lots of time to search, so apologies if this is repeated question. But does anyone know how to easily "fix" or re-glue a loose base on a tube? You know, the plastic part at the bottom - a lot of these older tubes will function fine, but the base will be a bit loose, and I was hoping there might be a simple way to go about getting that glued back down again.
Acetone(finger nail polish remover) it must ‘reactivate’ the original cement used. It works most of the time. I use a small paint brush, dip it in the acetone and run the brush carefully along the edge of the base so it flows in. Then either rubber band it tight or just hold it firmly in your hand for as long as you can stand it.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #7,998 of 10,123
Acetone(finger nail polish remover) it must ‘reactivate’ the original cement used. It works most of the time. I use a small paint brush, dip it in the acetone and run the brush carefully along the edge of the base so it flows in. Then either rubber band it tight or just hold it firmly in your hand for as long as you can stand it.
I had good results with a liquid crazy glue that I brushed on sparingly between the socket and the glass. Somebody said the crazy glue is conductive but I never had any problems. Once brushed on, hold in place for a minute and then let it dry 12-24 hours standing up. If necessary, secure with rubber bands etc.
1668044331862.png

Can also be used to glue a lose anode cap in place. I found that a number of old ST type tubes, especially European ones, could have lose bases.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #7,999 of 10,123
+1 no mess
I made a stand using a small piece of cardboard. Place the tube on stand upright and leave it on top of the amp to dry while I enjoy my music.

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #8,000 of 10,123
I have a noob question.
Socket and pin choice, which effect do they have?

Let's say a manufacturer has a 6SN7 tube and then makes a Version of it with ceramik socket and Gold Pins, will there be any difference to other sockets and Pins?

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #8,001 of 10,123
I have a noob question.

Let's say a manufacturer has a 6SN7 tube and then makes a Version of it with ceramik socket and Gold Pins, will there be any difference to other sockets and Pins?
I will let others chime in on their experiences but please correct me if I have misunderstood you, I think you are talking about tube base or just base and not socket.
This is a base...
s-l1600.jpg

These are sockets...
DSC04932 (656 x 282)-656x282.jpg

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #8,002 of 10,123
I will let others chime in on their experiences but please correct me if I have misunderstood you, I think you are talking about tube base or just base and not socket.
This is a base...
s-l1600.jpg
These are sockets...
DSC04932 (656 x 282)-656x282.jpg
Base, or in my noob words "part of the tube not of the amp"

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #8,004 of 10,123
Base, or in my noob words "part of the tube not of the amp"
The only thing I have come across regarding base material, is in regards to some materials may be more efficient at preventing the heat from the tube transferring to the amp. It’s possibly of benefit, but the electronic components under the top plate are going to be warm anyway.

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #8,005 of 10,123
The only thing I have come across regarding base material, is in regards to some materials may be more efficient at preventing the heat from the tube transferring to the amp. It’s possibly of benefit, but the electronic components under the top plate are going to be warm anyway.

True, I did notice that my metal base 6080s result in a hotter amp top plate than the plastic base equivalents like 5998, 421A or 6AS7G. Even though those are supposed to draw more power?

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #8,006 of 10,123
True, I did notice that my metal base 6080s result in a hotter amp top plate than the plastic base equivalents like 5998, 421A or 6AS7G. Even though those are supposed to draw more power?
As mentioned, it does not seem to make much of a difference with different materials.
That said, I remember reading that tube bases made of something called Micanol(?) were supposed to be less microphonic. Also, some tube pins such as the Russian rhodium plated ones, seem to be more resistant to corrosion.
Some time back I did an experiment with different 6AS7/6080 tubes. Even though they draw the same current, some tubes (especially the 6080WB graphite plate) get hotter than others.
Using socket savers dissipates the heat from the tubes and lowers the chassis temperature.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #8,007 of 10,123
I have a noob question.

The base doesn’t make any different for audio. You’ll see some references to “low loss” micinol bases (I think). Those apparently could help in certain applications. I’m guessing things like use in measuring equipment and maybe RF work were more sensitive to something that audio isn’t. The only upside to gold pins is that they don’t corrode.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #8,008 of 10,123
Any reason why silver could not be used (have been used) for tube pins? Highest conductivity, resistance to corrosion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #8,009 of 10,123
Any reason why silver could not be used (have been used) for tube pins? Highest conductivity, resistance to corrosion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My understanding is that silver fares quite badly with the passage of time. It's not corrosion but something else.

See here:

"The primary disadvantage of silver is that silver is a semi-precious metal and forms sulfur compounds such as silver sulfide or tarnish which can affect the conductivity of the silver electrodeposit over time."

advancedplatingtech.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-gold-vs-silver-plated-connectors-or-contacts/

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #8,010 of 10,123
Hey all, I’m thinking of adding a freya + to my chain and am looking for the following tubes:

MELZ 1578 perforated
Rca grey glass
Ken-Rad VT-231
Quality Hytron

If anybody has good matched tubes please shoot me a note. I would also consider running quad 1578’s for the right price. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back