The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Sep 8, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #736 of 10,057
Depends...on?

Did you want to contribute something?

If you are saying that everything is system dependent and viewed according to subjective taste then I would certainly agree. Most appraisals of tubes on this thread are subjective. If enough folks talk up a tube then it becomes popular and everyone wants to try it. I am just trying to offer an alternative for those who want to try an inexpensive tube that they might really enjoy.
Where I have almost all the various 6sn7 and related tubes.

But it's the first time I heard a 7n7 beat a TS BGRP. So I said it depends. Sorry if that hurt your feelings.

You do have a very special amp. And I appreciate you sharing the information.

Enjoy.

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #737 of 10,057
Excellent indeed. Nice to see the 7N7 mentioned.

I have owned and tried many of the best 6SN7 variants, including the TSRPs and found the 7N7 to surpass them all. Very clear with linear fidelity throughout the bandwidth.

They are cheap and all you need is a pair of loctal to 8 pin adapters easily found on eBay. If you need a 12SN7 you can use a 14N7. I uses these in my Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL v2 and ZOTL Preamp.
Well. Like 6SN7, 7N7 are not all made equal - although the variety is smaller. @bcowen has a post on 7N7 he calls Frankentube, Philco made in Lansdale (former National Union factory), which some of us agree is the best among them. I recently bought two of the NOS for $50, so cheap they are no longer. The rest depends on your equipment and preferences.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #738 of 10,057
Well. Like 6SN7, 7N7 are not all made equal - although the variety is lesser. @bcowen has a post on 7N7 he calls Frankentube, Philco made in Lansdale (former National Union factory), which some of us agree is the best among them. I recently bought two of the NOS for $50, so cheap they are no longer. The rest depends on your equipment and preferences.

Thanks for the reference to the Frankentube. I have been using tall bottle 7N7s with T-plates. Not sure about the other qualifications.

Sep 8, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #739 of 10,057
Well. Like 6SN7, 7N7 are not all made equal - although the variety is lesser. @bcowen has a post on 7N7 he calls Frankentube, Philco made in Lansdale (former National Union factory), which some of us agree is the best among them. I recently bought two of the NOS for $50, so cheap they are no longer. The rest depends on your equipment and preferences.
Happiness is finding said post..got my popcorn ready and reading this thing....now :)

EDIT: My Search Begins... I'm coming to get you Frankentube

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #740 of 10,057
Sep 9, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #741 of 10,057
Thanks Deaf Donkey , after reading his small write up on the Frankentube, did a search (looking for tall 7n7, chrome dome 1/3 of the way down, race track oval micas, Black T plates, and the flat Frankenstein head up top) it was quick to find, Not as exotic as the Tung Sols you shared with me, but very close if not carbon copy on build, Philco branded. ( Made by National Union? )
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #742 of 10,057
Thanks Deaf Donkey , after reading his small write up on the Frankentube, did a search (looking for tall 7n7, chrome dome 1/3 of the way down, race track oval micas, Black T plates, and the flat Frankenstein head up top) it was quick to find, Not as exotic as the Tung Sols you shared with me, but very close if not carbon copy on build, Philco branded. ( Made by National Union? )

I cannot confirm with certainty who made them. Pretty darn sure they were made by Sylvania though. 7N7's were made only by Sylvania and National Union (again, not 100% certain on that but pretty darn sure as well), so the exterior branding is irrelevant. The Philcos you've pictured look to be genuine Frankies as are the Tung Sols in the Ebay link. Pretty pricey though. There's another ad on Ebay right now. Says they are new, but not tested and I can't see the bottom mica clearly. That true fully oval "racetrack" mica with no points on it is key. But $23 with free shipping isn't a bad deal, just be aware of the caveats.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202774994841?ul_noapp=true

Sep 9, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #743 of 10,057
I cannot confirm with certainty who made them. Pretty darn sure they were made by Sylvania though. 7N7's were made only by Sylvania and National Union (again, not 100% certain on that but pretty darn sure as well), so the exterior branding is irrelevant. The Philcos you've pictured look to be genuine Frankies as are the Tung Sols in the Ebay link. Pretty pricey though. There's another ad on Ebay right now. Says they are new, but not tested and I can't see the bottom mica clearly. That true fully oval "racetrack" mica with no points on it is key. But $23 with free shipping isn't a bad deal, just be aware of the caveats.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202774994841?ul_noapp=true
Thanks for the post, looks like they just have one left. The pair I grabbed went for $33 delivered and tested/advertised at 86% so if they are the Frankies, :) Reading some of these threads is huge entertainment (new tube every Thursday! :D ) with tons of tips and knowledge. Feeling like a kid in a candy store.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #744 of 10,057
Thanks for the post, looks like they just have one left. The pair I grabbed went for $33 delivered and tested/advertised at 86% so if they are the Frankies, :) Reading some of these threads is huge entertainment (new tube every Thursday! :D ) with tons of tips and knowledge. Feeling like a kid in a candy store.

$33 delivered isn't bad at all for a pair. Just commit to yourself that you'll hang here or the Lyr 3 Tube Roller's thread. If you mistakenly wander over to the Lyr Tube Rollers thread (different than the Lyr 3 thread), you'll find yourself spending your mortgage payment on adapters and $300/pair 9-pin tubes. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #745 of 10,057
$33 delivered isn't bad at all for a pair. Just commit to yourself that you'll hang here or the Lyr 3 Tube Roller's thread. If you mistakenly wander over to the Lyr Tube Rollers thread (different than the Lyr 3 thread), you'll find yourself spending your mortgage payment on adapters and $300/pair 9-pin tubes. :stuck_out_tongue:
This is true! I tried to stay away from the Lyr Tube Rollers thread, but got sucked in a while ago, and my tube collection doubled. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #746 of 10,057
+1

Take it from me -- stay far, far away!! :unamused:

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #747 of 10,057
Just got them in and am just getting use to expecting the unexpected...not the Frankensteins, at least one of them for sure not a Franken, sharp edged mica. And not a pair as mentioned before, I misread the description. And these being my very first 7N7 tubes..I honestly don't know if the top is flat enough to be considered a Franken, so to be safe..the search continues! (still waiting for the adapter) :frowning2:
IMG_20190911_121153.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #748 of 10,057
The one on the left is a Frankie. The one on the right appears that it might not be a Frankie. The bottom mica on the right appears to be more of a rounded-off rectangle mica while the one on the left is much more oval -- a tell-tale sign of a true Frankie. Of course, it could just be the pic angle on the right tube.

BTW -- Enjoy. The Frankie is a very nice tube. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #749 of 10,057
Just got them in and am just getting use to expecting the unexpected...not the Frankensteins, at least one of them for sure not a Franken, sharp edged mica. And not a pair as mentioned before, I misread the description. And these being my very first 7N7 tubes..I honestly don't know if the top is flat enough to be considered a Franken, so to be safe..the search continues! (still waiting for the adapter) :frowning2:

What @Ripper2860 said. :slight_smile: Genuine Frankie on the left, and a Frankimposter on the right. This may sound utterly silly, but the difference in sound between the genuine Frankie and any other tall bottle 7N7 is quite apparent. Be sure to clean the tube pins really well even if they look clean visibly. With the much smaller contact area (compared to the pins of a 6SN7), getting those pins squeaky clean is important. If you haven't done that before, good 'ol isopropyl alcohol (but not rubbing alcohol) and a pipe cleaner are cheap and work great.

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #750 of 10,057
The one on the left is a Frankie. The one on the right appears that it might not be a Frankie. The bottom mica on the right appears to be more of a rounded-off rectangle mica while the one on the left is much more oval -- a tell-tale sign of a true Frankie. Of course, it could just be the pic angle on the right tube.

BTW -- Enjoy. The Frankie is a very nice tube. :wink:
What @Ripper2860 said. :slight_smile: Genuine Frankie on the left, and a Frankimposter on the right. This may sound utterly silly, but the difference in sound between the genuine Frankie and any other tall bottle 7N7 is quite apparent. Be sure to clean the tube pins really well even if they look clean visibly. With the much smaller contact area (compared to the pins of a 6SN7), getting those pins squeaky clean is important. If you haven't done that before, good 'ol isopropyl alcohol (but not rubbing alcohol) and a pipe cleaner are cheap and work great.
Thanks for the confirmation guys, and clean the pins....copy, will do that right now. I have some time still till the adapter gets in (this time I grabbed one from Bulgaria!) And am really anxious and excited how this might play out, will have some wine and Cannonball Adderly (Somethin' Else) joining the party. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back