The Reference 6SN7 Thread
Aug 21, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #5,011 of 10,028
I’m looking forward to putting these in the LTA MZ3. Even with the 1959 vintage of these, I find the transition from “analytical” listening to “involvement” listening so easy…
Well no matter what at the end of the day, it is good to know a specific tube might shape sound a bit differently on different music so I suppose that is analytical. I just like to eliminate a lot of bias by using blind testing. If 50 people think a particular tube if wonderful without knowing cost or brand, we might find a $25 tube that is a real sleeper, or a $1,000 tube that is a waste of money. I like the Melz for most all music I listen to on a regular basis and the fact others give it high marks in blind listening makes me think $100 to $150 is not so bad. :ksc75smile:

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #5,012 of 10,028
Well no matter what at the end of the day, it is good to know a specific tube might shape sound a bit differently on different music so I suppose that is analytical. I just like to eliminate a lot of bias by using blind testing. If 50 people think a particular tube if wonderful without knowing cost or brand, we might find a $25 tube that is a real sleeper, or a $1,000 tube that is a waste of money. I like the Melz for most all music I listen to on a regular basis and the fact others give it high marks in blind listening makes me think $100 to $150 is not so bad. :ksc75smile:
You may want to start a new thread on the tube because I saw 50% of your posts here are promoting it. LOL

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #5,013 of 10,028
You may want to start a new thread on the tube because I saw 50% of your posts here are promoting it. LOL
Everyone has preferences. I can also talk about other 6SN7’s since my group spent over $50k on them and I spent time with all of them. 😀
Oh yeah, these tubes were produced over four decades and there are some variations, there is no "it" as you say. I roll plenty of other tubes, grey glass RCA's, black glass Tung Sols, Ken Rad VT 231's etc.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #5,014 of 10,028
He has a point.
Instead of chasing the hare, favourable ones can be just as good.
It is not a 6SN7 tube.
I have made this experience with the popular 6080 Mullard, which is becoming more and more expensive.
And on Ebay I got hold of a 6080 Brimar that was specially re-labelled for Brimar and sold for an apple and an egg.
Later it turned out that the Brimar is a 6080 Sylvania.
I then bought a set of Sylvania and they were identical and compared to the popular Mullard they were subtly seen minimally "worse".
So it didn't go quite as deep as the Mullard but really subtly.
That you forget the minimal loss over time.

There are certainly serious differences between the 6SN7s currently on the market from various well-known manufacturers such as Eh,Tad,JJ Electric etc. and the well-known Ps vane,Shuang,Linlai,Sophia Electric.
As these all meet the norm and standard.

It is up to you to decide whether you want to buy from the Nos market or the well-known ones such as Ps Vane and co.
They certainly go one step further, but there are limits there too.

You should stop when it's best, as they say in our country.
If you like the tube and it suits your taste, you should only look for a replacement.
Then you must/should not care about the rest because it will only end in an unnecessarily costly hare hunt.

Of course, the most expensive ones are not always automatically the best.
If you look at the Nos market, they were just as expensive back then as a standard tube from the internet is today.
Those who drive the price are only the rarities and the people who gild them because of their greed.

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #5,015 of 10,028
He has a point.
Instead of chasing the hare, favourable ones can be just as good.
It is not a 6SN7 tube.
I have made this experience with the popular 6080 Mullard, which is becoming more and more expensive.
And on Ebay I got hold of a 6080 Brimar that was specially re-labelled for Brimar and sold for an apple and an egg.
Later it turned out that the Brimar is a 6080 Sylvania.
I then bought a set of Sylvania and they were identical and compared to the popular Mullard they were subtly seen minimally "worse".
So it didn't go quite as deep as the Mullard but really subtly.
That you forget the minimal loss over time.

There are certainly serious differences between the 6SN7s currently on the market from various well-known manufacturers such as Eh,Tad,JJ Electric etc. and the well-known Ps vane,Shuang,Linlai,Sophia Electric.
As these all meet the norm and standard.

It is up to you to decide whether you want to buy from the Nos market or the well-known ones such as Ps Vane and co.
They certainly go one step further, but there are limits there too.

You should stop when it's best, as they say in our country.
If you like the tube and it suits your taste, you should only look for a replacement.
Then you must/should not care about the rest because it will only end in an unnecessarily costly hare hunt.

Of course, the most expensive ones are not always automatically the best.
If you look at the Nos market, they were just as expensive back then as a standard tube from the internet is today.
Those who drive the price are only the rarities and the people who gild them because of their greed.
I also have the distinction of trying out a bunch of GE tubes to try to find some that sucked less than others lol 6SN7’s again. I do like their 5998A’s though.

I have taken the time to listen to 1900 6SN7’s and equivalents. After this blind testing we hope to do 6080 equivalents, I designed an amp around both types of tubes so it is an easy transition. The baseline 6sn7 may well be a quad of Melz if my group agrees.🦊

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #5,016 of 10,028
I also have the distinction of trying out a bunch of GE tubes to try to find some that sucked less than others lol 6SN7’s again. I do like their 5998A’s though.

I have taken the time to listen to 1900 6SN7’s and equivalents. After this blind testing we hope to do 6080 equivalents, I designed an amp around both types of tubes so it is an easy transition. The baseline 6sn7 may well be a quad of Melz if my group agrees.🦊
The permutations of Melz: 4 of each year, 4 in year sequence…

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #5,017 of 10,028
The permutations of Melz: 4 of each year, 4 in year sequence…
You have to listen to a lot of them but 1958 through 1963 are favorites, I owned a bunch of 63’s and held back a matched quad. There are also 5692’s I would consider because of great overall sound.😀

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #5,018 of 10,028
Hi guys, I am quite sure this isn't a BGRP, has anyone come across this version from the gt series? Any particular info for this variant? Thanks​
That black glass is a National Union 6SN7GT. I have 4 pairs, they have either round or spiked rectangular bottom mica. I have one which is a relabeled Raytheon 6SN7GT and still looking for another one to make a pair.

20210806_144831.jpg

20210806_145305.jpg

20210806_145416.jpg

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #5,022 of 10,028
Sep 5, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #5,023 of 10,028
That black glass is a National Union 6SN7GT. I have 4 pairs, they have either round or spiked rectangular bottom mica. I have one which is a relabeled Raytheon 6SN7GT and still looking for another one to make a pair.
Hi, thanks for sharing. I have asked the seller who sold me the tube and another seller who claims that it is identical to a variant of the black glass RCA 6sn7gt. The same seller who sold me the TS has the RCA as well. I found some resemblances between the both. RCA on the left, TS on the right.

BTW I have the Raytheon VT231 clear glass T plates which I thoroughly enjoy. I will definitely lookout for the Raytheon black glass version that you have shared. Cheers

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1,000.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #5,024 of 10,028
Hi, thanks for sharing. I have asked the seller who sold me the tube and another seller who claims that it is identical to a variant of the black glass RCA 6sn7gt. The same seller who sold me the TS has the RCA as well. I found some resemblances between the both. RCA on the left, TS on the right.

BTW I have the Raytheon VT231 clear glass T plates which I thoroughly enjoy. I will definitely lookout for the Raytheon black glass version that you have shared. Cheers
Please let me know if your sellers have either the Raytheon or Silvertone black glass 6SN7GT, which I have posted, in mint condition with strong and balanced test result. Would love to get another piece each to make pairs. Thanks!!!
Have you tried Raytheon VT231/6SN7GT flat plate yet? They are good too.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #5,025 of 10,028
Please let me know if your sellers have either the Raytheon or Silvertone black glass 6SN7GT, which I have posted, in mint condition with strong and balanced test result. Would love to get another piece each to make pairs. Thanks!!!
Have you tried Raytheon VT231/6SN7GT flat plate yet? They are good too.
Sure, I can ask them on your behalf. He too mentioned about the flat plate Raytheon VT231 claiming it to be better than the T plates, however he is out of stock for those for now. BTW I bought another Nos pair of the TS from the same seller as well. I will PM you if I have good news for the black glass Raytheon or Silvertone. Yes the NU has a batch of the similar variants as well as I was told. Thanks for sharing. Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back