The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #4,172 of 4,200
It’s funny, this thread was originally made because the prices of 6sn7 tubes had gotten too expensive. Little did the originators know how high t they would go! And now we’re getting the same complaints about the single triodes as well. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted lol.

Metal 6j5 and 6c5 are still great deals as are metal 6v6,6f6, and 6l6 (shhh, don’t tell anyone!). If you’re willing to forgo exotic European brands you can also get adapters for triode wired 6j7 or 6sj7. Those are also mostly metal and mostly still really cheap. Also great tubes. Mullard ef36 and ef37 also fit the 6j7 adapters but the best ones are getting harder to find. I’m not convinced that the newer ef37 are any better than the American 6j7…

Another option is to get an adapter that allows you to use other voltages. The 12v tubes are still a great deal. Once again, there are few European 12j5 and equivalent but the American ones are really good and mighty cheap for the most part.
I'm quite certain that some sellers, eBay or otherwise, keep tabs on threads like this. If people are talking up a tube as a must-have the eBay prices will magically double and/or there will suddenly be more listings for that type of tube. Or how a certain seller located in India with a substantial stock of L63 tubes suddenly felt the need to change their eBay seller name and listings after myself and several other people called them out for selling shorted and bad tubes and not wanting to make it right. Literally only a matter of days after the discussion took place in fact.

Still, what exactly can we do? The reason this place exists is to share knowledge, experience and enthusiasm for audio and tubes. At the end of the day they are a dwindling resource with a non-replenishing supply in some cases and capitalism gonna capitalism.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #4,173 of 4,200
I'm quite certain that some sellers, eBay or otherwise, keep tabs on threads like this. If people are talking up a tube as a must-have the eBay prices will magically double and/or there will suddenly be more listings for that type of tube. Or how a certain seller located in India with a substantial stock of L63 tubes suddenly felt the need to change their eBay seller name and listings after myself and several other people called them out for selling shorted and bad tubes and not wanting to make it right. Literally only a matter of days after the discussion took place in fact.

Still, what exactly can we do? The reason this place exists is to share knowledge, experience and enthusiasm for audio and tubes. At the end of the day they are a dwindling resource with a non-replenishing supply in some cases and capitalism gonna capitalism.
There is no doubt that there are professional sellers lurking on these pages. When they see a tube getting favorable reviews they jack up the prices and make more tubes available.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #4,174 of 4,200
There is no doubt that there are professional sellers lurking on these pages. When they see a tube getting favorable reviews they jack up the prices and make more tubes available.
Yup. Had a discussion on here about the “Frankie” 7n7. Went to eBay a day or 2 later and sure enough someone was selling a pair using that terminology at a higher price. Fair enough I suppose. It was accurately labeled and could save someone the time of tracking them down manually. Plus, I don’t mind sellers getting what tubes are worth. I might be one of those sellers at some point!

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #4,175 of 4,200
It’s great this thread has shed light on how good a tube the 6J5 tube is, so people read this thread and go looking for the tube. More people buying from sellers = increased demand = sellers increase price.

If you ignore the Italian sellers lol, the premium 6J5 can still be had for substantially cheaper than the premium 6SN7. Compare metal base GEC L63 to B65 for example. When I went looking for 6SN7 alternatives my first search was “GEC B65 equivalent” as I really liked the sound of that tube, but it was a bit pricey. It was quite a few years ago. How time flies.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #4,176 of 4,200
Yup. Had a discussion on here about the “Frankie” 7n7. Went to eBay a day or 2 later and sure enough someone was selling a pair using that terminology at a higher price. Fair enough I suppose. It was accurately labeled and could save someone the time of tracking them down manually. Plus, I don’t mind sellers getting what tubes are worth. I might be one of those sellers at some point!
Yep this is how it works. Folks retire, and have more time on their hands. Sell a lot of their tubes to other folks, and bring in a bit of cash. This is a far better scenario than dying, not telling anyone how much the tubes are worth, and having the tubes taken to the local dump.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #4,177 of 4,200
Joined the 6S5S club!
IMG_1483 (1).jpeg

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #4,178 of 4,200
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #4,179 of 4,200
Apr 17, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #4,180 of 4,200
Speaking of the 6S5S. . .I just rolled in a quad from 59' made in the Reflektor factory, and I am loving it.

1000005058.jpg

I have 6S5S from two different factories and I am finding them to sound a bit different, but haven’t nailed down the specifics yet.

Got to love variety. . .

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #4,181 of 4,200
I just got these in a couple of days ago- tried for the first time last night and really liked what I heard! These Ken-Rad 7193’s respond really well in the Lampizator TRP dac.

IMG_0862.jpeg

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #4,182 of 4,200
I just got these in a couple of days ago- tried for the first time last night and really liked what I heard! These Ken-Rad 7193’s respond really well in the Lampizator TRP dac.

Love that tube type! They sure did get it right with that one, and truth be told every make of that tube is fabulous.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #4,183 of 4,200
Love that tube type! They sure did get it right with that one, and truth be told every make of that tube is fabulous.
The budget champion of these tubes is the Shuguang 6C8P and surprisingly it is very good sounding and can easily hold its own against the famous names.
Around $5 each on AliExpress including shipping.

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #4,184 of 4,200
A question please ladies and Gents...

When i have read about microphonics prior to playng with 6c5 series... i assumed it was referred to picking up on desk born noises .. for example, i had some Kenrads that picked up touching the desk they were on let alone a light tapping! THose noises are clearly reproduced in some tubes and i assumed with was the microphonics being mentioned. BUT, with some 6c5 tubes im hearing that when i hit the pause button on the music, there is a slight ringing. And with the headphones set to off position,
you can quite clearly hear the music playing on the "tubes" themselves. In all instances, im referring to sounds after warm up, so its not the "otherworldly" warm up noises im referring to. Could someone kindly explain the correct terms to describe what im hearing? Thanks in advance.

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #4,185 of 4,200
A question please ladies and Gents...

When i have read about microphonics prior to playng with 6c5 series... i assumed it was referred to picking up on desk born noises .. for example, i had some Kenrads that picked up touching the desk they were on let alone a light tapping! THose noises are clearly reproduced in some tubes and i assumed with was the microphonics being mentioned. BUT, with some 6c5 tubes im hearing that when i hit the pause button on the music, there is a slight ringing. And with the headphones set to off position,
you can quite clearly hear the music playing on the "tubes" themselves. In all instances, im referring to sounds after warm up, so its not the "otherworldly" warm up noises im referring to. Could someone kindly explain the correct terms to describe what im hearing? Thanks in advance.
Currently listening to Raytheon 6C5G Mesh - these are refined and pokey! And oh my they look amazing!

Attachments

• 1000001501.jpg
    1000001501.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back