The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #4,141 of 4,193
Has anyone seen an actual 2C22? I have not. I have a lot of old tube manuals and the only reference I see to them is from Sylvania, which I didn't think ever made this type tube. Also no on the 6S8S. I've got a couple quads of GEC and one of Ken-Rad and that is plenty for me.
I have some 2c22 National Union quad sets if you have an interest.

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #4,142 of 4,193
I think I finally have a handle on the KTZ41 run as a triode. They definitely add a lot of space and I’m pretty sure that it is due to some sort of funky phase distortion. I don’t understand what it is or how it happens but it is repeatable and unmissable.

The effect can be downright amazing with acoustic instruments but that is what it is, an effect. It’s like I put the music through a plug in on the computer or something. As cool as it can sound it is so over the top that I find myself unable to listen past it anymore. And as is usual with pronounced effects, as good as it sounds on some music it is pretty bad on others. I think I saw someone having some success with them in this thread but I am throwing in the towel, again. Sigh.

Oh well, at least I can use the same adapters for the 8d2 tubes.

Edit: Tracked down some stats on the ktz41 and no wonder it sounds so different. I had been lead to believe that it was a 4v 6j7. It is not, the specs are way way way off. Glad I didn’t blow anything up!

Edit 2: Aaaaand I broke the adapter to use the 8d2. I pushed it down to make sure I had it in all the way and heard a CRACK! Sigh. I’m too afraid to actually use it now. That might be the end of my British 7 pin experiments.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #4,143 of 4,193
Update on the DIY adapter...I have decided to phase out the small enclosure for the bigger one. Here are some pictures with the octal to noval converter.

20240405_182300.jpg

20240405_185654.jpg

Mullard ECL80 & TFK ECH84
20240406_221619.jpg

Here is another recommended tube to try if you havent, it is the TFK ECH84 (Berlin made with diamond)...you can find them NIB for under USD10 a piece. I got real lucky and bought 9 pieces NIB for USD16... :sweat_smile: Enjoy!!!

20240406_220259.jpg

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #4,144 of 4,193
@Designsfx Martin is worth taking the time to engage with. Old school detailed, thorough and friendly. I have a few pairs of these two-capped beauties to try once the adapters arrive. That said, I love NOT having these Chinese adapters in play - I imagine they have their own influence to obscure/change the tube's sound. And I'm not so interesting in buying the big buck Gucci versions being pedelled elsewhere. I went around the world of tubes I have on hand and landed back with the metal base Sylvania 6j5gt's with a Brimar 5r4gy as the cream....I have two versions: double mica/ceramic spacer, grey plate, disc getters and hanging filament, black plates, O getters that sound too similar to each other for my old ears to parse....

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #4,146 of 4,193
It seems that KenRad was the common denominator for 7931/2C22 but I’ve also seen CV3601 branded Haltron that is supposed to be the same thing (though not in large numbers). I’m going to patiently wait for results from @budburma with regard to its use in the Lampizator though- I’ve gotten itchy on tubes/adapters before that didn’t meet expectations. Hopefully they will shine!
So I got a note back and @budburma is telling me the KenRad 7931 is very cool- in fact awesome! I’m adding these to my upcoming order list but wanted to ask the group if anyone has experience with the UK versions like the Mullard DET20, CV1135, CV6, E1148 & VR135.

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #4,147 of 4,193
...wanted to ask the group if anyone has experience with the UK versions like the Mullard DET20, CV1135, CV6, E1148 & VR135.

Yes, I've got GEC CV1135s that are some of my favorite tubes. A lot like the GEC straight glass L63, but trades a little bit of transparency and high end sparkle for a little more warm tube yumminess. I like the Ken-Rad 7931s well enough, but I think the CV1135s are a lot nicer. JMO/YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #4,148 of 4,193
Yes, I've got GEC CV1135s that are some of my favorite tubes. A lot like the GEC straight glass L63, but trades a little bit of transparency and high end sparkle for a little more warm tube yumminess. I like the Ken-Rad 7931s well enough, but I think the CV1135s are a lot nicer. JMO/YMMV and all that.
Ive first pursued 6SN7 for my Cayin 300b MkII. I settled at Tungsol Black Glass Oval Plates. Round plates were almost impossible to find as NOS and Melz 1578 equally as difficult and equally as expensive (My journey began around 12 months ago). SO i started chasing others and it led to to CV6 derrivatives and i will never step back to 6SN7. There is no need to take a backwards step!

I have tried GEC CV6 and GEC CV1135 (earlier version), Mullard CV6 White prints and Orange prints (Red Prints are on the way!), National Union 2C22, Kenrad and National Union 7193.

Now i think 7193 / 2c22 / DET 20 / VR135 / CV1135 are really all CV6 derrivatives. The designs apart from Hytron E1148 (Horizontal plates) are almost identical with small differences in plates, supports, micas etc. You can find all designs of c2cc in 7193, all designs of 7193 in CV6. In my opinion they all sound pretty similar with enough of a tuning to find your ideal. I find Orange prints more lively and slightly brighter presented than White prints. Kenrad 7193s i find to be utterly refined with a rolled off top end but no loss of details. I find the NU 7193 and 2C22's to sit inbetween. The GEC CV6 were dynamic with the CV1135 being a touch brighter.

I've currently settled with my personal favourite being Mullard CV6 White prints. But i would equally take the orange prints, or ANY of the mentioned tubes. All offer holographic presentation, all offer big dynamics, decent bass and make the headphone blend into the background. Instruments and sounds pop from an inky blackness and there is height as well as depth. 6SN7 for me most presented as rather flat, until the Tungsols. The CV6 gave me the qualities of TSBGOP with more to give! I think CV6 is a bargain in current day terms.

My setup is Cayin 300B mkII (Elrog 300B-MO, Mullard CV6 White Prints), Gustard R26 and Susvaras.

I have recently sold most of my derrivatives as im in such a happy place with the Mullards.

Im now investigating 6j5GT but im finding the prices and availability to be obscene! Can anyone recommend a good quad to knock my socks off? I'd like to try "the best of" and see how it compares to CV6. So please forum, advice would be hugely appreciated in the 6j5 world. I have began to read the forum "cover to cover" but would hugely appreciate the highlights!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #4,149 of 4,193
Ive first pursued 6SN7 for my Cayin 300b MkII. I settled at Tungsol Black Glass Oval Plates. Round plates were almost impossible to find as NOS and Melz 1578 equally as difficult and equally as expensive (My journey began around 12 months ago). SO i started chasing others and it led to to CV6 derrivatives and i will never step back to 6SN7. There is no need to take a backwards step!

I have tried GEC CV6 and GEC CV1135 (earlier version), Mullard CV6 White prints and Orange prints (Red Prints are on the way!), National Union 2C22, Kenrad and National Union 7193.

Now i think 7193 / 2c22 / DET 20 / VR135 / CV1135 are really all CV6 derrivatives. The designs apart from Hytron E1148 (Horizontal plates) are almost identical with small differences in plates, supports, micas etc. You can find all designs of c2cc in 7193, all designs of 7193 in CV6. In my opinion they all sound pretty similar with enough of a tuning to find your ideal. I find Orange prints more lively and slightly brighter presented than White prints. Kenrad 7193s i find to be utterly refined with a rolled off top end but no loss of details. I find the NU 7193 and 2C22's to sit inbetween. The GEC CV6 were dynamic with the CV1135 being a touch brighter.

I've currently settled with my personal favourite being Mullard CV6 White prints. But i would equally take the orange prints, or ANY of the mentioned tubes. All offer holographic presentation, all offer big dynamics, decent bass and make the headphone blens into the background. Instruments and sounds pop from an inky blackness and there is height as well as depth. 6SN7 for me most presented as rather flat, until the Tungsols. The CV6 gave me the qualities of TSBGOP with more to give! I think CV6 is a bargain in current day terms.

My setup is Cayin 300B mkII (Elrog 300B-MO, Mullard CV6 White Prints), Gustard R26 and Susvaras.

I have recently sold most of my derrivatives as im in such a happy place with the Mullards.

Im now investigating 6j5GT but im finding the prices and availability to be obscene! Can anyone recommend a good quad to knock my socks off? I'd like to try "the best of" and see how it compares to CV6. So please forum, advise would be hugely appreciated in the 6j5 world. I have began to read the forum "cover to cover" but would hugely appreciate the highlights!

Attachments

• pro-hHWpY3Td.jpeg
    pro-hHWpY3Td.jpeg
    732.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #4,150 of 4,193

I've currently settled with my personal favourite being Mullard CV6 White prints. But i would equally take the orange prints, or ANY of the mentioned tubes. All offer holographic presentation, all offer big dynamics, decent bass and make the headphone blend into the background. Instruments and sounds pop from an inky blackness and there is height as well as depth. 6SN7 for me most presented as rather flat, until the Tungsols. The CV6 gave me the qualities of TSBGOP with more to give! I think CV6 is a bargain in current day terms.

Im now investigating 6j5GT but im finding the prices and availability to be obscene! Can anyone recommend a good quad to knock my socks off? I'd like to try "the best of" and see how it compares to CV6. So please forum, advice would be hugely appreciated in the 6j5 world. I have began to read the forum "cover to cover" but would hugely appreciate the highlights!
Can't tell which are the best 6J5GT tubes but I can tell you which ones are very good and reasonable: Early 1950s tall tube metal base Sylvania (many rebranded exists) and Russian 6C2C.
1713115925597.png

1713116058545.png

To me among the best sounding is a National Union with top getter flash (other versions don't sound as good):
1713116191731.png

Another great sounding such tube is the GEC L63 straight glass or ST.
1713116330066.png

1713116428169.png

The GEC L63 comes under many names: GEC, Osram, MWT, Marconi etc.
Some people think that the Tung Sol ST type 6J5G is the best:
1713116602930.png

Some of these tubes are very overpriced - unless money is no object start with the first two.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #4,151 of 4,193
THank you so much! Finding anything NOS with metal bases is nigh on impossible. Lots to be found that are used testing at 70-85% but im used to finding CV6 well beyond their production values! The 6C2C i believe i have just picked up and have begun to audition. Nice tubes, I will give them a week and swap back to CV6. L63 are on my radar, which of those are best? I have even stumbled on a tung sol yet! Seem rather rare.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #4,152 of 4,193
I think the best 6J5 I've heard are Brimars, just the least expensive ones from Langrex. But they are still expensive. What really knocked me out as being good deals are the metal cans, the earlier the better.

I have a quad of Ken-Rad 6C5 (precursor to 6J5) from 1944 that are really quite something. They have that lovely warm Ken-Rad sound, but are much more balanced over the whole frequency range. I really think there is a benefit to the metal enclosure in terms of reducing noise and increasing clarity.

I also really like Raytheon 6J5WGT, for a more detailed sound while still retaining a touch of warmth in the bass and especially mids.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #4,153 of 4,193
Can't tell which are the best 6J5GT tubes but I can tell you which ones are very good and reasonable: Early 1950s tall tube metal base Sylvania (many rebranded exists) and Russian 6C2C.
1713115925597.png
1713116058545.png
To me among the best sounding is a National Union with top getter flash (other versions don't sound as good):
1713116191731.png
Another great sounding such tube is the GEC L63 straight glass or ST.
1713116330066.png
1713116428169.png
The GEC L63 comes under many names: GEC, Osram, MWT, Marconi etc.
Some people think that the Tung Sol ST type 6J5G is the best:
1713116602930.png
Some of these tubes are very overpriced - unless money is no object start with the first two.
Just thought of something - I am using an all metal 6C5 tube now that sounds very good and is really cheap: the 6C5. It has the same pinout as the 6J5GT and is very similar electrically.
1713117389183.png

Most of them are made by RCA. (Ken-Rad have good bass). If you buy them right you will get them very cheap. No tube glow but great sound!

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #4,154 of 4,193
Tubes last a very long time - what's wrong with a used tube? IMHO you cannot hear the difference between a NOS measuring tube and one that has 60% left of it's life. And I cannot remember wearing out a tube; those that failed shorted out or were dropped and broke...

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #4,155 of 4,193
I’m a total believer in the magic of the metal can 6J5GT. My favorite quad are late 1930’s GE that I found late last year- they looked almost brand new-

IMG_0756.jpeg

But of course if you’re fortunate enough to find the 6C5C you’ll love them as well!

IMG_0819.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back