The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Jul 13, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #3,197 of 4,200
I was told by Stevenvalve that GEC L63 is more neutral as compared to the more lucious and warmer Osram L63. He said that GEC bought over Marconi/Osram but for a time, they both continue making their own L63.

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #3,200 of 4,200
I was told by Stevenvalve that GEC L63 is more neutral as compared to the more lucious and warmer Osram L63. He said that GEC bought over Marconi/Osram but for a time, they both continue making their own L63.
If the construction is the same, then they are the same tubes no matter the multiple variety of Marconi/GEC/Osram stickers. Only the sickest most twisted individuals try and collect them all 🙂

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #3,201 of 4,200
If the constitution is the same, then they are the same tubes no matter the multiple variety of Marconi/GEC/Osram stickers. Only the sickest most twisted individuals try and collect them all 🙂
"Only the sickest most twisted individuals try and collect them all."
I don't agree with that statement at all! If you like something, wouldn't you want to have more of it?
Part of the thrill of tube rolling is to have different versions/years/makes of the same tube and pick out favorites or look for different flavors of sound.
And even if you don't listen to them at all, collecting and preserving pristine tubes for the future is a worthwhile goal as well.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #3,202 of 4,200
"Only the sickest most twisted individuals try and collect them all."
I don't agree with that statement at all! If you like something, wouldn't you want to have more of it?
Part of the thrill of tube rolling is to have different versions/years/makes of the same tube and pick out favorites or look for different flavors of sound.
And even if you don't listen to them at all, collecting and preserving pristine tubes for the future is a worthwhile goal as well.
Obviously my sarcasm is also sick and twisted.

Glad we think the same :) In my sick and twisted case though I have identical tubes with the same version/year/construction where the only difference is indeed the sticker.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #3,203 of 4,200
Obviously my sarcasm is also sick and twisted.

Glad we think the same :) In my sick and twisted case though I have identical tubes with the same version/year/construction where the only difference is indeed the sticker.
Well, I am sure that those tubes are worth more today than when you bought them - another motivation to buy...

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #3,204 of 4,200
I've been meaning to write a paragraph on the Tungsram 6J5G but can't seem to organize my thoughts. I guess the short version is they are excellent. I would describe them tonally as tube neutral, very balanced from top to bottom but not boring or dry. To my ears they sit right between a Tung-Sol VT94a and a Brimar 6J5G. These are top tier 6J5 for sure, with a very resolving and holographic presentation and great sense of speed and drive. They don't quite have the same bottom end shove as a Tung-Sol or Raytheon but the control is excellent. It's a nicely technical bass delivery, tactile and present but not bombastic. The only thing I personally dislike about them is that they are almost too clean sounding. One of the things I prize most is a very vivid and present note decay. To my ears it just seems to add more depth and layering to the music. Of course this is taste and genre dependent. That type of sound is ill suited to stuff like rock and metal, but it suits the types of music I listen to most. The Tungsram doesn't have what I would call a truncated or cut-off note decay, if anything it's just accurate and true to the recording; but I like a little "extra" in this department so that holds this tube back just a bit from being a favorite for me. :)

It's certainly hard to fault their technical chops though, this might be the most resolving of all the 6J5 I've heard and comes off as being transparent to source without adding much if any color of its own. If you can live with the high price they sell for they are an A class 6J5 in my opinion.

Are these British Tungsram? or Hungarian Tungsram?

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #3,206 of 4,200
If the construction is the same, then they are the same tubes no matter the multiple variety of Marconi/GEC/Osram stickers. Only the sickest most twisted individuals try and collect them all 🙂

We’re half sick. Not fully sick. So there is hope. Obviously they are not the same construction because Stevenvalve knows his tubes.

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #3,207 of 4,200
We’re half sick. Not fully sick. So there is hope. Obviously they are not the same construction because Stevenvalve knows his tubes.

Honestly at this point, tube collection is akin to stamp collection to me now, except I can use the tubes abit more :)

I enjoy reading and learning about tubes as well, just a fun hobby - and sometimes finding out about rarer samples not commonly talked about

I...just need a tube tester someday

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #3,208 of 4,200
Honestly at this point, tube collection is akin to stamp collection to me now, except I can use the tubes abit more :)

I enjoy reading and learning about tubes as well, just a fun hobby - and sometimes finding out about rarer samples not commonly talked about

I...just need a tube tester someday

Just tried GEC VR135 on recommendation from @Wes S . They are great drivers and still affordable. If you can use 6J5, should try it but need adapters.

Jul 14, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #3,209 of 4,200
Just tried GEC VR135 on recommendation from @Wes S . They are great drivers and still affordable. If you can use 6J5, should try it but need adapters.

If I do get them, I will need to get adapters for every quad I buy, just to lower the chances of accidents!

For now I am in my 37 (soon to be 137/237 globes) phase, I would love to try 45 globes someday too (aka the day I get an amp from Mischa!!)

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #3,210 of 4,200

Obviously they are not the same construction because Stevenvalve knows his tubes.

There's no build difference between an Osram and GEC L63 as they are the exact same tube from the exact same Brook Green works ; Hammersmith factory. As @leftside correctly noted; the only difference is the sticker that was stuck on it.
Branding a tube as it fit the marked was very common and at Marconi Osram Valve company; they had options :).

As can be found in "Saga of the vacuum tube" by Gerald FJ Tyne
"In 1919 the Marconi-Osram Valve Co. Ltd. was formed. This was a joint venture of Marconi’s Wireless Telegraph Co. Ltd. and General Electric Co. Ltd. (brand name Osram), each owning half the stock in the new company. About a year later the name was changed to The M.O. Valve Co. Ltd. “The inception of the present company ... is due to a combination of the experience of Marconi’s Wireless Telegraph Co. Ltd. and the General Electric Co. Ltd. Since the Marconi company never made any valves, we must conclude that their contribution was largely the use of their valve patents and their experience in the applications of valves. "

To those who are interested in some more history of vacuum tubes I highly recommend this book.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back