The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Jul 24, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #211 of 4,220
Jul 25, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #213 of 4,220
My 3 latest pairs and very likely the last tubes that I will be purchasing for a good while. Being away from my gear for so long has caused me to completely lose my internal refrence on tube sound vs solid state so I have no idea when I will actually get around to reviewing these.

National Union 6L5
IMG_20200725_175209.jpg

Brand New Hytron 6C5's (I am very happy I was able to find these they are some of my favorite tubes)
IMG_20200725_174909.jpg

Russian 6S5S (6C5)
IMG_20200725_174923.jpg

Jul 26, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #214 of 4,220
I haven't posted in a while because the GEC L63s have the WA22 sounding better than ever. Both with headphones and as a preamp, and not just because I'm an unrepentant Anglophile who has always wanted GEC valves in my system. Also baseball season is starting and I needed to dust off my fantasy team.

But enough about that, I wouldn't be in this thread if I could leave well enough alone so today I decided to revist the 6P5GTs that I found an little edgy previously with some more forgiving power tubes. And I'll be darned if they don't sound really good as well. Not the vividness or the sparkle of the L63s, but plenty of detail, lots of bass and the hard edge is gone. Very enjoyable and I think I'll keep them in the system for a while.

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #215 of 4,220
I haven't posted in a while because the GEC L63s have the WA22 sounding better than ever. Both with headphones and as a preamp, and not just because I'm an unrepentant Anglophile who has always wanted GEC valves in my system. Also baseball season is starting and I needed to dust off my fantasy team.

But enough about that, I wouldn't be in this thread if I could leave well enough alone so today I decided to revist the 6P5GTs that I found an little edgy previously with some more forgiving power tubes. And I'll be darned if they don't sound really good as well. Not the vividness or the sparkle of the L63s, but plenty of detail, lots of bass and the hard edge is gone. Very enjoyable and I think I'll keep them in the system for a while.
Glad you are loving the GECs. I have been largely stuck on those brown-base L63s for a few weeks. I have been rolling outputs with those fixed in the input sockets... I think you are using the same ones (pic'd below)?

(However, I am cheating on the 6J5s this weekend, with some 6J7s. I'm sure something for this thread will roll in ASAP!)

20200720_120501.jpg

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #216 of 4,220
Glad you are loving the GECs. I have been largely stuck on those brown-base L63s for a few weeks. I have been rolling outputs with those fixed in the input sockets... I think you are using the same ones (pic'd below)?

(However, I am cheating on the 6J5s this weekend, with some 6J7s. I'm sure something for this thread will roll in ASAP!)

Yes, those look familiar. Got them from our buddy Martin. Of course I use four and that makes them (by far) the most expensive driver tubes I have. I sort of wonder what I could get if I spent that much on a pair of high dollar famous label 6SN7s, but that wouldn't be GEC so I'm not going to find out. Thanks for turning me on to them, :beerchug: .

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #217 of 4,220
Yes, those look familiar. Got them from our buddy Martin. Of course I use four and that makes them (by far) the most expensive driver tubes I have. I sort of wonder what I could get if I spent that much on a pair of high dollar famous label 6SN7s, but that wouldn't be GEC so I'm not going to find out. Thanks for turning me on to them, :beerchug: .
GEC B65 are equivalent to 6SN7, but very expensive, and I find the GEC L63 to have the same qualities anyway. I liked the B65 a lot, but didn't want to use it because it was so expensive - and that led me to the L63/6J5. There is also the 12v version - the GEC B36.

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #218 of 4,220
GEC B65 are equivalent to 6SN7, but very expensive, and I find the GEC L63 to have the same qualities anyway. I liked the B65 a lot, but didn't want to use it because it was so expensive - and that led me to the L63/6J5. There is also the 12v version - the GEC B36.

Thanks. I thought I would check out the B36 for my phono stage. It is very expensive, the B65 is freaking nutz. I’ll stick with the L63.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #219 of 4,220
Not sure if these have been posted already, but it is one of the better from this family I think, the STC / Brimar 6J5G.

DSCF5762.jpg DSCF5764.jpg

They come in a few different plate and getter constructions with later models having black ribbed plates, gray ribbed plates, D getters. These are an earlier construction, perhaps the oldest, smooth black plates and foil getters. Right up there with the best of the 6J5G but can be a bit expensive, spacious, slightly warm perhaps, but very detailed.

DSCF5772.jpg

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #220 of 4,220
Not sure if these have been posted already, but it is one of the better from this family I think, the STC / Brimar 6J5G.

DSCF5762.jpg DSCF5764.jpg

They come in a few different plate and getter constructions with later models having black ribbed plates, gray ribbed plates, D getters. These are an earlier construction, perhaps the oldest, smooth black plates and foil getters. Right up there with the best of the 6J5G but can be a bit expensive, spacious, slightly warm perhaps, but very detailed.

DSCF5772.jpg

Thanks LG. Any thoughts on these (somewhat related 6C5G)? The plate structure is not visible due to the mesh and there are no markings on the base.

https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6c5g-brimar-stc-nos-valve-tube/

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #221 of 4,220
Thanks LG. Any thoughts on these (somewhat related 6C5G)? The plate structure is not visible due to the mesh and there are no markings on the base.

https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/6c5g-brimar-stc-nos-valve-tube/

Hey @GDuss - you are in luck, as I own both :) I have way too many tubes...

Here is the STC / Brimar 6C5G.

DSCF5773.jpg

Here is my best shot at the internal construction. The plate sits just behind the internal shield. Hard to make out in my photo, but this is really a converted 6J7G, there is a control grid and a screen grid internally with the screen connected to the plate. Essentially this is a triode strapped 6J7G without a top cap and no suppressor grid.

DSCF5774.jpg

Compare to the internal construction of a Brimar 6J7G. You can see they are quite similar.

acb0022a.jpg

This is an easy way to diversify your product catalog :)

In terms of sound, they are both very nice tubes, definitely worth trying, especially at that price. I think I prefer the 6J5G, a little more spacious and airy than the 6C5G, but also 4-5x the price.

DSCF5780.jpg

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #222 of 4,220
Hey @GDuss - you are in luck, as I own both :) I have way too many tubes...

Here is the STC / Brimar 6C5G.

DSCF5773.jpg

Here is my best shot at the internal construction. The plate sits just behind the internal shield. Hard to make out in my photo, but this is really a converted 6J7G, there is a control grid and a screen grid internally with the screen connected to the plate. Essentially this is a triode strapped 6J7G without a top cap and no suppressor grid.

DSCF5774.jpg

Compare to the internal construction of a Brimar 6J7G. You can see they are quite similar.

acb0022a.jpg

This is an easy way to diversify your product catalog :)

In terms of sound, they are both very nice tubes, definitely worth trying, especially at that price. I think I prefer the 6J5G, a little more spacious and airy than the 6C5G, but also 4-5x the price.

DSCF5780.jpg

I was in luck!!! Not only do you have them, you either already had photos or are quick on the draw with your camera :smile_phones:. I'm guessing the fact that they have 270 of those 6C5G's in stock keeps the price down. Sounds like these are worth checking out.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #223 of 4,220
I was in luck!!! Not only do you have them, you either already had photos or are quick on the draw with your camera :smile_phones:. I'm guessing the fact that they have 270 of those 6C5G's in stock keeps the price down. Sounds like these are worth checking out.

Just quick on the draw :wink: I have the day off, so I am home rolling some tubes and enjoying some music. Just so happens the Valve Museum had the perfect photo of the Brimar 6J7G ready for me, it was meant to be.

NOS Brimar 6C5G do seem to be pretty widely available in the UK. I purchased mine from Billington some time ago, in addition to some GEC branded Mullard 6C5G, I think I paid 15 GBP a tube! Yes, please, Martin.

DSCF5781.jpg

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #224 of 4,220
Just quick on the draw :wink: I have the day off, so I am home rolling some tubes and enjoying some music. Just so happens the Valve Museum had the perfect photo of the Brimar 6J7G ready for me, it was meant to be.

NOS Brimar 6C5G do seem to be pretty widely available in the UK. I purchased mine from Billington some time ago, in addition to some GEC branded Mullard 6C5G, I think I paid 15 GBP a tube! Yes, please, Martin.

DSCF5781.jpg
All beautiful tubes.
Your STC/ Brimars have that "101" on them. Any idea that that is? Been trying to identify the "NAPL 101" on the AnM 6J7G tubes (posted on the Glenn thread).

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #225 of 4,220
All beautiful tubes.
Your STC/ Brimars have that "101" on them. Any idea that that is? Been trying to identify the "NAPL 101" on the AnM 6J7G tubes (posted on the Glenn thread).

Hi Chris - not sure why the STC tubes have the "101" label, I haven't been able to find any information on it, sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back