The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Mar 17, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,291 of 4,191
So far I haven't found anything I like better than these. The Tung Sol VT-94's (ST-bottle) are a close second and I like the GEC L63's (with the right power tube), but I keep going back to these Hytrons. Dark gray (gun metal color) round plates, and yup they're 7A4's with a loctal base, so add another adapter to the pile. :laughing:

7A4 Hytron.jpg

7A4 Hytron B.jpg

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,292 of 4,191
So far I haven't found anything I like better than these. The Tung Sol VT-94's (ST-bottle) are a close second and I like the GEC L63's (with the right power tube), but I keep going back to these Hytrons. Dark gray (gun metal color) round plates, and yup they're 7A4's with a loctal base, so add another adapter to the pile. :laughing:

7A4 Hytron.jpg

7A4 Hytron B.jpg
Do you have a pair of the Sylvania grey roundplates I talked about in my first post the other day? I'd be curious if they and these Hytrons sound the same, or at least similar.

I have to confess I'm a little bummed because I thought the coke bottle Sylvanias were going to be a favorite going in and and at the moment I actually kind of find them to be unlistenable. But this is also why it's important to not make snap judgements either, more time could change things.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #1,293 of 4,191
Do you have a pair of the Sylvania grey roundplates I talked about in my first post the other day? I'd be curious if they and these Hytrons sound the same, or at least similar.

I have to confess I'm a little bummed because I thought the coke bottle Sylvanias were going to be a favorite going in and and at the moment I actually kind of find them to be unlistenable. But this is also why it's important to not make snap judgements either, more time could change things.
FYG; the tubes I keep coming back to in this tube family are; Fivre 6C5G, Mullard 6J5G, STC/Brimar 6C5G, GEC 6J5G, GEC L63 (ST style), Fivre 6J5GT, KenRad 76 (coke bottle style). I'm not in love with any Sylvanias or Hytrons, although all are fine (certainly not unlistenable). I like the RCA and KenRad tin can style enough too but I am perhaps visually biased to glow-style. In other news, I keep trying to like any 6P5* and can't come across any that I love.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #1,294 of 4,191
The only 6P5* tubes I found that were better than meh for me were Sylvania JAN 6P5GTs with black bases and bad boy plates. I basically got them out of some guys tube dumpster and they were pretty good. All the pretty 6P5Gs with engraved bases looked better than they sounded.

Now, if you like the 76 you might really like the 37. I haven't been contributing much here lately because once I found 4 37s that were quiet and worked together I haven't changed them out in months. Liquid bordering on lush, but with plenty of air and detail and Goldilocks bass that isn't too heavy or too light, but is just right.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #1,295 of 4,191
Do you have a pair of the Sylvania grey roundplates I talked about in my first post the other day? I'd be curious if they and these Hytrons sound the same, or at least similar...

Sylvania made virtually all the loctal tubes, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were the same.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #1,296 of 4,191
FYG; the tubes I keep coming back to in this tube family are; Fivre 6C5G, Mullard 6J5G, STC/Brimar 6C5G, GEC 6J5G, GEC L63 (ST style), Fivre 6J5GT, KenRad 76 (coke bottle style). I'm not in love with any Sylvanias or Hytrons, although all are fine (certainly not unlistenable). I like the RCA and KenRad tin can style enough too but I am perhaps visually biased to glow-style. In other news, I keep trying to like any 6P5* and can't come across any that I love.
These particular Hytrons surprised me. Sat in the tub for a couple years due to a rather meh experience with some CBS/Hytrons, and on a whim I pulled them out. The CBS versions have shiny black plates and while not a bad tube at all, they were certainly nothing special. These Hytron (no CBS) 7A4's are a different animal altogether. Now I don't have any of the tubes you mentioned in your first sentence (my L63's are straight bottle), so perhaps I'm just happily living in ignorance. :laughing:

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #1,297 of 4,191
Sylvania made virtually all the loctal tubes, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were the same.
I agree. Sylvania was a big promoter of the loctal format but others didn't want to get on board. I personally haven't heard any of the loctal tubes so what I was getting at with my comment was whether or not the loctals sound similar to their 6SN7 counterparts, similar the 6J5 (which it turns out is quite a bit different from many of their 6SN7s), or possibly their own thing all together.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #1,298 of 4,191

I know I have a pair of round plate Sylvania 7A4's, but don't remember if they're black or gray plates. I'll have to check and give them a head-to-head if I do. I think @CAJames is right on the Sylvania manufacture part -- if these are like the 7N7's, then (as best I can tell) Sylvania and National Union were the only two manufacturers.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #1,299 of 4,191
These particular Hytrons surprised me. Sat in the tub for a couple years due to a rather meh experience with some CBS/Hytrons, and on a whim I pulled them out. The CBS versions have shiny black plates and while not a bad tube at all, they were certainly nothing special. These Hytron (no CBS) 7A4's are a different animal altogether. Now I don't have any of the tubes you mentioned in your first sentence (my L63's are straight bottle), so perhaps I'm just happily living in ignorance. :laughing:
My hunch would be that the older ones branded CBS/Hytron are actually that brand and the later ones were re-branded Sylvanias. CBS/Hytron tubes often have very glossy black plates that make them look a bit unique, or at least the ones I have personally laid eyes on have.

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,300 of 4,191
I'm looking at Langrex Fivre 6c5g straight glass.

Has anyone compared them to the retro glass GEC L63 and the Tung-Sol 6j5g bottle of coca and can supply the presses?

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,301 of 4,191
I agree. Sylvania was a big promoter of the loctal format but others didn't want to get on board. I personally haven't heard any of the loctal tubes so what I was getting at with my comment was whether or not the loctals sound similar to their 6SN7 counterparts, similar the 6J5 (which it turns out is quite a bit different from many of their 6SN7s), or possibly their own thing all together.

7N7s (the loctal 6SN7) was my daily driver until I discovered the single triodes (I blame @chrisdrop, as usual). And my experience is the loctals sound very much like the octal equivalents. Or at least the difference in the base isn't any bigger than the differences between different examples of the same tube.

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,302 of 4,191
An update and final impression on the Sylvania 6J5G engraved base. They did settle down quite a bit with some additional run time, but there is still substantially more treble energy than what I prefer and I believe that's going to be the character of the tube. I think it's really more fair to say they are just not a good match for the DT880s. These tubes are adding energy in exactly the same place where the infamous Beyer treble peak lives and it's just too much. With a more mellow headphone I could see this being a really nice sounding tube, it's just too peaky in this particular pairing.

As to the good? They throw what might be the largest soundstage I've ever heard come from this amp and headphone. Very impressive. It's also a dynamic tube. Beyond the sparkly treble it really has robust energy pretty much everywhere and just presents a big happy sound all around. Nice bass slam, very quick transients. I can see why some people love this tube. I commented previous that the other Sylvanias I've tested so far didn't really sound like Sylvania tubes to me. This was very much does. It's absolutely the Sylvania house sound, only turned up to 11 in intensity. V shaped in a fun happy way and very reminiscent of the Sylvania 6SN7W tubes. I don't want to be negative on the tube because it's actually pretty impressive in its presentation, it just doesn't match my personal preferences all that well. I think 10 years ago it might have, but that was then.

I bet with a different headphone like the LCD-3 this tube would be totally in its element.

Next up: the comparison between the two Raytheons. I think I'll start with the ladder plate and then run the round plate second. Will they sound the same or different? Tune in next week to find out. :p

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #1,303 of 4,191
Seems the LCD-3 Pre-Fazor would be perfect....it is a great headphone, very engaging sound with meat on the bones :)

That will be interesting...ladder and round plates....I seem to like most any round plates.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,304 of 4,191
I'm looking at Langrex Fivre 6c5g straight glass.

Has anyone compared them to the retro glass GEC L63 and the Tung-Sol 6j5g bottle of coca and can supply the presses?
I have the GEC L63 of various shapes and those Fivres on the way. In a week or so I should be able to post.

FWIW I still really like the GEC L63 brown base GT style tubes, which seem to be more readily available and not crazily priced. I sometimes like them as much or more than my 1940s GEC 6J5Gs even. That may not be a popular opinion but it is where I am.

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #1,305 of 4,191
I'm saving the GEC L63 straight glass for last, mostly because it's something of a known quantity. I'd be VERY surprised if I didn't like it.

Next week I'll do the head to head ladder plate / round plate Raytheon comparison. Given that both tubes are more or less identical right down to age and date codes with the plate style being the only differentiator I think this offers a fairly controlled opportunity to explore the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back