The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Feb 12, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,231 of 4,222
Interesting looking Fivres

6C5G-FIVRE-BLACK.jpg

I don't know. Those look like vacuum tubes, not Spumante bottles. Not what I want from Fivre. YMMV of course...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,232 of 4,222
I don't know. Those look like vacuum tubes, not Spumante bottles. Not what I want from Fivre. YMMV of course...
Oh how I need another holiday in Italy... Here are some Spumante bottles for ya. La musica è amore!
20210212_185801.jpg

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #1,234 of 4,222
Bellissima! Ironically we wanted to holiday in the UK last summer...
Nice 1000th post BTW. :beerchug:
High-quality-ears always welcome for a visit. WTIAO - visit. Sadly, collaborative headphone listening isn't the most social is it... But - I can eat at a helluva restaurant (you wouldn't want my cooking)!

Relatedly, my wife had flights and a trip to CA planned last spring (Chico & SF), but ... thou shalt do nothing in 2020-202?.

#holidayswap

On another note; those Fivres helping listen to Tipper @ CoSM. Here is a crazy video of the session. It is sort of insane ambient music, but it is made well for nice headphone kit...

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,238 of 4,222
I am interested in a pair of zenith 6j5g.

The seller placed the following description:

"Up for sale are two (2) No 6J5G Zenith ST shape vintage vacuum tubes.
Those vacuum tubes were made in USA as indicated on the tube.
I tested tubes on my trusty Triplett tube tester, which shows it strong and in new condition.

Why buy untested tubes? We test all tubes we sell!

Save !!! - we will combine shipping!

Tubes: Two (2) No 6J5G Zenith vintage vacuum tubes, made US
booth are black smooth plates, printed base,
bottom side foil getters, tubes test: 72, 72%
Tubes did not have original boxes, I assume them a used.
Price is for all tubes pictured. "

Are they good tubes, according to the reported measurements?

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #1,239 of 4,222
Picked these up last week from eBay. Had to reinstall my DV's cathode bypass caps to listen to them w/o huge unstoppable hum, but now they sound really quite nice:

IMG_0899.jpg

Super Silvertone 6L5G

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #1,240 of 4,222
Well after a long wait, my package from Martin arrived today! Lots of goodies inside, some British L63 and plenty of affordable American 6J5/6C5. Excited to try them all, but these Fivre 76 took precedence. Not too much time to listen tonight, however first impression is that these are extremely good sounding tubes- not to mention they are possibly the most beautiful tubes I now own! Plenty of warm yet well-controlled bass, singing mids, balanced treble. Good technique and detail wrapped in a really expansive, airy presentation. These give me a strong urge to look for more Fivre, as well as more type 76 tubes! :)

fivre76.pngfivre5.png
Just wanted to add that those beautiful labels with dates on them aren't manufacturing dates. Instead, these labels are tax exemption labels from the Italian government with the batch dates of the tax exemption stamps.
Apparently certain electronic items were taxed during the war era and these tubes needed an exemption to promote their use, perhaps in consumer radios.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #1,241 of 4,222
I am interested in a pair of zenith 6j5g.

The seller placed the following description:

"Up for sale are two (2) No 6J5G Zenith ST shape vintage vacuum tubes.
Those vacuum tubes were made in USA as indicated on the tube.
I tested tubes on my trusty Triplett tube tester, which shows it strong and in new condition.

Why buy untested tubes? We test all tubes we sell!

Save !!! - we will combine shipping!

Tubes: Two (2) No 6J5G Zenith vintage vacuum tubes, made US
booth are black smooth plates, printed base,
bottom side foil getters, tubes test: 72, 72%
Tubes did not have original boxes, I assume them a used.
Price is for all tubes pictured. "

Are they good tubes, according to the reported measurements?
At 72%? No. Most testers use ~60% of average NOS value as a minimum value, so those tubes have a lot of use on them. "Strong" is a subjective term, but "new" isn't, and those aren't.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #1,244 of 4,222
MR places them in the WWII timeframe. Very neat tubes.
Just in case somebody does not know this: MR means Manufacturers Replacement and appear on US tubes made between 1942 and 1945 during WW2. Vacuum tubes were rationed since most tube production went for military use, but a certain proportion was marked MR for civilian replacement use.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #1,245 of 4,222
At 72%? No. Most testers use ~60% of average NOS value as a minimum value, so those tubes have a lot of use on them. "Strong" is a subjective term, but "new" isn't, and those aren't.

I'll be happy to let you go then.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back