The quest for a 300€ pair of closed, full-sized, sub-bass capable headphones for all genres of music
Mar 7, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 29
You make a good point about the TH 600. Their frequency response graph follows quite closely that of the M-100, perhaps just a tad bit warmer in the upper bass. I know frequency charts aren't all. To me, they just give a rough idea and don't take into account things like soundstage, speed, precision, texture, etc. So I might as well listen to them if I like the overall response of the M-100 (that I'm about to try in a couple hours 
L3000.gif
) but find them lacking nonetheless.

Those TH 600, I'd have to hunt for them at a decent price though cause brand new they're selling for 750 €. I have strong doubts any pair of headphones are actually worth that much in the real world. I mean, come on...
basshead.gif

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #17 of 29
  You make a good point about the TH 600. Their frequency response graph follows quite closely that of the M-100, perhaps just a tad bit warmer in the upper bass. I know frequency charts aren't all. To me, they just give a rough idea and don't take into account things like soundstage, speed, precision, texture, etc. So I might as well listen to them if I like the overall response of the M-100 (that I'm about to try in a couple hours 
L3000.gif
) but find them lacking nonetheless.

Those TH 600, I'd have to hunt for them at a decent price though cause brand new they're selling for 750 €. I have strong doubts any pair of headphones are actually worth that much in the real world. I mean, come on...
basshead.gif

I think they are worth listening to. Where do you live?

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 29

I think they are worth listening to. Where do you live?

I live in France at the moment.

I have the M-100 on my head right now. Been trying them for the last 20 minutes. They're quite pleasant overall, very easy to listen to, strong bass for sure. I understand now why they're called bass-heads HP 
L3000.gif

Not sure they kick as fast and hard as the D600 though. Highs a bit lacking but veeeeery smooth. I'm giving them a slight boost with a parametric eq at about 6 kHz to give them some air and it's very nice. I'll post more impressions after several hours of listening.

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #19 of 29
Seems you can get TH600 for arround 650€ in france. From your description I really think you would like them, is it possible for you to try them out somewhere?

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #20 of 29
I've been through the list of official retailers and there are simply none at all in my region. The closest one would be 250 km away.
I might try them through Amazon once again. I must admit I'm a bit concerned they end up refusing a return or something, considering the number of products I've already returned. They're legally bound not to ask questions about it (at least in France for the first 14 days after delivery), but still...

The M-100 are burning in nicely. The highs have considerably opened up and I have disabled the slight EQ treble boost.

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #21 of 29
  I've been through the list of official retailers and there are simply none at all in my region. The closest one would be 250 km away.
I might try them through Amazon once again. I must admit I'm a bit concerned they end up refusing a return or something, considering the number of products I've already returned. They're legally bound not to ask questions about it (at least in France for the first 14 days after delivery), but still...

The M-100 are burning in nicely. The highs have considerably opened up and I have disabled the slight EQ treble boost.

If you are happy with your M100 then there's no need to go for the TH600 just yet then :) I would recommend XL pads for them though.

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #22 of 29
Yep, I wrote down the TH 600 suggestion and I'll do my best to demo them sometime. I have friends living near that 250 km away store, so next time I visit them I'll take the opportunity to go to that store.

But for the moment, I need to try those M-100 a bit more... it already seems though, for the first time, that I might keep these.

I'm having that big stupid grin on my face right now. Just tried to listen to The Prodigy - Breathe (not my favourite genre, but once in a while I do really enjoy some hard EDM) and when the bass kicked in I just burst out laughing out loud... it was absolutely fantastic
beyersmile.png

I've tried several other genres already, in no particular order (feel free to puke at anytime of course) :

Miles Davis - Ballads & Blues
Toto
Diana Krall - The girl in the other room
Metallica (the old stuff)
Charles Aznavour
France Gall
Alanis Morissette
Phil Collins
some "technical & brutal death metal" Spotify playlist - very enjoyable actually, not harsh, just fun and rhythmic
Max Romeo
Lee Scratch Perry
The Heptones
Groundation
I Love Makonnen
Benjamin Clementine
Eric Clapton Unplugged (his only album I like) - the sound and actual feel of his foot taping rhythmically to the floor ! Really cool... guitar plucks blending in nicely, detailed yet smooth.
Fiona Apple (Extraordinary Machine, the first original version, what a good album)
AC/DC

Well, so far the M-100 have been good the whole time...
Epic bass of course, deep, clean and smooth, and the rest of the spectrum is very clean too, really, no spill, detailed, and it has a *very* good vocal presence IMHO for a supposedly v-shaped HP (way better than Denon D600).

My, those are good headphones...
Only 3-4 hours listening time alright... So take this with a pinch of salt
wink_face.gif

Only downsides at the moment are the stock cable which I wouldn't even have dared to suggest including in the package had I been a V-Moda's decision maker, and the stock pads that are too small. My ears touch the drivers and it's becoming painful. Still, they're more comfortable than the Focal Spirit Classic. If I keep these, for sure I'll get the XL pads and the coiled cable.

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #23 of 29
But for the moment, I need to try those M-100 a bit more... it already seems though, for the first time, that I might keep these.

I'm having that big stupid grin of my face right now.

Good. Now keep telling yourself how good they are, and you'll be happy. Expectation bias, you know? :)

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #24 of 29
Well I have been listening to the V-100 for 3 days now and I am really happy with their sound signature. I tried them with more different styles, including classical and baroque music and they were just as great. Sound wise, this is exactly what I was looking for.

But I am sad to admit that they are appallingly uncomfortable. The main issues are that the opening in the pads are so small that they rest partly on my ears rather than around it, and parts of the ears touch the "inside stitched edge", which is ultra hard. From the information I gathered, I don't think the opening in the XL pads is much larger and will accommodate my ears either without them being bruised by the stitchings. I tried various tricks like the paper towel stuffing, wearing them lower, bending the headband backwards to decrease the clamping force... it doesn't change anything.

So I'm starting to think that I will sadly have to return them, but not before I find a replacement 
wink_face.gif
We've talked about the Fostex TH600. I don't think I want to shell out that kind of money just now. Besides, on french Amazon, it is sold by japanese sellers only and I want to avoid that. On french stores, they cost even more.

I came across the Shure SRH750DJ, whose frequency chart looks similar to the V-100, come with a proper cable, and they're a third of the price too. As anyone had any experience with those and can compare with the V-Moda, comfort and sound wise ? Or am I totally delusional about the SQ you can get for 100 € ?
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #26 of 29
The Sony's a tad too expensive for now. Also I doubt they produce loud enough lows for my taste.

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #27 of 29
Hi,

Just thought I'd post a (wordy) follow-up to the thread I started some time ago.

I've been having a love/hate relationship with the V-Moda M-100. Sound-wise I've been enjoying it very much for the last 6 weeks. It's a very fun pair, but the comfort remains an issue (on my head at least, I know some head-fiers have no problem with it). Actually it does feel snug and comfy the moment you put them on... then after like 2 hours, it suddenly starts aching quite badly and there's no coming back for the rest of the day.
Also, since I plugged it in a Schiit Asgard 2, I noticed the sound signature changed quite a bit. The whole low range is now stronger, including the upper bass... and in all honesty it's now a bit too much for my taste. It sounds actually darker now with the HP amp. Not less good at all, but just too dark for me I guess, and thus less versatile with the HP amp. Probably because its true hardcore basshead nature is now fully revealed. That also shows how good a performer the M-100 is, just plugged on any device without amp (what it's been designed for), because it was already properly bassy then, and loads of fun.

While making all this critical listening sessions I also noticed my ears becoming way sharper, my brain more analytical... quite awesome really, so that might have helped hearing those little changes that came with the Asgard 2. I doubt I'd have noticed it 6 months ago.

Anyway, I've been bitten by the "wanna try more gear" bug like most head-fiers and decided to give a shot to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 ohms version. Man... what a slam in the face... That's exactly what I wanted from the start
basshead.gif

I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often in the basshead threads, because it is very able in the lows. Actually it goes lower than the M-100, almost as phat (but not as rumbling though) as the Denon D600 did, but with a way more balanced sound. The highs are much clearer than the M-100, while never being fatiguing and metallic like they were on the D600. The second I put them on I felt "Finally, headphones that reproduce sound the way I hear it in reality"... Know what I mean... it just sounds so natural.
Mid-bass and upper-bass is a bit quieter than the M-100, but like I said it extends lower and overall feels just like warm syrupy cocoa being gently poured in my ears
dt880smile.png

And then there's the comfort. Compared to the M-100, it's like a La-Z-boy recliner for ears. Not perfect (the pads could definitely be deeper), but almost.

Still, with all that listening training I did, I am able now to hear that the DT 770 is not perfect either. I can hear it is, overall, a bit blurry, like there could be a better instrument separation (I know understand what that means), it could be more precise. Not that non hi-fi enthusiasts would notice it though ! But then, for now I wouldn't dare trading that frequency response for anything else. So I'm a happy camper for now... until next purchase of course !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back