The Qudelix-5K thread
Sep 3, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #4,186 of 4,753
Hi all,

I just wanted to share this hoping it would help other iOS users. I’ve been using the Q5 and a bunch of other portable DACs mostly with Android devices and iPads. I also have a microUSB - to lightning cable but it a subclass-to-lightning, so I’ve been looking for some decent options. I came across this little, cheap adapter on Amazon and despite some reviewers not having luck with it I decided to give it a try. At 2 for CAD $11 it’s hard to go wrong. I just got the package earlier today and to my stupefaction, it works well with everything I threw at it so far, Q5 with its in-box cable, Chord Mojo1 with microUSB-to-usbC , iBasso DC1 usbC dongle, Xduo Link usbC dongle, a few usbC earbuds…

I have not tried the Qudelix iOS app as right now I have the Q5 BT paired with my Android phone, but the Android app does show when the iPhone volume is being adjusted over the cable connection… The only issue I see so far is I cannot control the apps on the iPhone with Q5, play/pause, next/previous don’t seem to work (they do work with other dongles and usbC headsets, but I can leave it it…

iPhone OTG Adapter Headphone Dongle USB C Female to Lightning Male Charger Data Sync Converter(2Pack)Type-c Camera Card Reader Flash Drive Mouse Keyboard for Apple 14 13 11 12 Pro Max Xr X Xs 8 7 Plus https://a.co/d/0PaIYV0

I hope this helps…

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpeg
    IMG_0654.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0653.jpeg
    IMG_0653.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 3, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #4,187 of 4,753
Hi all,

I just wanted to share this hoping it would help other iOS users. I’ve been using the Q5 and a bunch of other portable DACs mostly with Android devices and iPads. I also have a microUSB - to lightning cable but it a subclass-to-lightning, so I’ve been looking for some decent options. I came across this little, cheap adapter on Amazon and despite some reviewers not having luck with it I decided to give it a try. At 2 for CAD $11 it’s hard to go wrong. I just got the package earlier today and to my stupefaction, it works well with everything I threw at it so far, Q5 with its in-box cable, Chord Mojo1 with microUSB-to-usbC , iBasso DC1 usbC dongle, Xduo Link usbC dongle, a few usbC earbuds…

I have not tried the Qudelix iOS app as right now I have the Q5 BT paired with my Android phone, but the Android app does show when the iPhone volume is being adjusted over the cable connection… The only issue I see so far is I cannot control the apps on the iPhone with Q5, play/pause, next/previous don’t seem to work (they do work with other dongles and usbC headsets, but I can leave it it…

iPhone OTG Adapter Headphone Dongle USB C Female to Lightning Male Charger Data Sync Converter(2Pack)Type-c Camera Card Reader Flash Drive Mouse Keyboard for Apple 14 13 11 12 Pro Max Xr X Xs 8 7 Plus https://a.co/d/0PaIYV0

I hope this helps…

I don't know if you are aware of it, but the 5K can be connected to 2 BT devices at the same time, i.e. it supports the so-called multipoint
(for example, I connect it to iPhone and Android at the same time).

As for the IOS app, it only works if the iPhone is connected via BT, not via cable.

Sep 3, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #4,188 of 4,753
Well, I'm on board with the T71. Purchased. I've never heard the 5K, since right before it came out I had just bought the EarStudio ES100 MK2. But I'm familiar with its reputation. I recently bought the Chord Mojo 2 and while I like it, I'm thinking the 1% improvement in sound quality I hear over stuff like the Topping DX1, probably isn't worth the $775 I paid for it. I have a couple other minor issues with it as well. If I get the T71 quickly enough I might be able to compare them before my return window on the Mojo 2 closes. I'm a gamer, so the surround features of the T71 are intriguing, but I really don't know how much of a difference they'll make in practice.

Sep 4, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #4,189 of 4,753
Well, I'm on board with the T71. Purchased. I've never heard the 5K, since right before it came out I had just bought the EarStudio ES100 MK2. But I'm familiar with its reputation. I recently bought the Chord Mojo 2 and while I like it, I'm thinking the 1% improvement in sound quality I hear over stuff like the Topping DX1, probably isn't worth the $775 I paid for it. I have a couple other minor issues with it as well. If I get the T71 quickly enough I might be able to compare them before my return window on the Mojo 2 closes. I'm a gamer, so the surround features of the T71 are intriguing, but I really don't know how much of a difference they'll make in practice.
Well I for one am super interested in your take. I liked the first Mojo but didn’t find it did enough to justify the price tag. Haven’t heard the Mojo 2. Curious what it does for gaming too, what hp/iems will you be using with it?

The global proposition of the T71 once the specially designed iems come out is fascinating. On a tablet with a nice screen, and with the Game Pass now supporting Geforce Now, you basically get a complete high-end PC gaming experience in mobile format, and now with 5.1 or even 7.1 true surround sound thanks to Qudelix.

Sep 4, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #4,190 of 4,753
I don't know if you are aware of it, but the 5K can be connected to 2 BT devices at the same time, i.e. it supports the so-called multipoint
(for example, I connect it to iPhone and Android at the same time).

As for the IOS app, it only works if the iPhone is connected via BT, not via cable.
My bad on the iOS app connectivity, you’re right, I should have known that, lol. I know Q5 can connect to 2 devices over BT but with iOS devices you can only get lossless audio over cable so I don’t even bother BT pairing it with iPhone. Until now I was using the Q5 only with Android and iPads with usbC…

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #4,191 of 4,753
My bad on the iOS app connectivity, you’re right, I should have known that, lol. I know Q5 can connect to 2 devices over BT but with iOS devices you can only get lossless audio over cable so I don’t even bother BT pairing it with iPhone. Until now I was using the Q5 only with Android and iPads with usbC…

Well, you can connect it with iPhone via cable and BT at the same time, and set the input audio priority to USB,
using the BT with the app only to control the device.
It should work as you need.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #4,192 of 4,753
Well, you can connect it with iPhone via cable and BT at the same time, and set the input audio priority to USB,

It works the opposite way as well. Listening through BT and adjusting parameters with the USB Chrome app, which is kinda cool and useful for playing around with settings.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #4,194 of 4,753
I know, I connect it over BT to Android (using LDAC hi-res codec) and now to iPhone using the included usbC-usbC cable and this adapter. I prefer this adapter to usbC-Lightning or microUSB-Lightning cables first because of the low cost and second because I can use the adapter with other applications, like DACs that have built-in usbC cable such as XDUOO Link, iBasso DC01, Hidizs Sonata…

Sep 5, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #4,195 of 4,753
Hopefully someone can put my mind to ease ... I had my OUTPUT MODE SELECTION set to balanced 2.5mm from using my previous balanced headphones (hd6xx) and a buddy of mine plugged in a pair of unbalanced headphones (dt 900 pro x) into the 3.5mm jack and was testing it out for a few minutes and said they sounded muffled and weird ... I quickly realized the Qudelix 5k was still set at 2.5mm and not 3.5mm in the settings. Obviously setting it to the correct setting fixed the sound issue but is there any chance he possibly damaged my amp or the 900s by having the setting wrong?

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #4,196 of 4,753
Hopefully someone can put my mind to ease ... I had my OUTPUT MODE SELECTION set to balanced 2.5mm from using my previous balanced headphones (hd6xx) and a buddy of mine plugged in a pair of unbalanced headphones (dt 900 pro x) into the 3.5mm jack and was testing it out for a few minutes and said they sounded muffled and weird ... I quickly realized the Qudelix 5k was still set at 2.5mm and not 3.5mm in the settings. Obviously setting it to the correct setting fixed the sound issue but is there any chance he possibly damaged my amp or the 900s by having the setting wrong?

Thanks!
Pretty sure that this doesn't make any damage. Just leave It on auto and you won't get that problem again.

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #4,197 of 4,753
Is anyone finding their 5K is randomly re-enabling their DSP and previous volume setting even without changing the headphone, rebooting the device, etc.? Second time this week I've had this inexplicably happen to me.

Sep 6, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #4,198 of 4,753
I haven't noticed that behavior but mine has switched back to HIGH power a couple of times. it doesn't do it every time I power it on so I'm not sure what's up.

It did it last night but I fixed the settings and put on George Benson's "The Ghetto" and entirely forgot about the imperfection. My Gawd. So good!

Sep 6, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #4,199 of 4,753
I wonder what is the reason for such option unless it's for when two wired headsets are connected at the same time... I have mine set to auto, I switch between balanced and regular headphones all the time. Is there any benefit for manually setting it on 3.5 or 2.5 instead?

Sep 7, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #4,200 of 4,753
Is anyone finding their 5K is randomly re-enabling their DSP and previous volume setting even without changing the headphone, rebooting the device, etc.? Second time this week I've had this inexplicably happen to me.
I find that when it occasionally becomes buggy the best way to deal with it is using the "System Reset" option under the main Device tab. Otherwise it never seems to properly turn off completely for something like clearing memory/cache type of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back