The Qudelix-5K thread
Jul 29, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #3,391 of 4,753
Hi guys, I'm looking at buying the Qudelix because of the parametric EQ functionality but I have zero experience with using parametric EQ. My source is an iphone.

Is it as simple as selecting my headphone from a drop-down list and the Qudelix will load the optimal EQ profile? Or do I need to do a lot of manual tweaking?
It won't automatically load an optimal eq, there really is no such thing thing as it's subjective. There is a bunch of presets to choose from as well as a list of auto eq presets.

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #3,392 of 4,753
Hi guys, I'm looking at buying the Qudelix because of the parametric EQ functionality but I have zero experience with using parametric EQ. My source is an iphone.

Is it as simple as selecting my headphone from a drop-down list and the Qudelix will load the optimal EQ profile? Or do I need to do a lot of manual tweaking?

As others have said, you can do both.

I'd recommend checking Oratory1990's list on Reddit for your headphones. The PDFs are different to the AutoEQ options (every one I've seen uses a low shelf, for example), and often recommend 2 or 3 bands to help adjust to taste.

Only trouble with those is that you have to manually input, although I've found it pretty easy to do on the Chrome desktop app. If you do them by column - all the frequencies, then all the gains, then all the Qs - type the number, press enter and you can start typing the next number with no awkward clicking. I find it much better than doing it on a phone, but I hate any sort of data input on a mobile device.

Jul 30, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #3,393 of 4,753
Just starting to use Qudelix 5K streaming YT Music over home wifi and noticed when I switch from BT to USB DAC (connecting directly to Samsung S22 via USB cable) 5K app often quickly shows connection as USB but then defaults to BT. Even worse, sometimes when I disconnect, restart phone and attach USB cable to S22, it will show input as BT on 5K app! I have USB DAC set as “Priority” in “Input Source Priority” in 5K app which should prevent this but it obviously is not working most of the time. I turned on "Disable USB Routing" in "Developer Options" to see if that would fix issue but that did not work. I swapped out the supplied USB cable with another OTG cable I had but that did not help either.

When connection is active for BT:
BT Active_Qudelix.jpg

When connected via cable to Samsung S22 and recognized as connected:

USB DAC active_Qudelix.jpg

Any ideas why 5K will not always recognize that it is directly connected to S22 via USB?? Very frustrating 😡
I could always manually turn off BT on my phone but I shouldn't have to.
TIA!

Phone Settings:

Settings in S22 Developer Options are 96 Khz sample rate, 24 bits/sample, Codec is set for "Optimized for Audio (990kbps/909kbps)". However, when I restart phone, settings switch from 24 bit to 32 and codec setting has changed from "Optimized for Audio" to "Best Effort" (Adaptive Bit Rate). Not sure why the settings I choose get changed when restarting. Also, sometimes when restarting phone, bit rate on 5K app is listed at 330 even though phone and 5K app are still set at 990.
Developer Options_Settings.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #3,394 of 4,753
Just starting to use Qudelix 5K streaming YT Music over home wifi and noticed when I switch from BT to USB DAC (connecting directly to Samsung S22 via USB cable) 5K app often quickly shows connection as USB but then defaults to BT. Even worse, sometimes when I disconnect, restart phone and attach USB cable to S22, it will show input as BT on 5K app! I have USB DAC set as “Priority” in “Input Source Priority” in 5K app which should prevent this but it obviously is not working most of the time. I turned on "Disable USB Routing" in "Developer Options" to see if that would fix issue but that did not work. I swapped out the supplied USB cable with another OTG cable I had but that did not help either.

When connection is active for BT:
BT Active_Qudelix.jpg

When connected via cable to Samsung S22 and recognized as connected:

USB DAC active_Qudelix.jpg

Any ideas why 5K will not always recognize that it is directly connected to S22 via USB?? Very frustrating 😡
I could always manually turn off BT on my phone but I shouldn't have to.
TIA!

Phone Settings:

Settings in S22 Developer Options are 96 Khz sample rate, 24 bits/sample, Codec is set for "Optimized for Audio (990kbps/909kbps)". However, when I restart phone, settings switch from 24 bit to 32 and codec setting has changed from "Optimized for Audio" to "Best Effort" (Adaptive Bit Rate). Not sure why the settings I choose get changed when restarting. Also, sometimes when restarting phone, bit rate on 5K app is listed at 330 even though phone and 5K app are still set at 990.
Developer Options_Settings.jpg
Hi.
The phone controls the output not Q5k. Source priority works in case of different devices connected to Q5k.
As you asked that question also on Qudelix forum then check the answer there - I linked you Qudelix support answer in one of previous similar posts...

Jul 31, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #3,395 of 4,753
Hi.
The phone controls the output not Q5k. Source priority works in case of different devices connected to Q5k.
As you asked that question also on Qudelix forum then check the answer there - I linked you Qudelix support answer in one of previous similar posts...
Thanks; link was very helpful. Unfortunately, I have not found a setting in Samsung S22 settings that reliably works.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #3,396 of 4,753
Thanks; link was very helpful. Unfortunately, I have not found a setting in Samsung S22 settings that reliably works.
There is a new functionality in Android 12 - "Separate app sound" (in Sound and Vibration settings) that should allow to set preference to selected audio output in phone for different music applications.
I found it in my Galaxy A52s (so your S22 should also have it) but didn't test it yet. Maybe that feature might help...?

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #3,397 of 4,753
As others have said, you can do both.

I'd recommend checking Oratory1990's list on Reddit for your headphones. The PDFs are different to the AutoEQ options (every one I've seen uses a low shelf, for example), and often recommend 2 or 3 bands to help adjust to taste.

Only trouble with those is that you have to manually input, although I've found it pretty easy to do on the Chrome desktop app. If you do them by column - all the frequencies, then all the gains, then all the Qs - type the number, press enter and you can start typing the next number with no awkward clicking. I find it much better than doing it on a phone, but I hate any sort of data input on a mobile device.

I've never EQ'ed before. Is there a simple online guide on how to start? What do I listen for when adjusting the bands? What does it mean when people say they are trying to reduce a frequency peak?

Aug 1, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #3,398 of 4,753
I've never EQ'ed before. Is there a simple online guide on how to start? What do I listen for when adjusting the bands? What does it mean when people say they are trying to reduce a frequency peak?

I don't know about simple, but there's a thread on here that will help. It's quite involved though, I've not bothered with all that. Luckilly all the headphones I own are on Oratory's list so I just copy those, then add a little bass because it's fun, and a little treble because age is a bitch.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,399 of 4,753
Is there anyone else who has a problem with a OnePlus phone on Oxygen OS12 choosing aptX Adaptive as the default codec instead of LDAC? I tried the work around that @TK33 shared for his LG on this thread, but this doesn't help on my Nord.
I unchecked aptX Adaptive, turned the Q5K off/on, unpaired/re-paired and I still get the whole list in the app and have to go to developer settings to get LDAC. Not the end of the world and I still love the Q5K, but it would be nice if there were a workaround for my phone too.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #3,400 of 4,753
Is there anyone else who has a problem with a OnePlus phone on Oxygen OS12 choosing aptX Adaptive as the default codec instead of LDAC? I tried the work around that @TK33 shared for his LG on this thread, but this doesn't help on my Nord.
I unchecked aptX Adaptive, turned the Q5K off/on, unpaired/re-paired and I still get the whole list in the app and have to go to developer settings to get LDAC. Not the end of the world and I still love the Q5K, but it would be nice if there were a workaround for my phone too.
I have the one plus 10 pro. I left the Bluetooth codec to default on mine but under the qudelix, I uncheck all except LDAC. When my qudelix connect , it's on LDAC everytime. I have not try adaptive as I feel LDAC sound better or more of a lossless codec. I could be wrong.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #3,401 of 4,753
Ok, but how do you get the app to keep aptX Adaptive unchecked? Mine just keeps re-checking it. Qudelix says I should reboot, but what needs to be rebooted?

I know it's most likely me doing something wrong in the process, but what?

Edit: Ok, clicking 'apply' in the app did the trick. Feeling extremely stupid and noob right now... 😳😉

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #3,402 of 4,753
Has anyone tried to connect 5K to the app on Android 13? I had been using it on PC (USB) and Android 12 (Bluetooth LDAC) on Pixel 6, and recently switched to Android 13 as Google officially released it couple of days ago. Since then, my 5K cannot connect via the Android app. I can connect it to the phone itself via Bluetooth and audio playback is functional (albeit with occasional stuttering, which was not present on Android 12), but the app itself just cannot establish the connection between my 5K. I have tried to forget the device and reconnect via Bluetooth, uninstall / reinstall the app, but nothing seems to be solving the issue.

It still works fine on my Windows PC (Chrome app) tho.

I have raised this issue on the Qudelix forum as well, but I suspect this may be Android issue? Or it could be app compatibility, I have no clue.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #3,403 of 4,753
Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed.

How can i connect on a wired connection my Qudelix to the iPhone 13 pro running IOS 15

When I plug it in, my phone doesn’t play music from Qudelix. Is there some thing in the settings I need to change? I also had this issue when I had Samsung s21. Bluetooth connection is fine and works flawless but cable connection is never recognised.

Can anyone help me out please? Is there a special type of cable I need to use which I’m not using? I just connect it via the charging cable that came with the phone lightning to USBC cable.

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #3,404 of 4,753

How can i connect on a wired connection my Qudelix to the iPhone 13 pro running IOS 15

When I plug it in, my phone doesn’t play music from Qudelix. Is there some thing in the settings I need to change? I also had this issue when I had Samsung s21. Bluetooth connection is fine and works flawless but cable connection is never recognised.

Can anyone help me out please? Is there a special type of cable I need to use which I’m not using? I just connect it via the charging cable that came with the phone lightning to USBC cable.

Thanks
You need a 'camera adapter'. Search this thread for recommendations. The Apple one is bulky, and there are cheaper/smaller alternatives.

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #3,405 of 4,753

Thanks
You need an OTG cable. The standard one won't work. Here's the one that works great for me:
ESR USB-C to Lightning Cable, (20 cm, MFi-Certified), PD Fast Charging Cable for iPhone 13/13 mini/13 Pro/13 Pro Max/12/12 mini/12 Pro/12 Pro Max/SE 2022/11/XR/XS Max/XS/X/8, Braided Nylon, Black https://a.co/d/19rhjgT

With this, you don't need to use the camera adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back