The Qudelix-5K thread
May 22, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #2,281 of 4,825
May 22, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #2,283 of 4,825
That's uh... a pretty bold choice to make it so it ONLY works with the 5k.
Don't worry.. If this really work, there would be connector like that available on the market.. Look at how we could find Sennheiser HD600/650 earcups prorietary connectors on Aliexpress or ebay

May 22, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,284 of 4,825
Don't worry.. If this really work, there would be connector like that available on the market.. Look at how we could find Sennheiser HD600/650 earcups prorietary connectors on Aliexpress or ebay
I mean, would it be possible to make a connector to convert that to a regular 3.5mm?

May 22, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,286 of 4,825
In this Qudelix case is more complicated than balanced connection.. The cabling should be similar to using bi-wire cabling from amplifier to speaker.. But instead of using passive crosover inside the speaker box, with active X-over, each driver would have their own amplifier.
For example for 2 ways with active XO one channel only... (So for stereo, there will be another like this)
LPF : Low Pass Filter
HPF: High Pass Filter

source
|
actXover
| |
LPF HPF
| |
Amp Amp
| |
Low High
Driver Driver

Imagine the complexity on wiring IEM like this.. This could not be simplified to 3.5mm TRS nor 2.5mm TRRS.. It would need at least 4.4mm TRRRS.. If and only if the circuit could have common ground. But even so, the wiring would be totally different with balanced 4.4mm as we normally use..

Theoretically, with active XO, we have so much freedom to decide XO order (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc..) and scheme (Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley, etc.) which could result as better driver integration/seamless or we coud use it to push driver to the limit (i.e. using 6th order 48db/octave) which is very difficult to do (if not impossible) with such a small space on IEM housing..

I'd like to see how Qudelix could achieve this and whether it would worth the effort.. Time will tell.. But I really, really hope they are succesful and the result worth the hassle

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #2,288 of 4,825
Edit: wrong drawing

Should be like this

ActXO (1).png

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,289 of 4,825
Screenshot_20210524-085824_Qudelix.jpg

Referring to the attached screenshot, could someone explain the volume section of the app, specifically:
1. Red column on the right side (blue rectangle)
2. Different volumes (green rectangles). Why are there two values? Which one is actually relevant to hearing pressure at my ears? If for example, put the source volume at 30%, does that mean that 5K at 100% volume can get no louder than 30% equivalent of the source?

May 23, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #2,291 of 4,825
Does anyone know of a device of higher quality, that allows you to tether an app to it like the 5K allows you to do?

I’m looking for a portable solution amp/dac but perhaps with a bit more quality and heft

When you say tether, do you mean both a Bluetooth and USB connection?

May 23, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #2,293 of 4,825
May 23, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #2,294 of 4,825
I’m after being able to use the EQ and filters, gain staging, and whatever other features while streaming music and not having to download files
What exactly is it about the 5K that you don't like? I think it is quite a useful device that works really well for it's size and price point. Have been using it every day and have to say it has been one of the best purchases I made in the last year. It can even drive my Aeon 2 Closed Noire to decent volume via the balanced output and also works great with my SE846 and SE535 (the latter is what I usually use it with since I like how it sounds with the PEQ). Leave my phone plugged in on my nightstand and usually fall asleep listening to it. I have no issues with the quality of the device and it has held up really well. Prefer it to glass and glossy builds on phones these days that gets easily scratched up. I have no issues tossing this thing around. Are you looking for a DAP instead?

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your post/question. The Qudelix 5K seems to do all those things you mentioned. If you are asking about alternatives, I would look at the post @rkw linked to.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #2,295 of 4,825

Users who are viewing this thread

Back