The Qudelix-5K thread
Dec 13, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,772 of 4,750
I am the exact opposite...I hate the music when my ES100 turns on and off and find it annoying and way too long. I prefer the 5K's "cheap Windows sound effects." The more muted spund effects when you turn on/off are one of the things I liked about the 5K. To be honest, I wish I could turn it off on both the ES100 and 5K. Just goes to show we all have different preferences and how difficult, if not impossible, it is to make everyone happy.
Longer, more complex, or higher-fidelity sounds consume valuable flash memory on the device. I’d rather spend the flash budget on other functions.

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #1,773 of 4,750
1) any owners of 5k wish to sale it?) want to have one)

2) anybody listened it with earbuds? I.e. Monk, yuin pk1,2,3, Bs1 oficial, DQSM Turandot etc...?

3) what are opponnents of 5k among daps? How does it sound from 2.5?

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #1,774 of 4,750
1) any owners of 5k wish to sale it?) want to have one)

2) anybody listened it with earbuds? I.e. Monk, yuin pk1,2,3, Bs1 oficial, DQSM Turandot etc...?

3) what are opponnents of 5k among daps? How does it sound from 2.5?
I love my 5k, so I’m not selling, sorry. I can’t hear a difference in sq from 3.5 vs 2.5, only more available power. I use zs10 pro’s, as10’s, tin t2, t3.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,775 of 4,750
Hey,

I'm listening music with my FiiO FH3 and ISN H40 60% of the time over my MacBook into the 3,5mm headphone jack, 20% over my Denon X1600H AVR (just movies) into the 6,3mm headphone jack and 20% over my iPhone (with lightning to 3,5mm adapter).

The source is (MacBook and iPhone) Apple Music, so I think 256 Kbit/s AAC.

So do I get better sound with a headphone amp like the Qudelix 5K (my favorite after comparison) in this combination?
Is ist better to use it over bluetooth with the MacBook and the iPhone or connect it over USB-C respectively Lightning?
Do I profit when I connect to my Denon or is the AVR "enough"?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #1,776 of 4,750
What do you recommend me to pair the Qudelix with, DT 770 Pro 32 or 80 Ohm?
With the 32 Ohm, there's an issue though, I used the Qudelix power chart and it clips a lot over 1.60 Volts, does that mean I can only use performance (1V RMS) mode in the app? I guess since the 770 Pro is unbalanced I gain nothing using the 2.5 mm port right? (I kind want to avoid having to deal with the 3m cable 80 Ohm version)

Clipping.PNG

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #1,777 of 4,750
With the 32 Ohm, there's an issue though, I used the Qudelix power chart and it clips a lot over 1.60 Volts, does that mean I can only use performance (1V RMS) mode in the app? I guess since the 770 Pro is unbalanced I gain nothing using the 2.5 mm port right? (I kind want to avoid having to deal with the 3m cable 80 Ohm version)

Clipping.PNG

Did you look at what SPL it is saturated? That is over 114dB... and that is pretty loud!
Most of music sound quite loud already at 85dB-90dB at ear level...
If you listen at that level for a long term... it would be dangerous for hearing...

Just google for SPL, sound pressure, etc.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,778 of 4,750
Hey,

I'm listening music with my FiiO FH3 and ISN H40 60% of the time over my MacBook into the 3,5mm headphone jack, 20% over my Denon X1600H AVR (just movies) into the 6,3mm headphone jack and 20% over my iPhone (with lightning to 3,5mm adapter).

The source is (MacBook and iPhone) Apple Music, so I think 256 Kbit/s AAC.

So do I get better sound with a headphone amp like the Qudelix 5K (my favorite after comparison) in this combination?
Is ist better to use it over bluetooth with the MacBook and the iPhone or connect it over USB-C respectively Lightning?
Do I profit when I connect to my Denon or is the AVR "enough"?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I have Fiio FH1... and the improvement of the sound coming from Qudelix 5K with just AAC actually is quite improvement over my LGV20 (even on hi-fi and high-impedance mode), the phone that is famous for its sound.

However, I also have to say that somehow... when I try other Codecs (be it SBC and aptX) the sound is actually better than AAC. Obviously with aptX-HD and LDAC, there's further improvement (such as more relaxed but detailed)

Not sure if this is the issue with LG AAC implementation or Qudelix AAC implementation is not optimum...
I read somewhere a guy also mention that he noticed that AAC also sounded 'lesser' compared to other codecs with his Qudelix..

EDIT: I noticed that some people use Qudelix with iPhone... so maybe the AAC issue is with LG implementation.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,779 of 4,750

Clipping.PNG
The red isn't clipping I think it just means dangerous volume. Unbalanced will be plenty. It will probably run the 80ohm fine as well but not the very high ohm. You won't need the cable unless you're a big balanced believer or you want to use one of the high impedance versions which would benefit from the more power via balanced.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,780 of 4,750
I have Fiio FH1... and the improvement of the sound coming from Qudelix 5K with just AAC actually is quite improvement over my LGV20 (even on hi-fi and high-impedance mode), the phone that is famous for its sound.

However, I also have to say that somehow... when I try other Codecs (be it SBC and aptX) the sound is actually better than AAC. Obviously with aptX-HD and LDAC, there's further improvement (such as more relaxed but detailed)

Not sure if this is the issue with LG AAC implementation or Qudelix AAC implementation is not optimum...
I read somewhere a guy also mention that he noticed that AAC also sounded 'lesser' compared to other codecs with his Qudelix..

EDIT: I noticed that some people use Qudelix with iPhone... so maybe the AAC issue is with LG implementation.
Thanks for your answer.

Using Apple products and Apple Music I'm quite tied to AAC most of the time I listen to music.

Would be awesome if there is somebody who is using the Qudelix 5K with an apple device or has the experience with other amps.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,781 of 4,750
It's saturated at 80mW when unbalanced and 240mw balanced.
114dB might seem much but the problem though is that when you start equalizing, as I equalize to Harman 2018 with AutoEQ, you'll need to lower gain to compensate. For DT 770 Pro 32 Ohm that's -8.6dB for Parametric EQ.

That makes it 106.1dB which might not be much depending the case.

As reference I currently use an old Sony MDR-D333 (24 Ohm, 102 db) and sometimes I max out the volume on unbalanced and that's still not enough. I had to raise preamp on the app at expense of distortion.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #1,782 of 4,750
It's saturated at 80mW when unbalanced and 240mw balanced.
114dB might seem much but the problem though is that when you start equalizing, as I equalize to Harman 2018 with AutoEQ, you'll need to lower gain to compensate. For DT 770 Pro 32 Ohm that's -8.6dB for Parametric EQ.

That makes it 106.1dB which might not be much depending the case.

As reference I currently use an old Sony MDR-D333 (24 Ohm, 102 db) and sometimes I max out the volume on unbalanced and that's still not enough. I had to raise preamp on the app at expense of distortion.
Looking at the 770 Pro picture, its a single fixed ear cup cable design, so going balanced won't be possible unless you do the labor intensive mod. You can't just add a 2.5 adapter to a single ended cable, you will gain nothing and can damage the 5K

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #1,783 of 4,750
Looking at the 770 Pro picture, its a single fixed ear cup cable design, so going balanced won't be possible unless you do the labor intensive mod. You can't just add a 2.5 adapter to a single ended cable, you will gain nothing and can damage the 5K
Yes, that was my intention in case audio volume wasn't enough. But I'm seeing cable prices higher than the headphone so I think I will pass. Probably getting the 80 Ohm and chopping the cable will be the most likely mod (unbalanced).

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #1,784 of 4,750
Thanks for your answer.

Using Apple products and Apple Music I'm quite tied to AAC most of the time I listen to music.

Would be awesome if there is somebody who is using the Qudelix 5K with an apple device or has the experience with other amps.
I use the 5k strictly with iPhone 12. I notice better sound with aac than sbc. To be honest I can’t tell the difference between aac and ldac (Samsung tablet).

Dec 22, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #1,785 of 4,750
Some quick thoughts:

1) I love my er100, but the Q5 sounds a bit better - it has higher resolution, but without any etch

2) As much as the es100 button setup annoyed me (not enough tactile difference between the buttons), I HATE the Q5 setup. My kingdom for a dedicated ff/rw rocker button. Did I mention that I hate its button configuration???

3) USB C is soooo much more convenient than micro B

4) The Q5 is really slow to pair. I toggle between multiple phones daily, and the Q5 is so slow, I never know if it has crashed. The es100 is much faster (ie, not annoying) under the same circumstances

5) The latest update fixed a big pet peave; with the es100, you could change the volume incrementally with key presses, but long pressing the volume key accomplished this much faster. Now the Q5 has the same functionality - which is much appreciated.

6) I set up and sold a pair of Magnepan speakers in a socially distant manner, from my garage. I used a Parasound pre, Emotiva amp, and the Q5 and was shocked at the sound quality. The Q5 sounded fantastic, with spectacular Soundstaging and imaging when I expected a lot less.

All and all a no brainer at its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back