The Qudelix-5K thread
Sep 8, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #1,336 of 4,753
I would probably take my SE846 which are unbalanced which would give me much more battery life.
More than 25 hours?

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,337 of 4,753
More than 25 hours?
Haven't tried...if I get 25 hours I would obviously be happy. I meant more than the 6-7 hours that I currently get balanced, which would not be enough whenever travel does resume for me.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #1,338 of 4,753
8 hours for balanced output and 25 for unbalanced. Measured for purpose at medium sound volume on QOA Pink Lady.

Did you manage to get 25 hours unbalanced? If yes, what were your test parameters?

It's interesting to note that at one of the Russian audiophile forums somebody wrote that using an unbalanced output is a kinda "humiliation" for Qudelix 5K. Funny, huh? Another post inquired why everybody wouldn't use the 5K potential in full if it is available.:astonished:

Well, for one, not everyone has balanced gear.

Sep 8, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,339 of 4,753
Is that 7 hours balanced? I usually get around 6-7 hours on my 5K since I usually fall asleep while listening to music using the 5K and it is dead by the time I wake up in the morning.

Your post made me curious so I checked this morning. Attached is my battery graph from this morning (from the Qudelix app) which shows I turned it on around the 450 min mark last night and it stopped around the 820 min mark. The 820-840 min mark is where my phone probably stopped transmitting because it was low on battery (I was out all day so my V60 was not fully charged) and the 840-860 min mark is where I turned it back on this morning to check the battery level and it was at 1% battery.

I use it with SE535s balanced at pretty low volume (-50db as you can see in the screenshot). I use Performance mode, which drains the battery faster. I also use LDAC (usually at 990). Others seem to be getting much better battery life than me which makes me a bit jealous but, to be honest, 6-7 hours is plenty for me. When traveling, I would probably take my SE846 which are unbalanced which would give me much more battery life.
Then it's the same as BTR5 for balanced. The battery gets shorter if I turn it on and off more often. Yes for normal usage is fine as we can charge it and use it as the same time. Also we can charge it with powerbank as well

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #1,340 of 4,753
Did you manage to get 25 hours unbalanced? If yes, what were your test parameters?
Yes, I did.
I guess I've already mentioned about the conditions of the test.
Anyway,
Unbalanced, medium sound volume, QoA Pink Lady IEMs, flac, looped.

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #1,341 of 4,753
Then it's the same as BTR5 for balanced. The battery gets shorter if I turn it on and off more often. Yes for normal usage is fine as we can charge it and use it as the same time. Also we can charge it with powerbank as well
It is a pretty small device though so there is probably only so much battery and tech you can fit in it. I think it does its job very well and definitely much happier with this than my ES100 (never got the BTR5).

Btw, no idea if EQ affects battery life but I should mention I have been playing around with that recently (because why not?) and had it on.

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #1,343 of 4,753
I made a video comparing the 5K, ES100 and BTR5 if anyone is interested.

Very nice review! I would like to ask can we charge the 5k and BTR5 while using the usb dac mode? I notice on my btr5 it shows its charging but it gets very hot and it's not actually charging the battery.

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,344 of 4,753
Very nice review! I would like to ask can we charge the 5k and BTR5 while using the usb dac mode? I notice on my btr5 it shows its charging but it gets very hot and it's not actually charging the battery.

Thanks!

Yes, however I leave it in "Car Mode" which does not charge the battery, and will turn it on/off with the PC. Like you mentioned, I don't want to charge the battery all the time while its sitting there 24/7.

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #1,345 of 4,753
made a video comparing the 5K, ES100 and BTR5 if anyone is interested.
You should be awarded a trophy for this creative work. Just in case, I am not trying to make a joke. Thanks a lot. Been waiting for it for a long time. I hope you don't mind me sharing the video at the thread which I created on Qudelix 5K at one of Russian audiophile websites. If you do just PM me.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,346 of 4,753
You should be awarded a trophy for this creative work. Just in case, I am not trying to make a joke. Thanks a lot. Been waiting for it for a long time. I hope you don't mind me sharing the video at the thread which I created on Qudelix 5K at one of Russian audiophile websites. If you do just PM me.

I appreciate the kind words! Not at all, share away.

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #1,347 of 4,753
In transitioning to my new phone, I came across another benefit to the 5K, over the ES100: the 10 user configurable presets are apparently saved in the unit, unlike the ES100; which only remembers the current settings in the unit itself.

So when I paired the 5K with my new phone, my presets were already loaded in the app.
With the ES100, I had to:
1. Re-pair the device with my old phone
2. Take snapshots of my saved presets
3. Manually configure the 3 out of 4 presets, that weren't saved in the unit

Sep 11, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #1,348 of 4,753
Sep 12, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,349 of 4,753
Using the PEQ do you have to input numbers (that’s a PITA) Is there a way to do it onscreen in the app with touch?

(or via an iOS laptop?)

On my Mac I use FabFilter ProQ3 it has an amazing interface (no number typing needed)

Sep 12, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,350 of 4,753

Users who are viewing this thread

Back