The Qudelix-5K thread
Feb 29, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #4,608 of 4,807
Guys, while you're EQ-ing, PEQ-ing and GEQ-ing the hell out of your gear, do you sometimes just, khm, just listen to the music?
Yes. After months of fine tweaking, sure. It sure is nice to then just be able to put on the cans, and hit play.
Though, too much of a good thing, can be bad. Too loud a thing... yea. I hurt my ears couple months back, still recovering.
Practice safe listening peoples. :L3000:

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #4,609 of 4,807
To get back to EQ drama, just used the 5K's new EQ setup to try out some much-needed room correction on my office speaker setup. Works surprisingly well other than the fact that I can't do Q values higher than 7 (I've got some nasty room modes that create a couple of narrow spikes below 150Hz). It's also a tradeoff in overall sound quality since the 5K isn't the cleanest DAC in the world. But considering just how bad the room acoustics are in my office, it might actually be worth the compromise.

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #4,610 of 4,807
To get back to EQ drama, just used the 5K's new EQ setup to try out some much-needed room correction on my office speaker setup. Works surprisingly well other than the fact that I can't do Q values higher than 7 (I've got some nasty room modes that create a couple of narrow spikes below 150Hz). It's also a tradeoff in overall sound quality since the 5K isn't the cleanest DAC in the world. But considering just how bad the room acoustics are in my office, it might actually be worth the compromise.
Did you try this active ground setting? Any noise improvement?

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #4,611 of 4,807
other than the fact that I can't do Q values higher than 7
Q7 was the limit for v2 firmware, but in my short playing around with v3 through the chrome extension i see that Q can go up to 15 now.

Edit: Just tried through the android app, and it wont allow value higher than 7, so probably a bug, idk.
Edit2: If you set Q value of 15 in the chrome extension, it will show as 15 in the android app too, but you wouldnt be able to change the filter to anything higher than Q7 through the app if you try reducing it to say 14.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #4,612 of 4,807
Q7 was the limit for v2 firmware, but in my short playing around with v3 through the chrome extension i see that Q can go up to 15 now.

Edit: Just tried through the android app, and it wont allow value higher than 7, so probably a bug, idk.
Edit2: If you set Q value of 15 in the chrome extension, it will show as 15 in the android app too, but you wouldnt be able to change the filter to anything higher than Q7 through the app if you try reducing it to say 14.
I use the iOS app where the limit is 7. Bummer. I generally don't go higher than 10 (and, even then, only below 200Hz), but like I said above, my office space is an acoustic mess: an almost perfect square with one entire wall a window. Also, I can't believe I'm actually griping about having a giant wall-sized window facing directly at our local mountain range...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #4,614 of 4,807
I use the iOS app where the limit is 7. Bummer. I generally don't go higher than 10 (and, even then, only below 200Hz), but like I said above, my office space is an acoustic mess: an almost perfect square with one entire wall a window. Also, I can't believe I'm actually griping about having a giant wall-sized window facing directly at our local mountain range...
iOS v3.01 available. Bugs fix. It now allows Q values up to 15.
I have a hard time entering PEQ values with my iPhone: the numeric keyboard keeps auto-hiding right after it appears. Sometimes it "sticks" but I am not sure what causes that behavior. Do you have the same issue?

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #4,615 of 4,807
iOS v3.01 available. Bugs fix. It now allows Q values up to 15.
I have a hard time entering PEQ values with my iPhone: the numeric keyboard keeps auto-hiding right after it appears. Sometimes it "sticks" but I am not sure what causes that behavior. Do you have the same issue?
I do, but it’s been this way for as long as I’ve owned the 5K, so I’ve just gotten used to it. I just enter the values blindly. Works just fine. I double check my values anyway, so it’s not really any more work for me.

Awesome news about the update too. I had figured it was just a hard limit in the software. Cool that it wasn’t!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #4,617 of 4,807
I would love to see a Q5K Jumbo, built around a big battery like an 18650 or similar. It should out out about 8 to 10 Watts peak. Everything else the same: plastic case, 4 buttons, same software.

Suddenly, our big planars would be liberated from the drawer beside our listening chairs.
I would buy that in an instant.

Though I would consider removing the clip since it doesn't work on headbands. Perhaps just put notches in the case for bands or a screw hole in the case.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #4,618 of 4,807
I would love to see a Q5K Jumbo, built around a big battery like an 18650 or similar. It should out out about 8 to 10 Watts peak. Everything else the same: plastic case, 4 buttons, same software.

Suddenly, our big planars would be liberated from the drawer beside our listening chairs.
Well, sure, but it'd cost $500+ and would be missing most of what the competition offers at that price. For me, the whole reason to own a 5K is getting PEQ and bluetooth at a low price and in a pocket-sized form factor. If the price and size increased, I would no longer see the appeal.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #4,619 of 4,807
Well, sure, but it'd cost $500+ and would be missing most of what the competition offers at that price. For me, the whole reason to own a 5K is getting PEQ and bluetooth at a low price and in a pocket-sized form factor. If the price and size increased, I would no longer see the appeal.
Why would it be so much? The only changes would be a bigger battery and beefier amplification, while not being unreasonably big/heavy. Is there anything else available that could drive planars?

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #4,620 of 4,807
Why would it be so much? The only changes would be a bigger battery and beefier amplification, while not being unreasonably big/heavy. Is there anything else available that could drive planars?
Why so much? A mobile device that outputs 8-10W into headphones? I can't even afford a desktop amp that outputs that much power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back