The Qudelix-5K thread
Apr 9, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #3,976 of 4,906
Does anyone think there will be a new modern dac model more advanced than the Qudelix - 5k soon?

Personally, I wholeheartedly wish for an upgrade from Qudelix, themselves, but I do not think so.

I just wish they make a new one with a 4.4 pentaconn. The rest stays the same and nothing else.

I haven't decided on buying the 5K because I feel any moment they announce a new model, some kind of 5K MKII, with a 4.4 output and I'm going to regret buying the older one with 2.5mm. It's been so long since they released the original that I wish I could get confirmation directly from Qudelix that they're not planning a new device XD.

For me, both the BTR7 and the Qudelix-5K have excellent sound quality. I am using all the IEMs and headphones you can see in my signature with both of them, besides the HD600. They just sound different but equally beautiful to me. I tend to use my BTR7 a bit more. What I sincerely appreciate on the Qudelix 5K is their support for the product. They listen to their customers, they upgrade the App and the Firmware very often, and they are present on the website to support and reply to any questions. The EQ is a huge function of the 5K but personally I do not use EQ almost at all. For my Tansio Mirai Sands, though, which sound extremely bright to my ears, the 5K's PEQ has proven to be a salvation! As a company, in overall, Qudelix is much-much better than FiiO.

PS: for battery life, I have not measured it because when one gets depleted, I switch to the other. But I would say, both can last around 4 hours or so, listening to LDAC.
Does the BTR7 or the 5K has something similar to the iFi Go Blu "XBass" and "XSpace". If it wasn't so expensive to send to Mexico, I'd have already bought the Go Blu just to test those two options. I'd like to hear how do they sound.

I know that for bass you can EQ both, the BTR7 and the 5K, but it's not the same if you have to EQ for every headphone or IEM you use, and on the iFi Go Blu are just two switch, on and off, easy.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #3,977 of 4,906
Does the BTR7 or the 5K has something similar to the iFi Go Blu "XBass" and "XSpace".
Dont know about the BTR7 as i never used it(though afaik it has PEQ), but with the 5K you can do even better than the Xbass as you can fine tune what bass frequencies to boost and by what ammount. Just make a custom preset named "bass boost" and use a low shelf filter with the PEQ and boost to your liking, i prefer it at 200-250Hz with Q1 but it will depend on the FR of the iem youre using what will give you the best result, good thing you have the flexibility to experiment till you get what you like best.

As for xspace, not sure what it does as i never used the blu. Could be boosting high frequencies to get you some air/spaciousness(in this case high shelf filter might do you good), or maybe theres some additional processing going on in which case it couldnt be reproduced on the 5K.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #3,978 of 4,906
I haven't decided on buying the 5K because I feel any moment they announce a new model, some kind of 5K MKII, with a 4.4 output and I'm going to regret buying the older one with 2.5mm. It's been so long since they released the original that I wish I could get confirmation directly from Qudelix that they're not planning a new device XD.

Does the BTR7 or the 5K has something similar to the iFi Go Blu "XBass" and "XSpace". If it wasn't so expensive to send to Mexico, I'd have already bought the Go Blu just to test those two options. I'd like to hear how do they sound.

I know that for bass you can EQ both, the BTR7 and the 5K, but it's not the same if you have to EQ for every headphone or IEM you use, and on the iFi Go Blu are just two switch, on and off, easy.
No one has heard anything about a new version at all. You should just pull the trigger now. You won't be disappointed.

The 5k doesn't have a button to click like the iFi, but it has much greater capability between the EQ and PEQ, plugins, cross-feed and everything else in the software. You can do the same things and more.

Apr 13, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #3,979 of 4,906
Charging AND using a battery in some devices can be hard on the device. Some Mfrs don't recommend charging while using...

Two Things I might try..
1) Try turning OFF the Charging when you are using it USB connected. This will not charge the battery when you are using it USB Connected. Just run off the Battery.
* If unit does NOT get as Hot, this may one way to resolve your heating problem? (iPhone users need to use this to play 5K from and iPhone)
* If battery does NOT get Hot, it also means that the charging function is what's making it HOT. Probably while also using at high gain/performance...
* If the Battery still stays just as Hot, then it's NOT a Charging problem, but some "overtaxing" of the battery.

2) I would also think about reducing either the System And/or the EQ Preamp by 3db. So -3dB System and -6 dB on the EQ Preamp ? (UNless you are boosting base by more than say 6 to 9 dB.) Feeding such a low signal to the Amp is likely why you need to run high gain. IF you try this kind of a "3 to 6 dB" increase in signal to the Amp, you may/should be able to run 3.5mm Performance LOW GAIN, and have higher volume, and cleaner sound. This should put less strain on the electronics, and the battery, and might prevent battery overheating even when USB Connected; even if it is also charging the battery.

Lastly, try a different USB C cable. Sometimes a poor cable connection can cause signal and/or charging problems.

Sorry, I can't test these things on my unit. Trying to help you resolve the problem before the battery in this NEW 5K gets damaged too.

FYI: Just for reference. On My unit, I don't EQ... But Actually apply a +6dB System Gain. I do that because I use REPLAY GAIN on my files, and that reduces gain by about 6dB. (Replay Gain helps to normalize the volume of all the tracks/files.) So, "Replay gain" reduces/normalizes gain by ca, 6dB. then I use "system Gain" on the 5K of +6dB to bring the gain back to a good level for the Amp section... My 5K never gets more than warm.

Thank you for everyone who helped - The 5K needed T5 security torx and boy were they a PITA. The battery was buldged - got it out cleanly and snipped out. It is working on bus power right now. I'm fine with that as a work PEQ solution.

I'm not a fan of the QX-Over - they are too hard to get a good seal for any amount of time.

The second 5K I have will be for wireless use

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #3,981 of 4,906
Hi all - New to this thread.

Decided to try my 5K connected via usb to my Microsoft Surface Pro today for the first time. Using Qobuz and the Qudelix Chrome extension. the sound is fine when I don't touch device but I noticed a clicking/tapping sound sound that comes through the headphones when I touch the Qudelix buttons (even without pressing them, just the slightest touch is enough). Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't have this issue when I use the 5K with my phone (wired or via BT).

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #3,982 of 4,906
Hi all - New to this thread.

Decided to try my 5K connected via usb to my Microsoft Surface Pro today for the first time. Using Qobuz and the Qudelix Chrome extension. the sound is fine when I don't touch device but I noticed a clicking/tapping sound sound that comes through the headphones when I touch the Qudelix buttons (even without pressing them, just the slightest touch is enough). Has anyone else experienced this?
Could its mic be possibly On? I know it has a sensitive mic that picks up a lot of sounds very easily.

Apr 27, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #3,985 of 4,906
Is there a way to LOCK my set Volume?
You can lock the buttons completely. Top toggle called “BUTTON LOCK”.
IMG_0671.png

Apr 28, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #3,987 of 4,906
Bit late to the game but...
Finally got my q5k recently. Been pairing with my final a5000. Stunning little amp!

May 4, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #3,988 of 4,906
What does all this jibberish mean?

IMG_0706.jpeg

May 5, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #3,989 of 4,906
What does all this jibberish mean?

My guess is, this is a view of the max RMS (root mean square) level in mV as it is stated at the bottom, on a linear scale... Whereas on the main "level meter" at the middle right, it is a value in dB (logarithmic scale) of the attenuation respect to the maximum (0dB) attainable level in the present configuration ( 2V RMS actually).
Please note that 2V RMS is HUGE and could be fed to some speakers with a reasonnable "listening level", if the current output could follow, of course...

PS: If you don't know the exponent, or "power of ten" notation (sorry if this is incorrect, I'm french...), 1E1 means 1x10 mV, wereas 9.2E0 means 9.2x1=9.2mV

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #3,990 of 4,906

Users who are viewing this thread

Back