The Qudelix-5K thread
Feb 28, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #3,016 of 4,906
So, my Qudelix arrived today in the UK (1 day early!) and I've got it up and running. So far so good. Now at last I can listen to Amazon HD with some degree of quality on an iPhone.

I've been using the autoeq settings for my iems (ER4P, Tin Hifi P1 Plus, and T2 Plus) all sound very nice. However, I do feel that I could do with a slightly more elevated bass - does this mean I'm stuck with experimenting with the PEQ settings or can I do something simpler with the GEC?

Your advice would be appreciated.
Autoeq presets are a good start but you need some tweaks to adjust it to your likings.
Just play with it until you find the right balance.

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #3,017 of 4,906
So, my Qudelix arrived today in the UK (1 day early!) and I've got it up and running. So far so good. Now at last I can listen to Amazon HD with some degree of quality on an iPhone.

I've been using the autoeq settings for my iems (ER4P, Tin Hifi P1 Plus, and T2 Plus) all sound very nice. However, I do feel that I could do with a slightly more elevated bass - does this mean I'm stuck with experimenting with the PEQ settings or can I do something simpler with the GEC?

Your advice would be appreciated.
The way i usually do, is compare the frequency range between the iem i have and the iem that i believe do better in certain aspects /ie fix the flaw.

For example, this is my setting for fh3, cuz i want it to be more bassy & trebley, more V shaped. So i compare fh3 frequency graph with Ikko OH10,and see where the dips in lower range & upper range, and increase so that they match.

The 2nd picture is my settings for OH10, where i want the vocal to be more forward, like fh3. So i compare their frequency graphs, and increase the mids so it match.

That's how i experiment with peq.

So far, happy with the results

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228_213432_com.qudelix.qudelix.jpg
    Screenshot_20220228_213432_com.qudelix.qudelix.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220228_213411_com.qudelix.qudelix.jpg
    Screenshot_20220228_213411_com.qudelix.qudelix.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #3,019 of 4,906
I can confirm that EQ will work on USB DAC mode. You can use Qudelix app on your smartphone to change the EQ even in USB DAC mdoe.
Is there any other portable DAC AMP working in USB DAC mode that allows to do this? knowing asking for any other manufacturer to have a chrome extension application would be too much to ask for. Recently heartbroken for outrageous T71 price of $500 MSRP, it's time for me to start looking for other options, I will get another Qudelix-5K, but will need a third device too for my current setup, preferably from another manufacturer under $300 or even a USB/DAC desktop with these particular feature.

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #3,020 of 4,906
I have been using the Monarch MKII for the past couple of weeks. I finally used the IER-Z1R with the 5K 2.5mm input.....WOW these sound great! No EQ needed!

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #3,022 of 4,906
Trying to find one in Europe these days. Quite hard! Don't want to order from them and getting it shipped from the US and get a nice added import tax fee. Anyone got tips? (Or a secondhand would be fine too) :wink:
I feel your pain. I'm in the UK and ended up ordering direct from Qudelix. Arrived in 7 days and didn't have any tax/import duties :beerchug:
TBH, I had assumed I'd get a 20% charge, but accepted that the extra £20 would be acceptable for the £98 I paid. So was very surprised to get it under £100.

Mar 5, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #3,023 of 4,906
Please correct me if my newbie logic is wrong.

The 5K is a DAC (and amp combo?). As DAC stands for “digital to analog converter”, it takes the digital bits and bytes of a music file and converts it into analog audio signals that can be picked up by the audio output device connected to it via 2.5mm or 3.5mm. The output device converts the signals into sound waves that we hear.

According to the 5K spec sheet, this is a USB Audio Class 1.0 device, which means it's capable of up to 24 bits/96 kHz max. A lot of the documentations I've come across about Audio Class 1.0 were beyond my comprehension, but the one thing I could take away is that it's based on USB standards from 1999, way before USB 2.0 was a thing, and that pretty much all USB-equipped devices capable of USB Audio made in the last 5-10 years will support it.

Let's assume that I have a laptop, a tablet and a phone all capable of USB audio. They were all manufactured in the last 5 years and their USB ports are all in good, working condition. They all have identical music libraries. Does that mean that for practical purposes, when I listen to music via the 5K and the same pair of headphones, it's going to sound virtually identical regardless of source?

And as for wireless, if my logic is correct, does that mean that if I stick to the same codec across all three sources, the wireless music will sound virtually identical?

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #3,024 of 4,906
..Let's assume that I have a laptop, a tablet and a phone all capable of USB audio. They were all manufactured in the last 5 years and their USB ports are all in good, working condition. They all have identical music libraries. Does that mean that for practical purposes, when I listen to music via the 5K and the same pair of headphones, it's going to sound virtually identical regardless of source?
Yes, they should sound the same, with the exception of some noise (AC/Wi-Fi/LTE) introduced by the host.

And as for wireless, if my logic is correct, does that mean that if I stick to the same codec across all three sources, the wireless music will sound virtually identical?
Same answer as above.

Mar 5, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #3,025 of 4,906
Check to see if Oratory 1990 has EQ settings for your IEMs. He actually listens to what the EQ does and tweaks a bit based on his judgment. He also designs the EQ to have simple to apply broad adjustments to suit your own tastes--for example, for overall bass, for sub-bass, for overall treble, for airiness. He actually documents which setting to tweak for each effect. You can do whichever ones produce a nice result for you. AutoEQ generates the EQ algorithmically based on measurements from several sources, but preferring Oratory 1990. Generally, I've found the AutoEQ settings usually sound very close to Oratory 1990. But, they tend to be weird and harder to tweak.

In general, I'd say PEQ is easier to tweak than GEQ. To make it easier, connect your 5K to a laptop running Chrome browser (or any derivative like Brave or Edge). Install the Qudelix 5K plugin. It enables you to use the big screen of your laptop to adjust the settings. You can see the effect as you change the settings. In general you'll probably want to change the strength (dB) of an adjustment, rather than changing the frequency or width (q).

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #3,028 of 4,906
i have been really enjoying the 5K; the customizations are AMAZING! and sound is really good too.

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #3,029 of 4,906
i have been really enjoying the 5K; the customizations are AMAZING! and sound is really good too.
Me, too! Can you tell me how does it sound with the Monarch MKII? I will be ordering them this Friday, hopefully! :)

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #3,030 of 4,906
Me, too! Can you tell me how does it sound with the Monarch MKII? I will be ordering them this Friday, hopefully! :)
The MKII sounds great with everything I pair it with. A very enjoyable IEM that doesn't color the music, it reproduces it very neutrally (which some find boring, but I enjoy them a lot).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back