The Qudelix-5K thread
Sep 4, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #2,626 of 4,772
I'm guessing that you will end up liking it. Headphone jacks are going the way of the Dodo bird on most higher $ smartphones and even when phones did have them in the past, they usually weren't very good. Usually had low output and not very good audio dacs in them. Only one I have ever seen that had good reviews was the LG G series ( 20-40) but I can't comment since I have never owned or heard the quad dacs that were present in those phones at the time. My Samsung S8 had a phone jack and it didn't sound very good and didn't have enough power to drive anything I owned (iems or headphones) to a satisfying listening level. Only when I bought a dedicated USB dac/amp (Fiio Q1MK2) did I begin to understand how much better music could sound from a phone. I also ended up buying 3 Radsone Earsonics ES100 dac/amps and most recently, the Qudelix. I now use these devices with my Samsung S20 (which also has no phone jack) but the SQ on all is good enough for me to not want to bother with desktop dacs and amps (or even home audio speaker based setups). If you can, try to take advantage of the balanced output of the Qudelix. This provides even better separation and imaging, as well as more power. In any case, I'm certain that you would be happier with the sound of your gear, than by just using the phone's built-in dac and the headphone jack. Just my 2-cents...ymmv.
thanks for the reply.. i know exactly what you mean and thankfully i have many 2.5mm terminated cables that i can use for the balanced port. When i am not carrying the DX160 i hope this can suffice as a standby. I am sure i'll have many more questions once i get it in my hands. I wonder what changes we can expect now that QUALCOMM has announced its aptX lossless codec

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #2,627 of 4,772
It would be very interesting if q5k could output digital signals through it’s usb port. Consider many portable dac&amp is self powered, if q5k could work as an Bluetooth receiver ....is it possible to have uac on q5k?

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #2,628 of 4,772
It would be very interesting if q5k could output digital signals through it’s usb port. Consider many portable dac&amp is self powered, if q5k could work as an Bluetooth receiver ....is it possible to have uac on q5k?
No, the Qudelix 5K can't use an external USB DAC/Amp like the Centrance M8V2.. I just tried, but nothing coming, like I get with a little Shanling M0 in same situation..
Shanling can be used as LDAC BT receiver and push digital music to an external DAC, the Qudelix 5K can't. It's a pity, as the PEQ of the Qudelix 5K is really convenient.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #2,629 of 4,772
No, the Qudelix 5K can't use an external USB DAC/Amp like the Centrance M8V2.. I just tried, but nothing coming, like I get with a little Shanling M0 in same situation..
Shanling can be used as LDAC BT receiver and push digital music to an external DAC, the Qudelix 5K can't. It's a pity, as the PEQ of the Qudelix 5K is really convenient.
which shanling product?

i know q5k currently cant do that, and i am suggesting such feature.

Sep 7, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #2,630 of 4,772
I am having a heck of a time telling when this thing is on or off. I'd rather not set it to have the lights on all the time. Anyone have any tricks to be able to tell?

Sep 7, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #2,631 of 4,772
I am having a heck of a time telling when this thing is on or off. I'd rather not set it to have the lights on all the time. Anyone have any tricks to be able to tell?
Did you check the tone volume? Recent firmware set the default very low on mine so I had to increase it. You should hear some sound effects when it turns on and off (and connects). I keep the lights on but have dimmed them in the app so it no longer bothers me. They were super bright when this thing first came out before Qudelix added this option. See link to post by @mhoopes below:

Post in thread 'The Qudelix-5K thread' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-qudelix-5k-thread.914628/post-16514991

Sep 7, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2,632 of 4,772
Did you check the tone volume? Recent firmware set the default very low on mine so I had to increase it. You should hear some sound effects when it turns on and off (and connects). I keep the lights on but have dimmed them in the app so it no longer bothers me. They were super bright when this thing first came out before Qudelix added this option. See link to post by @mhoopes below:

Post in thread 'The Qudelix-5K thread' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-qudelix-5k-thread.914628/post-16514991
Thank you! The tone volume was pretty low so I cranked it all the way up. I turned the lights on too and am keeping them at their dimmest.

Sep 7, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #2,634 of 4,772
The volume control. If the Q5K is powered off, you won't see it light up red on pressing up or down. That's how I can tell.

Sep 12, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #2,636 of 4,772
Huh, do you know why they were removed?
It has not been removed. From version 1.8 onwards it is no longer optional, but always on.

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #2,637 of 4,772
What position are you guys using the QX-feed at? For headphones? For iems?

Sep 15, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #2,638 of 4,772
I got the Q5K today and it's fair to say I'm impressed. The BTR5 was always fine, but the Q5K absolutely sounds better with my Campfire Cascade (main portable set). Aside from the sound I've really liked the app, and while I'm sure the novelty will fade I like tinkering with stuff and the EQ is a bona-fide hoot to play with. The app is also much (much much) better than Fiio's, which is... not the best feature of that device. I may keep the Fiio for my IEMs but more than likely it will be up for sale soon enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even as I'm writing this I'm impressed with how good it sounds attached to the Cascade. I can't quite put my finger on the exact difference(s?) over the BTR5 but it just sounds more enjoyable. I never found myself 3hr deep in a music hole with the Fiio and the Cascade, and yet here I am with the Q5K head-banging at 10:30pm with no end in site.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #2,639 of 4,772
I ordered one from the company direct to get the IEMs as well. I ate the $20USD shipping fee as Amazon did not have the dedicated IEMs. They arrived from Korea to SF in 5 days. They took a circuitous route in FEDEXs' system but they showed up early in the morning of the 5th day. I immediately connected the 5K via USB to my Macbook Air with no issues and connected to my iPad Air via BT with no issues. I downloaded the IOS app onto the iPad and an update popped up and installed with no issues. I'm in the process of replacing my iPhone and expect it will work with it with no issues.

Sound-wise, the IEMs with the Q5X-over EQ setting, sound pretty fine. Their planar nature shines through and given they were designed to go with the unit, with the dual driver cross over configuration, I feel I made the right decision. They are articulate, free from hash and glare, are silent and pleasing to the ear - meaning so far I have not experienced fatigue. (I've been around the block with ear fatigue via early IEMs and these are a pleasure). Bass is wholly dependent on the tip size. I switched to middle of the three provided and bass 'synergized' right into the mix. They sound very well indeed on acoustic jazz which is my benchmark and the raison d'arte for my purchase. I am going to try some of my other IEMs for the heck of it but these IEMs appear to be a winner. Oh, and the DAC/AMP itself is spot on. It just gets out of the way, to my ears anyway.

On the buttons: The red light comes on to let you know its awake and then turns itself off. The blue light remains off until you press it. There is a slight indentation on the red button which is the volume adjust. Also, you can orient by the clip. I actually prefer the buttons versus a rotary so I'm fine with them. Other than adjusting for the 5K X-over IEMs and a few other minor bits, it is part of the audio team. Small little rascal for sure.

Thanks to all who posted their impressions. I based my decision on your collective input.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #2,640 of 4,772
Glad you're happy with the Qudelix 5K and Xover IEM. Nowadays I wouldn't listen to my collection of 20+ IEMs without using the 5K with each one individually EQ'D using published FR graphs and fine tuned with my ears 😏 I've been sitting on the fence on getting the Xover due to its rather lukewarm reception and shipping cost. How would you compare its SQ to other IEMs?
BTW the Xover uses 2 DDs, not planar drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back