The Price of CD's!
Feb 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, I have paid up to $400 for 1 CD.

That made me felt good since I now know that I am not alone.
confused_face.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That made me felt good since I now know that I am not alone.
confused_face.gif

You are not alone...trust me. I have spent up to that much and others have fallen in between. There are a good 2 dozen or more that have surpassed the $50 mark.
confused_face.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #18 of 30
In some ways, now is the "right time to buy" CDs - at least it appears to be so in the UK. On the Amazon UK site, I rarely need to spend more than £4.99 ($8) for a brand new CD from popular, big name artists. For example, Elbow's back catalogue is available for £3.48 each. Joni Mitchell's Blue has been available for under £3, but today I checked it has gone up to over £5.

I just use the Amazon wish list and occasionally check how the prices are moving, and also compare how the marketplace prices compare to Amazon's own. Sooner or later, the price will drop right down if you're prepared to wait a few months.

This doesn't apply to rarities or most deluxe re-issues. Those may disappear altogether, or go up. There was one though that I held out for for a long time: an out of print old reggae album (yes, really). For ages is was available used in the marketplace at over £100. Then one day, it was there for around £5 (used, as new condition). So I bought it immediately.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #19 of 30
Where possible I buy CDs direct from the artist - at least they get a decent share of the money that way.
SACD seem to have been the most expensive buys, i've gone into the $100+ for a few gems....

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #20 of 30
I typically pay around 12 for cds, but i do most my shopping at best buy. unless its release day, then they are usually 10 bucks. I never thought to buy cds from the artists, unless they are unsigned, ill have to start doing that. Then you know they are getting more of the money
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #21 of 30
With some luck I can find Nice Price CDs for NOK 99 (~USD 17). Full price is NOK 189 (~USD 35), so I most often pass on those.
Go figure!

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are not alone...trust me. I have spent up to that much and others have fallen in between. There are a good 2 dozen or more that have surpassed the $50 mark.
confused_face.gif

Glad to know I am not as nutty as I think.
biggrin.gif

When I first start buying CDs way back in 1987, they were about $16.00 to $18.00/each. To me, the prices has actually come down. And besides, music can last you a lifetime....a song will mean different things during different stages of your life. You can hardly say that for a movie or a video game.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to know I am not as nutty as I think.
biggrin.gif

When I first start buying CDs way back in 1987, they were about $16.00 to $18.00/each. To me, the prices has actually come down. And besides, music can last you a lifetime....a song will mean different things during different stages of your life. You can hardly say that for a movie or a video game.

I agree. Those old $16 - $18 CD's are the ones that usually go for over $50 now. Still, it's damn nice hearing a good version of one of your favorite albums. Totally worth it for me.
icon10.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #25 of 30
I normally buy direct from the label/artist. Very rarely do I buy from amazon or an amazon seller or anywhere else. I've spent as little as $1 on a brand new cd from a label's shop to 25 EUR plus shipping from another label that doesn't have US distro :/

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With some luck I can find Nice Price CDs for NOK 99 (~USD 17). Full price is NOK 189 (~USD 35), so I most often pass on those.
Go figure!

Oh dear, Norway seems to be expensive. I'd consider a CD expensive when it approaches 20 EUR, normal prices seem to be around 15..17 (which is roughly in line with 30..35 DM 10 years ago), and stuff that sold in volumes like a year or two ago can be below 10 (less popular indie stuff tends to remain quite constant in price). Classics tend to be in the 6..8 EUR range, cheaper when buying used. (You can probably guess what kind of CDs I buy the most.)

Around here, importing things from the UK has become more popular, especially since the pound went down a lot. Apparently you can get away with 10 EUR or less. Since it's all EU, there are no extra taxes or anything either. Music seems to be one of the few things that's cheap over there.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAttorney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This doesn't apply to rarities or most deluxe re-issues. Those may disappear altogether, or go up. There was one though that I held out for for a long time: an out of print old reggae album (yes, really). For ages is was available used in the marketplace at over £100. Then one day, it was there for around £5 (used, as new condition). So I bought it immediately.

This reminds me of a few weeks ago. I've been searching for Jeff Becks Sea Change SACD (or possibly DVD-A), disappointingly finding it only for $70+. Then one day, I see it (SACD) for $14.99 on Ebay, "buy it now or best offer," in "like new" condition!! I registered for an Ebay account in record time (yes, I have been living under a rock) but it was long gone before I had a chance..

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #28 of 30
I almost always buy used. There's a great local music chain in the Boston area called "Newbury Comics" that has a really good used collection. The used is under almost always under $10, and the new stuff is usually under $13.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh dear, Norway seems to be expensive. I'd consider a CD expensive when it approaches 20 EUR, normal prices seem to be around 15..17 (which is roughly in line with 30..35 DM 10 years ago)
<snip>

Yeah, most things are expensive. Taxes and VAT destroy many deals...

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #30 of 30
When considering inflation, even at around $18.00 a new cd is a better deal that the $5-6 we paid in $1975 for an album or cassette. Also, the releases contain on average 50% more material (60 min versus 40 min) and the quality of a digital recording will sound just as good on the 1000th play as the first play just make it a better product all the way around.

Having said that I try to get my music as used cd's on Amazon in the $10 range including all shipping and packing charges. There are only a handful of bands where I won't be able to wait for a used copy and may purchase full price for the newly released cd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back