The Price of CD's!
Feb 1, 2010 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

davidhunternyc

Headphoneus Supremus
O.K. I am a bit too lazy tonight to shop for the cheapest price for a few CD's I want so I just ordered 4 CD's from Amazon. Even with free shipping on all of them, I am paying $18.21 per CD! Sounds too expensive to me. What do you think? I have to admit I am a bit of a snob, and every single song on my iPod is ripped from a CD. I have yet to download a song from iTunes. Perhaps its due to Apples exorbitant prices for MP3 downloads and so, if I am going to pay a fortune, might as well get the real thing; a CD. Still, I feel $18 a CD is as much as a ripoff as what Apple charges for their MP3's.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.K. I am a bit too lazy tonight to shop for the cheapest price for a few CD's I want so I just ordered 4 CD's from Amazon. Even with free shipping on all of them, I am paying $18.21 per CD! Sounds too expensive to me. What do you think? I have to admit I am a bit of a snob, and every single song on my iPod is ripped from a CD. I have yet to download a song from iTunes. Perhaps its due to Apples exorbitant prices for MP3 downloads and so, if I am going to pay a fortune, might as well get the real thing; a CD. Still, I feel $18 a CD is as much as a ripoff as what Apple charges for their MP3's.

$18 a CD? What CD's are you buying from amazon, because just about all my cds from amazon are $10 or less, but I'm a prime member though, so no shipping charges. Still, if your paying that much, I'd order used or ebay instead

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 30
i never pay more than $15 for a CD and usually pay no more than $10

i also shop around and buy used whenever necessary

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 30
I agree on used, as well (eBay, Amazon Marketplace, or your local record store).

The only time I would pay more than $15 for a CD is if it's an import and I can't find it used.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree on used, as well (eBay, Amazon Marketplace, or your local record store).

The only time I would pay more than $15 for a CD is if it's an import and I can't find it used.

I agree, especially for things like gold cds of an artist that cost around $30

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Agreed. I usually can find what I want on Ebay for less than $10, but recently I spent $17/disc on Japanese Nick Drake releases, and I'm probably going to spend $30ish for the MFSL edition of Sea Change.
There was also the Beatles Mono Box set that was around $20/disc as well.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

This.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 30
You mention your taste is a bit esoteric. I have no problem spending upwards of $60 for a single cd...depending on how collectible it may be. It is music after all. And at times...it can prove to be priceless.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #14 of 30
Yikes. I don't have the most ordinary tastes, either, but I always save a lot buying used. I like to go to swapmeets and junk stores where I can usually buy discs for $2-$5 and can usually negotiate if I buy several.

That said, I will pay MSRP for some SACDs. There aren't many made and they become difficult to find when out of print. Considering what some of them are selling for, my collection is actually worth more than what I paid.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you want something like this:
Amazon.com: Beethoven: Sinfonia (Symphony) No.3 "Eroica", Op.55 / Coriolan Overture Op.62: Ludwig van Beethoven, Le Concert des Nations, Jordi Savall: Music
There is no other choice...

WOW! I had no idea it was going for that amount! I just remastered this for someone. LOL!
biggrin.gif

More on topic...If a CD is worth it to me, say like....A rare recording of Francesco Durante's Magnificat in A or his Messa Da Morto in C then there is no saying what I would pay. However, recorded performances of his works are rare. Audiophile quality recordings of his works are even rarer. That said, I have paid up to $400 for 1 CD. It depends on the quality of the recording and the performance. In general though, I rarely pay more than $10 a CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back