The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Apr 27, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #916 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone can use a hooker and an eight ball, now and again.

They're the gifts that keep giving.

BTW- I recently spent a 10 hour day listening to a Predator during a "travel nightmare from he!!" while on a business trip and I'm going to write a short essay about it.

It will be titled: "10 Consuming Hours With a Predator on My Back"

The Predator and my iMod kept me sane during a torturous airport fiasco. I promise to make it 500 words or less.
Be on the lookout (the Dac section was not used during the filming of this episode).

John...Your signature looks, so...empty. Did it fall off the face of the earth?

Sorry, sorry. I don't know what got into me. i guess the hooker business distracted me.

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #917 of 987
Jam, if you aren't careful I'll be moving my profile back to my sig line
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #918 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you discriminate against hookers?

Discriminate is not the word I would have used but since you put it that way, yes.

If I had $500 of disposable income and could choose between a "date" with a hooker or The Predator, I'd choose The Predator.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #919 of 987
Well I just unpacked my new Predator. I was unprepared for the actual physical size. Coming from what I now consider to be a fat bloated carcass of the hornet is a shock. I now have to get rid of my similarly bloated iPhone, iPods etc to match the anemic size of this thing.

Maybe I can have someone mod a NANO into this thing?

I'm now nestling in for the 41 days of continuous burn in to meet the ahem '1000' hours needed.

Another beautifully crafted piece of electronics Ray!

Apr 30, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #920 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just unpacked my new Predator. I was unprepared for the actual physical size. Coming from what I now consider to be a fat bloated carcass of the hornet is a shock. I now have to get rid of my similarly bloated iPhone, iPods etc to match the anemic size of this thing.

Maybe I can have someone mod a NANO into this thing?

I'm now nestling in for the 41 days of continuous burn in to meet the ahem '1000' hours needed.

Another beautifully crafted piece of electronics Ray!

Hah hah
smily_headphones1.gif

It will beat your old Hornet after about 350 hours or so, and 600 will almost beat everything else...

Apr 30, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #922 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think it will beat a Graham Slee Voyager?

Never heard a voyager, but Skylab did, so check out his review.

May 1, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #924 of 987
Question..so, when I use predator as DAC, it will automatically charge itself as well? ( i don't need to plug it to power grid?)

PS: or to put it in other words, can I use the USB to charge my Predator instead of using the power grid?

May 1, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #925 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by ace8888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question..so, when I use predator as DAC, it will automatically charge itself as well? ( i don't need to plug it to power grid?)

PS: or to put it in other words, can I use the USB to charge my Predator instead of using the power grid?

I believe the USB connection is for an audio signal only. Any and all charging must be done using the plug in power adapter. I wont bet my life on this but im pretty sure.

May 1, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #926 of 987
that is correct,

the USB will only power the DAC, but the battery requires the AC Adapter to recharge

May 1, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #927 of 987
The Predator sounds very good in combination with the Ultrasone Edition 9. A very intimate and natural reproduction of good recordings.

May 1, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #928 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the USB connection is for an audio signal only. Any and all charging must be done using the plug in power adapter. I wont bet my life on this but im pretty sure.

Thanks for the response.

So can I both plug the USB and also charge it to the power grid at the same time? It won't damage the amp?

May 1, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #929 of 987
You can do that and not worry.

May 1, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #930 of 987
Has anyone tried to use the Predator to play back MIDI (.mid) files? I'm thinking of re-downloading some of my old midi favs, and I'm wondering if the DAC in the Predator is setup to play this back. If so, would it be comparable to a regular sound card's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back