The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Jul 8, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #961 of 987
The Review should have been done with some homework. Man, he dropped the ball. Anybody knows Ray's gear knows you need to burn it in a few hundred hours to start with. I did at least 800 hours on my Tomahawk 33 days or something like that. Love my Tomahawk. My Uncle Bob is always trying to get to upgrade to something better so I will pass it on to him. Can't blame him. Good stuff.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #962 of 987
I have just put my Predator up for sale having only had it for less than 2 weeks with about 180 hours burn in.

I simply do not have the patience required to wait for this thing to cook and sound good.

At 180 hours I can already hear lots of improvement but simply don't have the time to wait to finish the job off.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #963 of 987
That's too bad anadin. With 180 hours on it, you could simply run it for another 2 weeks continuously, and then be done with almost 90% of the sound changes from burn-in.

I didn't like mine a lot in the first 200-250 hours. Once mine had 350 hours I found it pretty enjoyable, and 90% of the changes were done before 600 hours. After 600 hours it is just a little bit of refinement and depth and weight to the sound.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #964 of 987
I also found it interesting that the reviewer noticed an anudible improvement from the burn-in.

I was puzzled by his preoccupation with the gain setting. I thought there was no sonic difference between gain settings; that all the gain switch did was to give more control over the volume knob. Maybe I should experiment...

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #965 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just put my Predator up for sale having only had it for less than 2 weeks with about 180 hours burn in.

I simply do not have the patience required to wait for this thing to cook and sound good.

At 180 hours I can already hear lots of improvement but simply don't have the time to wait to finish the job off.

This makes no sense at all. This hobby is one that takes lots of patience and time to find the things that you like, and the components that have synergy with the rest of your system.
You say that you see "lots of improvement" but don't have anymore time? That's all we have...time. In the time that it takes you to sell your unit (including putting it up for sale, re-packaging it, and taking it to a shipper, then buying another amp, which will also be cold and new and need some time on it before sounding it's best), you would have finished your burn-in time.
That, and you could have been listening to it all the time during.

I have to believe that you are very young to exhibit this lack of patience and time constraints..
confused.gif
Not saying that all young people lack patience, they don't. It's just that as we get older and more mature, we realize that the world can be enjoyed more when you take everything in and let it simmer for a while.

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #966 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This makes no sense at all. This hobby is one that takes lots of patience and time to find the things that you like, and the components that have synergy with the rest of your system.
You say that you see "lots of improvement" but don't have anymore time? That's all we have...time. In the time that it takes you to sell your unit (including putting it up for sale, re-packaging it, and taking it to a shipper, then buying another amp, which will also be cold and new and need some time on it before sounding it's best), you would have finished your burn-in time.
That, and you could have been listening to it all the time during.

I have to believe that you are very young to exhibit this lack of patience and time constraints..
confused.gif
Not saying that all young people lack patience, they don't. It's just that as we get older and more mature, we realize that the world can be enjoyed more when you take everything in and let it simmer for a while.

x2 The journey is where a lot of the fun is!

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #967 of 987
I have stated this before but I enjoyed the journey with the Predator. It was like watching a child grow but I didn't have to change any diapers. Well the one constant in life is change so maybe there wasn't enough, change. :^)

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #968 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

I'm not that young
redface.gif
but surely me too I'd like to pay for cooked biscuits and cakes

make no lie here

I see and feel the point , same same way
cool.gif

and be sure , completely , I've grown & growl up to be about the music only -not the gears

( btw I'm a anadin' predator contender
tongue.gif
don't tell around )

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #969 of 987
Mine have 600 hours now, and i'm sure it worth the job to obtain mature amp, so i continue until 1400 hours.
i have soon an experience with my hornet (800 hours before obtain great result )
But, I understand anadin, burn in time is very long and if you don't really believe in improvement, you can't have the patience of waiting more time.
I think a lot of people 'll be in the same case, and there'll be some predators on the sale forum next time.
(just because out of box...)

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #970 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, I understand anadin, burn in time is very long and if you don't really believe in improvement, you can't have the patience of waiting more time.

I cannot fault a person for their beliefs (whether or not they believe in burn-in).
However, anadin did state that there was noticeable improvement after so many hours, which justifies the warm-up time.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #971 of 987
Yes, but honestely, improvement before 200 hours aren't important with this amp.
if the sound of my predator was the same as 200 hours, i sold it soon.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #972 of 987
I wonder if it's my Ed9 or the Predator that's doing most work here...

I'm at mid 300 hours with the Ed9 and a bit more with the Predator. Right now, whatever I listen to just feels a lot more "defined".
- The bloated-ish low end has tightened up considerably while preserving the gobs of bass the Ed9's have always had.. Me = bass head so I love that
biggrin.gif

- Decay of snares/drums, bass guitar, even the highs are all more apparent now, doesn't get sucked to the background as much as I used to hear them a hundred or so hours ago. I can use a bit more improvement here

Looking forward for upcoming changes

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #973 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if it's my Ed9 or the Predator that's doing most work here...

I'm at mid 300 hours with the Ed9 and a bit more with the Predator. Right now, whatever I listen to just feels a lot more "defined".
- The bloated-ish low end has tightened up considerably while preserving the gobs of bass the Ed9's have always had.. Me = bass head so I love that
biggrin.gif

- Decay of snares/drums, bass guitar, even the highs are all more apparent now, doesn't get sucked to the background as much as I used to hear them a hundred or so hours ago. I can use a bit more improvement here

Looking forward for upcoming changes

Akabeth,
I too love my AJO780J thru my 300-hour Predator! Have you tried one? I wonder how it is compared to the Ed9? Some say it's 85-90% of the Ed9 but I've never tried the Ed9s.

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #974 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Akabeth,
I too love my AJO780J thru my 300-hour Predator! Have you tried one? I wonder how it is compared to the Ed9? Some say it's 85-90% of the Ed9 but I've never tried the Ed9s.

I'm happy for you
biggrin.gif

Since this is not an Ultrasone thread... If I can summarize the Ed9's after hearing ALL of the Ultrasone headphones except for those funky looking iCans: the "Edition" series have some strange refinement over the 780's, 750's that I just can't explain. There are lots of threads about the Edition 9's that will help you connect the dots.

My Edition 9's are not stock, Ken modified mine just yours. I wrote a quick thread about this versus an Edition 7 (yup). Portable Showdown: Ultrasone Edition 7 vs ALO Edition 9 [Impressions] Guess which one the other guy liked better
cool.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #975 of 987
One of the reasons I have gone with the Predator is BECAUSE of the burn-in time!

Having read many accounts of this journey, I am really looking forward to what seems like an enjoyable (and probably educational to a non-audiophile like me) experience.

My Predator should be winging its way to me as we speak...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back