The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Jan 16, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #736 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get them at a much better price than that. I will have to research who I bought they from but they have some of the very best prices and are a very professional company I just can't remember the company name right now.

Thank you very much for the info,I changed my mind,and just purchased some Senn 650's off Ebay for three hundred dollars.I figured they would be all around good cans for my soon,in a few weeks Pico.I will keep the 750's in mind for another time.If my wife only knew!$$$$.LOL

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #737 of 987
I just received my predator, it's gorgeous, thanks ray! it's tiny! smaller than i expected. i haven't listened to it yet but i'll let you know!!

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #739 of 987
Northern Sound and Light might be $250 or so, plus shipping for PL750. I have the open PL2500, and use them more than my HD600, but not as much as my RS-2 with APS v3 cable. The RS-2 are developing more synergy with the Predator as it burns in.

You know how some people say the HD650 sounds like an HD600 on steroids? Well, my Ultrasone Edition 9 sound like a Proline 750 on methamphetamine! They work great with the Predator which+ is at 320 hours.

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #740 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Northern Sound and Light might be $250 or so, plus shipping for PL750. I have the open PL2500, and use them more than my HD600, but not as much as my RS-2 with APS v3 cable. The RS-2 are developing more synergy with the Predator as it burns in.

You know how some people say the HD650 sounds like an HD600 on steroids? Well, my Ultrasone Edition 9 sound like a Proline 750 on methamphetamine! They work great with the Predator which+ is at 320 hours.

Described very well thank you!

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #741 of 987
Just received my Predator - likely the Sonics' last season in town (while our Savior plays in OKC) but I'll always have the memories, thanks in large part to Ray and the two-tone, Green-and-Gold, serial# PRD35 - thank you Ray.

I know it's been answered but I can't find it - what are the charging guidelines after the first night? Can I keep it plugged in when not in use (within reason)? How frequently (if at all) should I do a full discharge?

You guys piling the hours on to break yours in: are you leaving them plugged in and running off your computer (or another non-rechargeable source) (not having to charge your iPod over and over)? I gotta get this guy broken in, but don't want to make a stupid mistake and damage my battery life.

Thanks! I'll post pics of the KD Edition for Head-Fi's sports fans.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #742 of 987
You can leave it plugged in all the time as the battery is taken out of the loop once charged. I have read that it is good to cycle the battery every 100 charges and that at first it should be run down all the way and then charged again, to condition it.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #743 of 987
is a very nice little amp! Can’t wait to fully discover it. I’m new to the portable gear thing but hooked. My set-up, Macbook pro/cowon D2, Shure se530 and now the Predator! :wink:

I have a view questions and hope to get some help/answers here.
  1. is it ok to only charge the predator by USB? And does it need more time to charge 100%?
  2. is it good/bad or can it harm to use the med or hi gain to drive the Shure se530?

kind regards,

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #744 of 987
Quote:

For the price of those Edition 9s, they oughta sound out-of-this-world superfantastic!!!

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #745 of 987
Quote:

The Ultrasone Edition 9's Look like a work of art,and the Ultrasone Edition 7's
Are quite beautiful in my favorite color blue.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #746 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by orlando island /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is a very nice little amp! Can’t wait to fully discover it. I’m new to the portable gear thing but hooked. My set-up, Macbook pro/cowon D2, Shure se530 and now the Predator! :wink:

1. is it ok to only charge the predator by USB? And does it need more time to charge 100%?
  2. is it good/bad or can it harm to use the med or hi gain to drive the Shure se530?

kind regards,

I hope I have made it clear in the little booklet about the charging of the Predator. Just plug it in & enjoy it. within 2-3 hours it will be fully charged. NO there is no light to tell you that. IF you happen to plug the Predator to the charger all the time it won't hurt the battery as once being charged it will stop charging automatically.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #747 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope I have made it clear in the little booklet about the charging of the Predator. Just plug it in & enjoy it. within 2-3 hours it will be fully charged. NO there is no light to tell you that. IF you happen to plug the Predator to the charger all the time it won't hurt the battery as once being charged it will stop charging automatically.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Hi Ray, what about the gain settings and the shure se530? can it harm the 530 when used with mid or hi gain?

kind regards,

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #748 of 987
Quote:

Hi Ray, what about the gain settings and the shure se530? can it harm the 530 when used with mid or hi gain?

kind regards,

You can use it with any gain your heart desires, but it is more flexible with lower gain, I recommended that you use the lower gain as it gives better control over the volume, specially with very sensative IEMs.
Ray Samuels

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #749 of 987
Quote:

kind regards,

It wont charge via USB, you charge with the wall power. You can use any gain level and volume that is comfortable to your ears, but you can play the SE530 loud enough to cause tinnitus (ringing) and hearing loss. Low gain is for when you have a strong input signal, or very efficient earphones like SE530 and you don't want to spend all your time with the volume knob at the lowest 10%.

Sounds like you have everything you need to be happy.

My advice to you is to now quit Head-fi, before you are assimilated!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #750 of 987
Goose bumps. . . last night I was listening to the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over". It sounded great but I also thought, "maybe it is end of day, late at night, mood, but it is still great". This morning, it ain't last night but the sound is. This little amp matures like fine wine. Such a clean delineation between notes, frequencies do not get lost in bass muddiness but all remain very dynamically presented in a layered an natural way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back