The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Jan 22, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #766 of 987
I guess I slid in at the end too. I sent my money last night per Ray's instructions. Looking forward to spedning some quality time with the Predator and listening to it grow.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #767 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My phones are the HD650 and K701. Will the Predator drive them?

Also, what type of adapter do you recommend? The type that comes with Grado RS1 (actual cable: 1/4 adapter => cable => 1/8 plug) or the type that comes with K701 (mini adapter attached to the 1/4)?

Running mine at medium gain now and 9 o'clock is comfy. High gain puts me to 7 o'clock and unity gain @ 1 o'clock.

Ideally no adapters, but I've read shortest is best. (Recabling my HD650s with a 1/8" and buying a 1/8 to 1/4" adapter) Can't imagine there is much difference between the two you mentioned (assuming the RS1 adapter is short, same config as the HD650 included adapter BTW), but the cable adds flexibility.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #768 of 987
Solid one color Predator is available at $15.00 more.
2 colors Predators are available for $25.00 more.
Charles, my son, took these pictures for these predartors just to give an idea as to limitless colors mix & match.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

DSC_0609ColorPredator.jpg

DSC_0607ColorPredator.jpg

DSC_0606ColorPredator.jpg

DSC_0604ColorPredator.jpg

DSC_0603ColorPredator.jpg

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #770 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solid one color Predator is available at $15.00 more.
2 colors Predators are available for $25.00 more.
Charles, my son, took these pictures for these predartors just to give an idea as to limitless colors mix & match.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!! Thanks for the pics!

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #771 of 987
Wow, silver/green combo is just astonishing! Somehow associates with Aston Martin for me.
Change bolts to silver to match front plate and it'll be a killer.

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #774 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoiseGUI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Running mine at medium gain now and 9 o'clock is comfy. High gain puts me to 7 o'clock and unity gain @ 1 o'clock.

Ideally no adapters, but I've read shortest is best. (Recabling my HD650s with a 1/8" and buying a 1/8 to 1/4" adapter) Can't imagine there is much difference between the two you mentioned (assuming the RS1 adapter is short, same config as the HD650 included adapter BTW), but the cable adds flexibility.

Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful. The reason I'm concerned about adapters is because I don't want to give the headphone jack of Predator undue stress, for long term durability. I already have Equinox cables with 1/4" connectors on them for use with my big amp. Re-cabling to accommodate the portable amp doesn't make much sense to me. I never expected true hi fi performance from a portable amp/source, however I'll admit an Equinox 1/4-to-mini adapter is a very tempting idea, since I use Equinox for both my K701 and HD650.

Speaking of long term durability, I observed that the Predator comes with lifetime warranty (except for the battery which is 3 yrs). So...theoretically I could just use whichever adapter I want, and if the headphone jack of the Predator becomes loose someday and cause connection problems, I send it back to Ray to fix it and I only need to cover shipping both ways. I'm assuming this is the case based on what I have read on RSA website (no specific type of adapter specified on the website). My Predator is actually on its way to me so maybe the manual will say something about the appropriate adapter to use...? I'll find out about that later. I don't even know if this is a real issue, as I am not familiar with RSA products, or portable in general. Ray?

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #775 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful. The reason I'm concerned about adapters is because I don't want to give the headphone jack of Predator undue stress, for long term durability. I already have Equinox cables with 1/4" connectors on them for use with my big amp. Re-cabling to accommodate the portable amp doesn't make much sense to me. I never expected true hi fi performance from a portable amp/source, however I'll admit an Equinox 1/4-to-mini adapter is a very tempting idea, since I use Equinox for both my K701 and HD650.

Speaking of long term durability, I observed that the Predator comes with lifetime warranty

In that regards, then the adapter to use is the cable version, as that will put less bending weight right at the plug. Assuming both adapters are decent quality, you shouldn't really notice a sonic difference given the short cable (based on what I've read, not actual knowledge).

Assuming you use the 1/4" more often, sounds like no point in changing the plug. If you start to use the mini more, you could probably get SAA the swap the plugs for you for a small fee. The nice thing about the equinox in mini adapter version, is that a mini to 1/4 adapter is included. Maybe this is why it is $10 more than the 1/4 version? I just happen to have bought my HD650 after I knew I would use it with the predator off my laptop, so I got the cable with the plug I'll primarily use. Very happy with my laptop rig so far, and really look forward to getting them burned in.

Your take on the warranty sounds right to me, but I'd doubt you'll have any issues. The tomahawk's connectors are a bit loose, but the predator is a tank! Of course the Tomahawk is intended for IEMs, and for that the connectors are sufficient.

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #776 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, how does the Predator live up to the Beyerdynamic DT880? Does it provide it with enough power to fully enjoy those cans?

Hey, I like to Chime in. I have brief listen at a Shop. DT880 250 Ohm Version.

The Predator will drive it with Authority with the Hi Gain Setting. Vol .At 11 o'clock Volume Position.

However, as with my HD580 at Home the internal battery will only be good for About Half of the Quoted time. About 24 hours. I know this because I ran Pink noise on that combo to " Burn in " the Predator. And since Battery need a few cycles to reach Full Charge Potential, It was OK to Do all Running in that at once.

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #777 of 987
Yes the HD series can absorb some current.

I changed the 1/4 jack for the 1/8 to 1/4 extension on my HD650's so it would work better. I found that the 1/4 socket grabs poorly and it made poor contact with the headphone 1/4 cable so I got an inexpensive Radio Shack 1/4 that is simple but actually pretty good. The contacts are copper and plated, the contact is far superior to the original HD series adapter. I don't hear the degradation I heard before and no longer mind using the 8 inch adapter that also relieves all strain from the mini socket.

On well recorded classical music the Predator sounds excellent. To my ear there is a natural sweetness to the music that is more akin to analog.

U2, the best of 1980-1990. With or Without You, has a great bass line that is contrasted well with the rest of the music. There is also a very good feeling of space and pace with the Predator.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #778 of 987
Count me as another happy Predator owner, I've got one paired with modded d5000, and love it.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #780 of 987
Dear head-fier & friends....
I recieve many requests & e-mails from many of you who are asking for the Predator at intro price. We have shipped more than 200 Predators which were the limit that we promised. I do not like to tell my friends that the deal is over by an e-mail as it sounds harsh, but it is better to post in this Predator forum to let every one know that the special intro price is over with. I hope all who do have the Predators are happy with their purchase, looking forward to some of your comments on the battery life or impressions as by now many Predators should have been burned-in.

The black Predator is now at the regular price of $475.00 + shipping.
Delivery or shipping is the same day payment recieved, no waiting period.
If you live in the US, you should get it 2-3 days via fed-ex.
Thanks
Ray Samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back