The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Jan 5, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #661 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't USB output only in 16 bit, so even if you used a 24 bit chip, would it make a difference?

USB signal is a carrier to the audio feed which can be 16 or 24 bit wide data.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #663 of 987
usb handles 24 bit data just fine. Windows stock usb sound drivers can't do greater than 48khz, but there are aftermarket drivers that can.

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #665 of 987
Dear jamato8, I know this is Ray's thread but may I commend you for your outstanding photographic work? Some of the best people images I have seen in a long time! Almost makes me restart this hobby that I gave up some 3 years ago due to job constraints.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #666 of 987
USB cable? As the Predator doesn't come with a usb connecting cable I used a cheap cable that came with a digital photo viewer keyring. Does the quality of the cable affect the quality of output when connected this way (usb to laptop)? Must admit it sounds great to me; just wonder if the cable could improve the sound further?

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #668 of 987
I have read otherwise, that a good quality USB cable can make a difference. It is digital but just like anything in digital there can be reflections of the signal and connects that can effect the signal. The standard is 20 or 28 gauge. I have read that running the heavier gauge in a quality USB makes a difference. It used to be that zip cord was good enough for speakers then Monster Cable came out and from there things got better but only because of the audiophile.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #669 of 987
I've "heard" otherwise
biggrin.gif
I have a few USB cables I got from different products and I have to admit I wouldn't be able to tell between them in a DBT, much like I can't really tell between TOSlink and coaxial.

I've always wondered whether different USB cables yield different transfer speeds... Now that's actually measurable.

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #672 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear jamato8, I know this is Ray's thread but may I commend you for your outstanding photographic work? Some of the best people images I have seen in a long time! Almost makes me restart this hobby that I gave up some 3 years ago due to job constraints.

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed them.

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #673 of 987
Now that the word is out that you can get a digital output from an iPod (see the recent Wadia announcement; apparently the 6G iPod Classic can output SPDIF to "authenticated" devices), I think I have to wait for an SPDIF version of the Predator. Looks like USB just became less interesting for those of us with iPod Classics and MacBooks...

Given the gravitational field of the iPod, I imagine that portable headphone amp makers will have to start thinking about revising to add SPDIF and the Apple approved "authentication chip."

Jan 6, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #674 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by flohmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that the word is out that you can get a digital output from an iPod (see the recent Wadia announcement; apparently the 6G iPod Classic can output SPDIF to "authenticated" devices), I think I have to wait for an SPDIF version of the Predator. Looks like USB just became less interesting for those of us with iPod Classics and MacBooks...

Given the gravitational field of the iPod, I imagine that portable headphone amp makers will have to start thinking about revising to add SPDIF and the Apple approved "authentication chip."

I must be out of the loop - I haven't heard of this.

Jan 6, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #675 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by flohmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have an odd thought process but if it makes you happy to have all of those different parts in the audio chain then your money will be well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back