The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Dec 5, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #271 of 987
I cant wait for this amp, and i'm getting mad on my CC coz I have trouble in transacting with Paypal here in Korea. Sorry for the delay on my order of Hornet. I hope I could join the first batch of Predator too.

Regards,

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #273 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoiseGUI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought at 50% volume the amp is only giving half of what it's got (regulating amperage right?), so you're not getting all it's got until the knob is at 100%, which is what you've calc'd in re: to the battery.

I am thinking that at worst, the cans will not be as loud as you want when the amp is giving all it's got at 11 gain and 100% volume. Did ray say any headphone, or just most headphones? Obviously 300 Ohms is alot for any portable amp.

The volume control only attenuates the input and has nothing to do with the power of an amp. Also remember volume controls are not linear so with the knob 50% up you may be letting through as little as 15% of the source signal level. You could build an amp and set it for a gain of 1,000 and you'd just reach clipping before you turn the knob 5 degrees....and needlessly be amplifying all of the hiss/hum in the circuit.

Ray stated it'll drive any headphone, well, most. I'm curious as to how it can drive higher impedance ones....I guess we'll have to wait and see. With a high gain, it should be able to get most all headphones to a LOUD level, it's just a matter if it clips everything in high gain without sufficient battery power backing it.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #274 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any pics of the housing yet?

you missed this?

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #280 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by double07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could see the message, but NO pic.

Can you still not see it? It's been there all along (at least every time I've checked, like when you posted that it wasn't there).

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #282 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My expensive camera some how decided to stop functioning, so we had these pictures taken by my son's phone, they will give you an idea as to the size of the Predator's prototype chassis, not anodized or silk screened, when compared to the Hornet & the Tomahawk.
As I have mentioned before, the Predator is smaller than the Hornet & a little longer than Tomahawk.
Ray Samuels

DSC00297.jpg

DSC06384A.jpg

DSC06383A-1.jpg

DSC06383A.jpg

Could be a photobucket issue-- I don't know.

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #285 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray,
Are you entertaining the idea of moving up to the UE11's?
smily_headphones1.gif

Working on it my friend, very soon hopsfully.
Ray Samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back