The PowerAmp for Android thread
Jan 25, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #16 of 35
Follow source frequency has been already asked as a requested feature on PA forums.
I paid for Poweramp, Neutron and UAPP, and UI of Poweramp is the best. Soundwise, UAPP > Neutron > Poweramp.
I use Uapp and Neutron for streaming from my NAS.
Uapp seems to follow frequency of files.
Too bad I cannot test Uaap. Fiio M11 is based on Android 7.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #17 of 35
Resurrecting this to ask about resampling. I have used Poweramp for years, on my last 2 phones, and my current phone is Galaxy S9.

Anyway, i just looked at the Audio Info report for the first time (never noticed it before) and was surprised to see that it is upsampling my 44.1kHz files to 48kHz. I found the Resampler setting in the Poweramp menus but there's no option to disable it -- it's just a choice between SW or SoX resamplers. Is there any way to stop this? What am I doing wrong? 99.9% of the files on my phone are 16 / 44.1 (wma losseless and flac, but some mp3 too).

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 35
Resurrecting this to ask about resampling. I have used Poweramp for years, on my last 2 phones, and my current phone is Galaxy S9.

Anyway, i just looked at the Audio Info report for the first time (never noticed it before) and was surprised to see that it is upsampling my 44.1kHz files to 48kHz. I found the Resampler setting in the Poweramp menus but there's no option to disable it -- it's just a choice between SW or SoX resamplers. Is there any way to stop this? What am I doing wrong? 99.9% of the files on my phone are 16 / 44.1 (wma losseless and flac, but some mp3 too).
Anyone still using Poweramp?

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #19 of 35
I have not found any way to disable resampling in Poweramp. With its current Google play version.

If you want to play your files with manually set sample rate though, you can try it by going to - Settings - Audio - Output - Hi-Res Output - and then here select whatever you are using, Headset, Speaker, Bluetooth, Usb Dac. Click on it. And then you should see a window where there is 'Sample rate' option. Click on it and choose manually the sample rate of the files that you are playing. That should stop it from resampling them. For example if you are playing 44.100khz mp3 or wav., set it to 44.100. The uncomfortable thing doing it this way is that every time you play file with different sample rate, you need always change it manually there.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #20 of 35
Looks like quoted the wrong person there. The above post was for bzippy. Apologies.

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #23 of 35
I've been using Poweramp for years - since v2 release. In terms of using Samsung's internal Cirrus Logic's DACs (Exynos versions) it just outclasses UAPP. Not even mentioning Neutron or other stuff.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #24 of 35
poweramp was my first app for music. then neutron came along. I used to go back and forth, dpending on convenience or wanting to hear more detail or fresh flacs made from cds. then poweramp had issues with premium DACs like lgv20 for a little bit. whne using my v20, poweramp all the way. external DAC? poweramp. I find it hard going to neutron these days but I still use it. I wish neutron had a better UI. it's all subjective though. i do think neutron delivers better detail with well recorded stuff but these days I am less of a wannabe audiophile and just want to listen to music.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #25 of 35
I've been using PowerAmp on my Fiio M15 for about six months now. I really like it. One of the best features for me is that it handles externally-created M3U playlists so well, even storing the last playing position for every playlist. Wonderful!

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #26 of 35
poweramp was my first app for music. then neutron came along. I used to go back and forth, dpending on convenience or wanting to hear more detail or fresh flacs made from cds. then poweramp had issues with premium DACs like lgv20 for a little bit. whne using my v20, poweramp all the way. external DAC? poweramp. I find it hard going to neutron these days but I still use it. I wish neutron had a better UI. it's all subjective though. i do think neutron delivers better detail with well recorded stuff but these days I am less of a wannabe audiophile and just want to listen to music.
I tried (and have Paid version) PowerAmp, HiBy and Neutron all. PowerAmp is way ahead of these. Both HiBy and Neutron sound very flat, thin and without any Bass and Air. So I am using PowerAmp only but still looking if something is even better. I use S10+. Is there any app to improve internal DAC? Few people mentioned UAPP is good but it isnot free to try and I doubt that it will be even 10% good of PowerAmp sound quality.

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #27 of 35
I tried (and have Paid version) PowerAmp, HiBy and Neutron all. PowerAmp is way ahead of these. Both HiBy and Neutron sound very flat, thin and without any Bass and Air. So I am using PowerAmp only but still looking if something is even better. I use S10+. Is there any app to improve internal DAC? Few people mentioned UAPP is good but it isnot free to try and I doubt that it will be even 10% good of PowerAmp sound quality.
It’s not my experience. But we do not have the same material, same ears and same brain.

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #29 of 35
Is there any app to improve internal DAC?
Neutron can upsample realtime to DSD. I recommend it 100%.

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-s10/specs/

The specs showing your phone can play up to at least DSD128.

I don't know if will work 100% though. But i think S10 is in the supported devices list. There is trial app, so you can try if it upsamples and the DSD output works on the Samsung. You may not hear difference, though on devices that support DSD there is positive change most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back