The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
Jan 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #436 of 493

Quote:
Empros the latest album is just superb. It got great reviews and album of the week in The Times, a rare accolade for a post rock group.

Oh wow, i hadn't even realized they released a new album, im bad at following things, i think i should join twitter just to make sure i dont miss out on this stuff.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #437 of 493
Oh wow, i hadn't even realized they released a new album, im bad at following things, i think i should join twitter just to make sure i dont miss out on this stuff.

Well joined twitter for that exact purpose yesterday, and this guy randomly followed me. Glad i checked him out instead of just ignoring him, his music is great.
https://twitter.com/#!/ScottHolmesRock
Doesn't have an album out yet but his albums sound studio quality. Looks like you can just download his stuff for free directly from the soundforge he links to.
Great music + Great quality + Free = Awesome

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #438 of 493
Well this has to be my favorite thread on Head-fi, can't let it die. My collection was getting really stale until i met Post-Rock. The best genre out there, i have not found a person who listened to Russian Circles "Carpe" and didn't say it was awesome.
Anyways Scott Holmes has his album for pre order to come out on March 7, my birthday, so guess what ill probably get myself.
Also Russian Circles got #9 on Metacritics best albums of 2011, truthfully the recording wasn't that good and it wasn't my favorite album but still a great album and if Post-Rock gets closer to mainstream the world will get closer to being a good place. Noone can argue with delicious sounded guitars, moving drums, and a open soundstage for the instruments to explore. Russian Circles have solved a few arguments and got the poker game back going when the older ones wanted their Oingo Boingo and Rush and we wanted anything newer. Seriously cant argue with good sounding instruments.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #439 of 493
Don't recall how I came upon these artists/tracks, but I love them regardless.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #440 of 493
UK band Brontide, heavy math rock and their debute Sans Souci

"A debut album that is every bit as nod-along appealing as the best pop to have emerged in time for the summer season" - BBC Music

"Sans Souci" is a continuous piece of music that ascends and descends with ease. Articulate, virtuoso and surprisingly entertaining! - Clash Magazine

"In it's willingness to experiment, "Sans Souci" successfully earns every minute of it's run time." - Rocksound Magazine

"A hugely accomplished debut" - Kerrang Magazine

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #441 of 493
Well first off, hello new to the forum. Just read this entire thread, surprised to not have seen Elliot mentioned. False Cathedrals is one of my favorite records of all time. Very happy to see Slint mentioned, most people I know have mysteriously never heard of them, and I hang out with the type of kids who name drop bands as matter of course. If anyone remembers Doghouse records, I worked there in the early 00's, will have to dig out some of the rare stuff I have on vinyl and post some pics. Speaking of which, as I am currently in Bloomington Indiana, and worked at Doghouse, Chamberlain anyone?

Just dug through the records I brought with me, had to put the rest in storage during my PhD.
Again shocked to see some bands omitted:
Portrait
Envy
Arab on Radar
Combat Wounded Veteran
His Hero is Gone
Milemarker

Then stuff that I listen to that sorta fits with this thread, although not to the letter:
Forstella Ford
Saetia
You and I
Racebannon
Mara'akate
Neil Perry
Usurp Synapse
Holy Molar
Swing Kids
Hot Cross
Melt Banana
Light the Fuse and Run
The Assistant
Orchid
Bucket Full of Teeth
Clickitat Ikatowi
Transistor Transistor
12 Hour Turn
and many many more...

I really don't know where to place these bands, genre naming conventions stopped making sense to me after I heard someone call something "emo violence art noise" I always just called it emo, but I guess that word is probably a pejorative around this forum.

Well, that is it for now, love to talk music hit me up.

HI, hope to learn a lot from everyone here, so far it has been daunting but informative.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #442 of 493
Just got myself a ticket to Russian Circles
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #443 of 493
Eclectic post rock by Talkdemonic.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #444 of 493
They just repressed Elliot- False Cathedrals on 180 gram vinyl, limited to 500 copies. Picked one up, sounds fantastic.

Elliott's debut full-length, "U.S. Songs," was released in June of 1998 to critical acclaim while winning the hearts of the independent music world. After a year and a half of touring and songwriting, the band found themselves in Los Angeles recording "False Cathedrals" with accomplished producer/engineer Toby Miller (Wallflowers, Korn, Fiona Apple). Far surpassing and all but abandoning their post-hardcore roots, Elliott created a sophisticated and elegant rock album of epic proportions. Now available again on 180 gram vinyl and limited to 500 copies. Vinyl version includes free digital download of this record.

http://revhq.com/store.revhq?Page=search&Id=REV095&T=1

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #446 of 493
Loving this, happy anthemic electronica post rock by Saxon Shore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s90gJ0HJOMY

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #447 of 493
This has been a grower, Grails and Deep Politics. I did not like it the first couple of listens, but the more classical/mellow style has really grown on me.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #450 of 493
New album by If These Trees Could Talk was released this week. Personally, these guys are in my top 5 for post-rock bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back