The Post and Math Rock appreciation thread.
Dec 10, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #406 of 493
Dec 10, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #408 of 493

Quote:

What a cool site.  Thanks.

(It's eerie how much the results resembled my iPod when I searched Radiohead.)

You're welcome :) It's a lot of fun to mess around on there.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #409 of 493
Hurrah! Tortoise are now on Spotify.

PS - I saw Battles live a while back and I think both albums are superb.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #411 of 493
My first post rock album, bought at a Scout jumble sale for 10p, brand new still in its cellophane cover. And still my favourite Tortoise album.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #412 of 493
Not an album I listen to often, but this song in particular kicks some ass
beyersmile.png

Wondering what your opinions are on vocals in post rock/metal. Obviously if someone is singing throughout the entire song its usually not considered post anymore, but bands such as the one I just posted are still considered post metal even with their limited vocals.Personally, I prefer no vocals at all unless there is a random yell here or there to build tension or excitement like ASIWYFA employs. My favorite band, Pelican, has used vocals on only one of their songs, "Final Breath". While its hard for me to totally hate on a Pelican song, I would have to say that it is one of my least favorite just because of the vocals. Opinions?

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #413 of 493
Mogwai have used vocals on and off and the latest album is considered by some to be too vocal. When I saw Battles they had various tracks with vocals, with the singer (including Gary Numan) shown recorded on a screen behind the band.

I am quite happy with the odd vocal excursion, afterall post rock is about experimenting.

But, I want the vocals to remain in the background and to be part of the music as if they are an instrument. The Battles track 'Atlas' is a good example of that with the distorted vocals that mix in with the music. That way the music will not be a background to the vocals.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #415 of 493
Dec 12, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #416 of 493
Please describe to me, in your own words and without using or referencing Wikipedia, what is Post Rock & what it sounds like, and what is Math Rock & what it sounds like. One short sentence for each genre.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #417 of 493

Math Rock is music which is based from special time signatures. Sounds like Meshuggah.
Post Rock is using more subtle cords in guitar and drone type song progressions. Sounds like Isis.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #418 of 493
Post rock is more progressive rock in style and varies like prog rock does from jazzy/folk based (Balmoreah, Tortoise, Yippah) through electronica based (65daysofstatic), anthemic moody (Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky) to metal based (Russian Circles, Animals As Leaders) with a whole load in between. Math rock is more punk/new wave based and has a jagged quality to it that can overlap with the metal end of Post Rock (ASIWYFA, Don Caballero).

This short article goes into a bit more detail

http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=32

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #419 of 493
The American Dollar 'A Memory Stream', soaring, stunning ambient anthemic, superb

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #420 of 493
I guess I got Math Rock confused with Math Metal. Americans are so obsessive about genre naming. In the end I guess it helps when talking about different types of music. I thought Animals As Leaders was Math Metal mixed with Progressive Metal also. I would guess much older Progressive Rock could be looked at as having a heavy math structure, as King Crimson in the early eighties had crazy time signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back